In our last spelljammer game Hubby set us up to attack a lone space orc asteroid base. Supposedly, there's someone in it that needs our help. 

There's a medium sized asteroid, with an unknown number of scro ships docked at it. We just have the one ship, with two miniguns. Our crew is 14 members, with all roles accounted for. We don't have any smaller boats, we don't have anything like jet packs, and we aren't a stealthy ship.

But I am completely stumped on how to get onto the dang asteroid without getting us killed. The best I could come up with was approaching from the sunward side, in the hopes that it would blind them. But still, they have more firepower than us. 

Can anyone help me with ideas that aren't completely dumb? I've got the dumb ideas covered :rolleyes:

Edited by redambrosia

Could you intercept and capture one of their ships, and approach the base using that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Derelict and set your 'jammer adrift near the asteroid, wait for someone to come out to salvage it, and jump them? Then take their ship and fly it in with yours in tow?

• Like 2

Recruit a Navy?  Does Spelljammer have Orc-hating space dwarves? ...or SpaceElfs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Red, how does Spelljammer define “Medium” in regard to asteroids..?

Is the object a basically a castle floating in JammerSpace ? hundreds of yards across, or bigger than that like several miles across, 50-80 miles across ? 

The upper limit is at around 500 miles diameter  |  objects start rounding themselves with gravity at around there. 

But Spelljammer lore and your Hubster the GM may have quashed a lot of regular Physics in favor of other ideas. 

Tell us more. 

• Like 1

Find out where they get their supplies, who are their allies. fly the appropriate colors, try to bluff your way into docking, and then boarding action the heck out of it.

alternatively, fire ships/ decoy fleet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My thought is making use of Continual Darkness spells on tons of little items that can be attached to the ship. Best bet would be netting with baubles who have the darkness on them, or on sails.

Against the blackness of space, the ship will be very hard to spot unless against a bright background. And the "net/sail of darkness" also has the benefit of being easy to fold up tightly. Visibility from the ship may be an issue if not careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What're the scro like in the campaign?

I picture scro generally having a combination of very rough, home-built ships and then whatever they can take as prizes.  Since they have a hodgepodge fleet, any ship could be a scro ship.  So you could use paint and whatnot and make the ship look like it's a scro ship and fake being scro until you get close enough where someone might see you.

If the scro are slavers and the crew contains someone who could pose as scro, you could set up a ruse like that.

Alternatively, if the scro have allies, you could try impersonating those allies.  (Or maybe paying off said allies.)

Anything interesting in your hold you could use for trade goods?  If you have enough force that you could obviously repel a group of scro, you could pose as some sort of trader.  (The scro won't trade with you unless you have something they want and they can't take it from you by force.)

• Like 1

Blubber bomb them ... polymorph whales into worms , fly to a good range , cast a dispel magic between you and the enimy base ... throw worms through dispel magic zone at base ... see how they like multi ton whale impacts ... blubber bombardment is highly underrated yet very effective,  and very cinematic ...

That's a horrible thing to do to whales, even pretend ones :mellow:

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Recruit a Navy?  Does Spelljammer have Orc-hating space dwarves? ...or SpaceElfs?

Hubby has the elven armada. I'm not sure, but I think he took most of his material right from the spell jammer module. That was one of the ideas we thought of, but we're not sure if our mission to help someone has a time limit on it. 

7 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

What're the scro like in the campaign?

I picture scro generally having a combination of very rough, home-built ships and then whatever they can take as prizes.  Since they have a hodgepodge fleet, any ship could be a scro ship.  So you could use paint and whatnot and make the ship look like it's a scro ship and fake being scro until you get close enough where someone might see you.

If the scro are slavers and the crew contains someone who could pose as scro, you could set up a ruse like that.

Alternatively, if the scro have allies, you could try impersonating those allies.  (Or maybe paying off said allies.)

Anything interesting in your hold you could use for trade goods?  If you have enough force that you could obviously repel a group of scro, you could pose as some sort of trader.  (The scro won't trade with you unless you have something they want and they can't take it from you by force.)

They actually have an organized military, so their ships are recognizable as scro ships. It's not like when we snuck into the pirate's asteroid (and blew it up). I'm pretty sure they'd recognize our ship too, considering we've foiled them before.

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Red, how does Spelljammer define “Medium” in regard to asteroids..?

Is the object a basically a castle floating in JammerSpace ? hundreds of yards across, or bigger than that like several miles across, 50-80 miles across ? 

The upper limit is at around 500 miles diameter  |  objects start rounding themselves with gravity at around there. 

But Spelljammer lore and your Hubster the GM may have quashed a lot of regular Physics in favor of other ideas. 

Tell us more. 

So, in spelljammer there's this gravity plane thing, which everything has (ships being the main thing, I guess it's the idea they came up with to keep people walking around in the ship instead of floating away). The made up physics are really bizarre. Basically, everything (except actual planets?) has a flat gravity line, where if you go past it you're suddenly walking on the ceiling. If you fall off whatever you'll bob along the gravity plane, but slowly drift away from whatever object you fell off of, including small moon sized asteroids. 

I dunno, it's really weird, and I feel like the folks who made it up were probably high af. 

I think the scro asteroid is sorta medium sized. The one our group has been based on is small moon sized, and this one is supposed to be half as big, but still bigger than the pirate asteroid we blew up.

• Like 1

I do have a few Spelljammer modules or books. Thank you Half-Price Books and Records. 

The physics question and size question does involve gravity.  At some point (in normal physics gravity forces spherical shape) the rugged / ragged asteroid gives way to a sphere. For the real universe I think that is about 600-700 miles. In JammedPhysics that governs JammerSpace ...do I recall that D12 planets and D4 / D8 asteroids are a thing?

That gravity plane business complicates things. I had the vague idea it was artificially generated for ships...

But objects in between ships and planets... :huh: :upside: :huh: ...also?

On 6/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, paintybeard said:

Tactical advice...

NUKE 'EM 'TIL THEY GLOW!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself there...

On 6/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, Boaz said:

Blubber bomb them ... polymorph whales into worms , fly to a good range , cast a dispel magic between you and the enimy base ... throw worms through dispel magic zone at base ... see how they like multi ton whale impacts ... blubber bombardment is highly underrated yet very effective,  and very cinematic ...

While both of these have merit, they not require things in short supply: nuclear material and whales.

Rocks however are common if you have a way of accelerating large rocks, standing in the orbital path of the asteroid and throwing rocks until they come out to investigate has some serious merit.  Given timing you could even set this up so that when they go to look you can slip in behind

• Like 2

1. If you didn't care about using up the asteroid, a Time On Target, 360° rock bombardment is really hard to handle. But, since

On 6/5/2018 at 1:24 AM, redambrosia said:

there's someone in it that needs our help

that's probably out.

2. If the rock was tiny, and so easy for the enemy to watch all approaches, something like pretending to be traveling to a different place and "just passing by", followed by a very rapid deceleration and a highly kinetic (lots of explosions and projectiles) raid might work. It gives them only a little time to respond and prepare and might work.

3. But for an asteroid half the size of "a small moon", you should be able, with some care, to approach from the opposite side of the rock, keeping the rock between you and the enemy base. Even small moons are generally quite large relative to ships and bases.

4. Alternatively, a suited jump from far enough away that people are very hard to detect could work pretty well, since you shouldn't get much accel from the fall to the asteroid. (Though I don't know how the weird gravity mentioned above might interact with that.) This would end up being something like a HALO (High-Altitude, Low-Opening) parachute jump or a SCUBA insertion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1