Brianuk

Frostgrave GA ships work in progress

I found some cardboard boxes in a boat shape online and am turning them into a Cog, a sloop, and a shipwreck. 

At the moment am just cutting and putting the cardboard structures back together. Once it is all assembled will figure out how to texture it and add detail. In particular I need to think about a mast and about how to show planks along the curved sides. All ideas welcome.

Am going to keep it so that the decks come off and allow access to the hold and the cabin.

These boxes only cost £3-£3.80 each so it cost about £13 for the raw materials for two ships. 

20180602_160849.jpg

20180602_230629.jpg

20180602_231322.jpg

20180602_230648.jpg

• Like 18

Wow, those are great!  

The fact you can actually open it up and use the below decks space is excellent.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done. I would keep masts and rigging to a basic minimum so that they will not interfere with moving figures about during games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So those are really great. Any chance you could PM me a link to the shop, or give me the name and model number? I did a search for "carboard boat shaped box" and couldn't find anything. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, yes I was pleased to find these. I think the original craft application for them is for trinket boxes or small sets of shelves so they are actually really sturdy. The main attraction was to have the curve shapes and the compartments below deck and for making the focsle and captains cabin (I part company with nautical terms quite early). 

7 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Very nicely done. I would keep masts and rigging to a basic minimum so that they will not interfere with moving figures about during games.

That is the way I am looking at it. I probably won't have a full sail or maybe won't have a cross piece to the mast, in particular. Or it will be something I can take out. 

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

So those are really great. Any chance you could PM me a link to the shop, or give me the name and model number? I did a search for "carboard boat shaped box" and couldn't find anything. Much appreciated.

Have pm'd you but I think they come up if you search "paper mache boat box to decorate" or "box ruderboot" (I am English but they come from a German distributer). 

• Like 2

Have got some photos showing the ship wreck bit, and the only major structural addition I had to make. I used strong mounting board card to make the focsle for the sloop. I am clamping it together after gluing (just using mod podge) and seems to dry well and hold. 

20180603_074258.jpg

20180603_075046.jpg

20180603_075052.jpg

• Like 14

This is fantastic!!

I can't wait to see how they turn out.:winkthumbs:

• Thanks 1

You can bend wood when it's wet ... ah la spiral stair case hand rail ... soaked pre cut popsicle sticks / balsa or similar sized thin wood will conform to the shape you force it to with water , then you can use a light stain for a nice real wood look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Managed to do a bit more work on these. Have added a foam plug to the underside of the two cabin decks. I have then used coffee stirrers to make the deck floors. I haven't cut the ones on the main deck because I am going to use 5mm foam to create the detail for the cabin doors and windows. That will sit on top of the rounded ends of the stirrers. 

20180605_225839.jpg

20180607_052258.jpg

20180607_052251.jpg

20180607_053539.jpg

• Like 10

Deck Planking. Are the stirrers glued down? (The planking should be aligned forward and aft, the same as it is in the middle part of the ship. Following picture shows why: )

Deck_Large.jpg

The underlying structure is beams that are arranged across the width of the ship. A ship has Crosstimbers from bow to stern.  Planking will always be nailed down at 90° to the cross timbers. (Like that board the temporary ladder is resting on.)

Masts and rigging, removable. The best trick I have ever seen to accomplish this involved spent brass. 

il_570xN.1305577072_nact.jpg?version=1

Glue one of these ^ to the deck. Then a dowel-stick mast can sleeve in and out. Then it is possible to have different versions of the rigging, such as: furled, full sail, and dismasted (to show battle damage or for that wrecked hull).

The Hulls. I want to think the base product for the hull is sometimes called a “shadow box” but I have had no luck digging up a Link. ( Nice Find @Brianuk ) @Smokestack I will be looking at Michael’s or JoAnn’s in the US, they ought to have them, (no idea what the landlubbers might be calling them).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Wow thanks for this. The middle deck timbers run 'fore and aft', but the ones for the upper decks (ie the roof to each cabin) runs horizontally. I am not sure if that is accurate or not but I liked the effect. 

I might use pvc or brass plumbing pipe as a base for the mast. The authorities here would probably tell me off if I try and find small arms shell casings! 

There must be somewhere in US that makes these boxes. Efco dot de are the German distributor and I have seen the on UK and German Amazon and on ebay. 

Thanks again 

• Like 2

“Darcie” is a manufacturer of these products, anything and everything but boats currently. :mellow: The ones in this thread could be a discontinued item. 

They come up on US ebay for USD 4.14 or USD 5.26 plus shipping of USD 4.66. I think there is a shipping discount for buying more than one. I would put a link in but some fora don't like it when you do that. I just typed "paper mache boat" into ebay and the company I brought from came up. I don't know if shipping makes them too expensive though... 

Edited by Brianuk
  • Like 1

Good call Brian: This Forum does not permit commerce links (unless they go to Reaper’s own store).

Slow progress on these due to other commitments but have laid the desk on the smaller ship and stuck in the foam panels for the cabin windows and doors. The wooden frames will be painted the same colour as the foam plank walls so it should cover my wonky wood work. 

Next steps, adding rails and building up the gunwhales, and then biting the bullet and painting and adding whatever texture or detail I add to the exterior of the ships. I also need to add masts, figurehead, hatches, stairs. So lots to do! 

20180616_061213.jpg

20180616_061221.jpg

20180616_061248.jpg

20180616_061305.jpg

• Like 12