That's coming along nicely. I like the naturalistic creases and folds in the fabric; it always works out so much better from a life model than from the imagination.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MojoBob said:

That's coming along nicely. I like the naturalistic creases and folds in the fabric; it always works out so much better from a life model than from the imagination.

So true! haha Much to the chagrin of my family members who are never excited to model for me!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

So true! haha Much to the chagrin of my family members who are never excited to model for me!

Bribe them with Ice Cream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Or cookies.  Cookies can work as a pretty good bribe too. 

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

41 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Or cookies.  Cookies can work as a pretty good bribe too. 

I shall heed these words and lure my victims with confectioneries in the future

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I shall heed these words and lure my victims with confectioneries in the future

Of course, that only works until the grow up to the age of "No thanks, I'm watching my carbs" 

• Haha 1

So today's update is less than awesome. The last few days here has been a humid thunderstorming nightmare which made most of my work yesterday just trying to get clay to stick to the figure. I sat down in the studio today and decided that it wasn't worth trying to save so I ripped off the arms I had been working on and decided to put the base layer for the tail instead.

This will be baked and then I'll layer the actual fur of the tail on top. If I tried to sculpt the fur straight away with this thickness it would move all over the place, I'd inevitably create air bubbles which would crack the figure when baked, or at the very least force me to spend much more time than necessary. So I bake the basic shape which gives me a firm base to build on making it much easier to layer the textures I want and much less chance of creating air bubbles in the clay.

Tune in next episode for fur!

IMG_20180622_161617.jpg

• Like 6

As promised, fur. I was really struggling with air bubbles and was almost sure i didn't get them all out before baking. My plan was to let the clay crack, use an exacto to cut off the damaged parts and simply repair that section as opposed to spending more hours trying to work out the air bubbles beneath the texture. It may still surface in later bakes but for now, all is well. 

IMG_20180623_141415.jpg

Personally, I really like the more Disney-esque look of the smooth face on my figures. However, I got some very good critique from Michael Proctor during the last ReaperCon when he told me that without texture on the face it makes it harder for painters to paint and in general gives the figure a helmet type look. I definitely could see what he meant and have tried to improve my sculpting accordingly. With the last figure i simply covered the face with the same hair texture I had given the rest of the body. This time around I want to try something different and possibly reach a happy medium? I saw this photo and I really loved the movement and the implication of fur without it needing to be everywhere. So I'm using this as inspiration for this sculpt and we'll see how it goes.

285b3467da58d7ba7ce73a25b299d81c.jpg

• Like 6

Well, I got the basic structure for the front arm sculpted. It needs to be thicker and i'll adjust that in the upcoming fur layer. I attempted the implied fur on various parts of the face but this seemed to be the best solution. The back of the head still needs refinement before i'm ready to bake but solid progress was made for the day so I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

IMG_20180625_141547.jpg

• Like 4

It's difficult to work while traveling and visiting family but I managed to sit down for a couple hours to refine the fur on the head. I might call this part done and move on. I may touch stuff up for another hour, idk haha 

IMG_20180628_093946.jpg

• Like 5

Hit quite a few problems. I needed more space at the bottom for boots because I made him too short.

So, I pulled the wire out of the cork a bit more and put some tough boot shapes in. I added a wire for the scarf, covered that in GS, and I'm starting on the cloth texture for that. I also made the front arm too long so I had to compensate for that by moving the beginning of the hand up a bit and chopping off some wire.

I took off the hair from the back of the head cuz I wasn't happy with it. Then I finished sculpting the arms and base hands shapes. Tomorrow will be another long work day so we'll see how much I can get done.

IMG_20180702_123048.jpg

• Like 7

Great work and thanks for the explanations

Loth

• Like 1

Ok, one step back and two ahead again today. The wire I used yesterday for the scarf was just too big to work around so I ripped it off and tried again. I didn't have a small enough wire so I twisted together a few strands of itty bitty wire I usually use for fingers. 

So, new shapes for the scarf but I'm much happier with how it's coming out this go around. As @tailspinner always says "become friends with the scalpel". 

I also did the fingers for the front hand which should be ready to add the glove on top of tomorrow.

IMG_20180703_155349.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 7

Still making back and forth progress. I took the temporary boots off and added some more GS to fill out the calves which will make a better structure to build on top of. Finished the scarf, front shoulder pad, and glove on the front hand. I also made a wireframe for the dagger that he'll be holding and coated that in an Apoxie/GS mix. 

IMG_20180706_115746.jpg

15308964199762404188723154243922.jpg

• Like 4