So I posted these sketches for new sculpt ideas to my social medias and got some good feedback. Everyone seemed to be a big fan of the Raccoon and since he was one of my favorites from the pack also, I decided to sculpt him!

I didn't have my phone with me to get pics of the initial wire frame and GS layer but I went over that with some Fimo clay and baked an underlying structure now and I'll start layering my Primo on top of that.

FB_IMG_1527875052072.jpg

IMG_20180601_123909.jpg

IMG_20180601_123903.jpg

• Like 17

Ok, idk if my new clay is way softer than I'm used to or I'm just doing details much smaller than usual but this took forever to get all the texture right. The eyes are a base layer so I can build lids and facial structure around that. The recesses in the sides of the pants will be where I add in criss cross laces.

The wire armature for his front arm was WAY lower than it should've been so I'm hoping I can just bend the wire back up to it's correct position and sculpt on top of that. If not I'll have to clip it off and drill another hole where it should've been.

IMG_20180601_170659.jpg

IMG_20180601_170627.jpg

• Like 13

Update: added criss cross laces and eyelets to the pants. Going to add in some wrinkle suggestions around the eyelets to give it a tight leather look. 

IMG_20180604_212130.jpg

• Like 10

Finished up the pants by adding wrinkles around each eyelet and across the bum. Roughed out the head shapes today. The face needs refinement but this was all I could do without magnifiers and my head hurts too much today to wear those. I will add the nose to the snout after baking, probably at the same time as adding the ears. I want to leave the hands and feet till next to last so I can balance any wonky composition concerns by sizing those to suit my needs.

IMG_20180606_133728.jpg

• Like 14

He's looking awesome!!

I love your sketches at the top too. I have no experience with that drawing out that part of "character creation." I love creating the emotional and physical parts, but I struggle with translating that into their clothing, stance, and accessories. So I'm super excited for your ReaperCon class. <3 I have a huge project I want to do, but I'm waiting until after I learn to do it haha!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Wow.  Very clean lines. I like his expression.

Thanks! That was a super important component of the design for me so I'm glad that it's working!

Added ears and nose also added GS to the arm wires. The next clay layers will be to work on the vest/chest area then probably belts/buckles, arms/weapons, feet, then tail. Still a lot to do but making good progress I think.

IMG_20180614_152259.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good.  So does this mean you aren't going to have to redo the armature for that left arm? 

On 6/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, kristof65 said:

Looking good.  So does this mean you aren't going to have to redo the armature for that left arm? 

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be fine. After adding the GS the bulk shouldn't be excessive. I'll have to be contentious of managing my clay thicknesses to make sure it looks even with the other side.

• Like 2

Starting on the vest. In my original concept art I just did some cross marks on the vest like it was quilted or something but since I've already done that texture on another figure I wanted to do this one as a more simple leather which would theoretically let the character be more agile in his movements. 

I've marked all the seams, the big folds, collar, and holes for laces. I had put the little cap sleeves on but I removed them in order to layer them over the arms instead of trying to shove clay into the sleeves. 

I'm happy with the progress so far, I had to put it aside for a couple of days to work on other commission work so, it feels good to get back to it. 

IMG_20180619_174436.jpg

• Like 7

Finished polishing up the folds (thanks to my stepson for modeling for me) and added the stitches and buckles to the vest. 

IMG_20180620_141203.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 11