I have been kicking around an idea of combining #50188 Sleeping Beauty and #03600 Praying Paladin in a mini diorama.. I have even gotten so far as to open their blisters and prime the paladin..

Then, tonight, I had an Idea!  See, last year when my kids and I were playing Frostgrave, I backed a kickstarter for some resin scenery .  As per usual, however, by the time the scenery arrived, they had lost interest in Frostgrave.

Combined with some iffy casts, I had put the box off to the side under my desk and forgotten about it..  until tonight, that is..

What we now see here was billed as a watchtower hill, but looks like a potential mausoleum.. 

1495161796_2018-06-0319_16_34.thumb.jpg.a3f3461a837581d97a41d3c3ac95d972.jpg

Add a saddled horse, maybe a couple of other party members, and "Bob's your uncle!"

I'm going to need to invest in some green stuff to clean up the cast for the 'table' top where the pillars connect as they're way off at the moment..

129240000_2018-06-0319_25_55.thumb.jpg.28514d73438a37a7a8e4044044dc8e26.jpg1490593758_2018-06-0319_25_45.thumb.jpg.d2d970d05a07659401bfa51f3c9befad.jpg

Alternatively, I have a 'ruined palace' that might work as well.. 

1594893049_2018-06-0319_17_42.thumb.jpg.443163d62fb5f442c9181425cbb12579.jpg 

The second won't need as much cleanup or modification to work, also leaving the watchtower for a dragon or something to perch on at some point as well.. 

decisions, decisions.. 

• Like 22

In the frosty north you have ... frost , and icicles to help hide gaps ... in the jungles ivy and such ... moss in forest ... lots of options ... the watch mausoleum temple seems more dynamic ,  and more work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eldamir said:

I have even gotten so far as to open their blisters

Well that's it then. No turning back now.

:ik_oops:

I find your ideas for the terrain and minis interesting and will curiously follow your progress.

Good luck!

:winkthumbs:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Amazing set up!

Who is the manufacturer of that terrain?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Who is the manufacturer of that terrain?

Norba Miniatures - and it looks like they've finally added the kickstarter scenery to their website as well.

• Thanks 1

Hmm.. now to find a good saddled horse.. preferably in a hobbled/grazing stance.. 

• Like 2

Horses acquired!  In this case, from Warlord Games.

1041844248_2018-06-0913_38_08.thumb.jpg.7c7e9d2d8011a128763d4d96e933b2af.jpg

Am thinking that I might need another adventurer or two for companions.. off to ponder the Reaper catalog for more ideas..

• Like 12

Love the idea and it's really coming together!  Looking forward to more!

• Like 1

Introducing the rest of our intrepid band of adventurers...

Dicarus Darksword, Halfling    #03439
Nadia of the Blade #03409

Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard    #03491

Maybe it's cheating that all 3 were done last year, but hey.. money's not growing on trees this year and they fit the 'non-threatening pose' bill.

1628749319_2018-06-1014_06_08.thumb.jpg.f29336be672dea7e0cc2285213228623.jpg

Either Dicarus has to ride behind the wizard or I'm going to need a pony of some sort eventually too.. or a dog mount!

And now, I suppose I need to actually paint something .. 

• Like 11

First layer down on the base.. I might need another bottle of Stormy Grey soon!

2018-06-10 19.17.08.jpg

• Like 11

The paladin is mostly done .. need to do his broccoli base and magnetize it still.

2018-06-10 19.52.06.jpg

edit: Easiest eyes ever!

Edited by eldamir
spelling..
  • Like 12

835401844_2018-06-1214_47_23.thumb.jpg.441f752d414b8d1fa38427d2f4a0e623.jpg

Found a  horse for my halfling! They were supposed to be 28mm armored horses, but they're more in the 15-20mm range, I think.. 

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 10

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LarsM
      Finally got around to take pictures of my Warhammer diorama.
      I entered it into a local competition, and was lucky enough to win the Warhammer category. Thanks to everyone who wrote a comment in the WIP thread.
      Link here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81383-warhammer-diorama-pic-heavy/

..Sorry for the overload of pictures!  -could'nt help myself..

Although on these pictures I can see many mistakes, I am quite happy with it.
      Hope you enjoy it, and as always any comment, critiq or question is welcome.

• By Heisler
      This is the third in a series of four posts each concentrating on a different entry category. You can find information about the scoring system itself in the Painter Division post. From here forward I will just concentrate on how the component guidelines apply to the other three divisions

Diorama Division
      The Diorama Division does not exist in the MMSI structure. At MMSI a diorama goes into the Open Division as it encompasses the same set of skills. I, however, felt the Open Division ignored or down played the story and what is a diorama without a story?  This is the division that lets you show off the same skills that the Open Division does and wrap it around a story. Again if you have just a single entry then the judges can just go ahead and score your entry, no discussion is necessary. If you have multiple entries, then there will be a discussion between the judges on which entry they want to score. That conversation is typically the only conversation although these discussions tend to be longer than they might be in the Painter Division.  However, when selecting the scoring entry the conversation is still based on “I can score this one higher than the others” or words to that affect, till they come to a decision just as it would be for the Painter Division. 

Let’s take a quick look at the scoring guidelines the judges use (which is published as part of the MSP Open rules. One cautionary note’ these particular scoring guidelines may change slightly):
      Difficulty: 10%
      Creativity: 20%
      Workmanship: 15%
      Painting Skill: 30%
      Presentation: 25%

What does this mean for the Diorama Division? In this division we are really want to see all your hobby skills as well as your story telling ability. While the components remain the same the emphasis has obviously changed a great deal.

Difficulty: This is a tough one for the Diorama category, since most dioramas are difficult to begin with. We reduced the emphasis here because we feel that you should not take a hit for a good story that is comparatively simple to tell.  

Creativity: Creativity steps up a bit here.  While painting is still factor this is the portion that shows us the story you are telling. Now painting is combined with your ability to convert, sculpt and tell a story to your audience. The entrant’s imagination comes into play here, you are looking to tell a story to your viewers. You are striving for the audience to understand your story without commentary from you. It can be subtle or in your face but if you have to explain it then you have not succeeded.

Workmanship: This remains a pretty straightforward component but in the Diorama Division there is a higher emphasis on it. It reflects how well constructed the entire piece is. Any type of non-painting effort is represented here. This is includes your ability to do conversions and/or scratch sculpt or at least be able to blend your miniatures in with the scene you have constructed. A missed mold line, poor assembly or a poorly executed conversion could easily drop you a while numeric value in the scoring.

Painting Skill: Everything that was said about painting still applies in the Diorama Division but there is less emphasis. At this point workmanship and creativity components exceed the painting component. While we don’t expect your abilities to be exactly equal in those areas you cannot count on your ability to paint alone to carry you over the top.

Presentation:  There is more emphasis on the is component as well. You are building the entire entry, essentially from scratch, and the presentation of everything you do affects the story. From the miniatures to the setting, this is where it all comes together. How you present it can be the difference between gold and silver.
    • By althai
      Since the piece does contain some nudity, I'm only showing back/side views here to respect the forum rules. More angles are available at my website, https://www.lightminiatures.com/come-back-to-me-my-love/.

I also have a bit of a backstory and a LOT of work-in-progress photos of both the painting and some of the sculpting work I did for the resurrection effect and other parts of the diorama. It's definitely worth checking out. :) For anyone who was at ReaperCon and didn't get a chance to check out the booklet (I know how cons can be), the blog post is basically the same thing.

The main figure is 03784: D’Vandra Lukesia by Bobby Jackson. The resurrection effect is constructed using 03639: Bella, Succubus by Patrick Keith, and Secret Weapon’s skeleton kit. Everything else is scratchbuilt out of putty, plastic card, parchment paper, cork tile, and wire, apart from two resin vases I got from somewhere I can't remember.

If you have any comments, questions, or constructive criticism, that is always welcome!

• By eldamir
      Finally finished with my first 'original' diorama.  I backed a terrain kickstarter last year when my kids were playing Frostgrave with me and by the time it all arrived, their attention spans had wandered - and so, the terrain pieces went back into the box they came with and were (mostly) forgotten..

Meet Sir Felshire, paladin of Sune.  One evening, as he was on 3rd watch, he was presented with a vision of a beautiful maiden, locked in enchanted sleep deep within a forest. Waking his companions, he excitedly told them of his vision.  Dobbin, the halfling dismissed the tale, stating that there are so many stories of maidens imprisoned by evil that he has made entire fortunes off them ( err.. could have, that is).. Sir Felshire wondered, not for the  first time, at the slip of language that hinted that his companion might not be as honest as he presented himself to be.  The other two members of the group, Erryn and Anirion, were more easily swayed by his drive to rescue this maiden.

After many months of searching, here we have the brave band at the pinnacle of their quest..

Our fearless band's mounts!

Isn't she cold?

Dobbin, thrilled as usual, keeping an eye out while the others are occupied..

Anirion, the androgynous wizard..

Erryn and Sir Felshire..

Now how does one awaken a princess in enchanted sleep? Perhaps our merry band of adventurers is not done yet!  Dobbin will be thrilled...

I had a lot of fun painting these folks, even if I did wimp out and skip on the original idea of attempting translucent sheets..  The WIP is here
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)