Hi all

So I got two Tyshall, Lamia Priestess metal figures in my June order, and they each come with two arms on a separate sprue. When I removed the arms, 3 of the 4 came off without enough metal left to get it to stay on the model, even with copious amounts of superglue. I contacted reaper help to see if I could get replacement arms and they told me they were designed that way and I should pin them if they don't stay put.

So I guess I'm buying a vise and learning to pin!

Can anyone drop some pinning tutorial videos or anything? I'm having trouble finding them on my own.

Thank you guys in advance!

Depending on the size of the gap you can also fill it with a little greenstuff, superglue and then glue it on.

Apply greenstuff afterwards to fill the remaining gaps.

Pinning is stronger and works well for bigger minis.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Depending on the size of the gap you can also fill it with a little greenstuff, superglue and then glue it on.

Apply greenstuff afterwards to fill the remaining gaps.

Pinning is stronger and works well for bigger minis.

Thanks. I've got no experience with either pinning our green stuff, and the supplies for both are about $8 each; any idea which is a better idea? I don't thunk that the arms are too heavy; one of them came off with enough metal to insert into the arm socket and is staying put pretty well, but I'm not sure if trying to make a nub for the other arms would work. Would the green stuff stick? Or should I just skip it and try to pin it?

• Like 3

Green stuff is not only a gap filler but is also quite a good adhesive.

For me its hard to recommend one over the other without seeing the piece.  I will say if you are going to stick with the hobby that it is a good idea to have both (eventually).  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Green stuff is not only a gap filler but is also quite a good adhesive.

For me its hard to recommend one over the other without seeing the piece.  I will say if you are going to stick with the hobby that it is a good idea to have both (eventually).  

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures last night and I won't be home for a while, but I will probably update with them once I do get home. 

I'm trying to tell myself that I was already thinking of doing some conversions in the future and I would have gotten the stuff eventually, but i have to admit being told I need $8 - 20 worth of stuff to even use my $6 mini has ruffled my feathers a bit. I'm trying to remember that I would've needed to practice anyway. 

• Like 3

That's the way I used to think of it so I delayed buying things like pin vises and green stuff.  However you will get so much use out of both of them that you will actually only spend a few cents on that miniature.  Does that make sense?

Plus I have always been someone who never had the right tool for the job and would scrounge around and Jury Rig everything but I have found with miniatures it is so nice to have the tools you need on hand.  That doesn't mean go out and buy it all at once but slowly build up your materials.  Try not to fall into the trap of "its only a $6 mini and I am spending $XX on material" (I know it's easy to do) because you will definitely use those tools/materials again. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

That's the way I used to think of it so I delayed buying things like pin vises and green stuff.  However you will get so much use out of both of them that you will actually only spend a few cents on that miniature.  Does that make sense?

Plus I have always been someone who never had the right tool for the job and would scrounge around and Jury Rig everything but I have found with miniatures it is so nice to have the tools you need on hand.  That doesn't mean go out and buy it all at once but slowly build up your materials.  Try not to fall into the trap of "its only a $6 mini and I am spending $XX on material" (I know it's easy to do) because you will definitely use those tools/materials again. 

I really am trying to be positive about it, I swear. It's just tough because I love painting, but I don't really wasn't to do sculpting and pinning and stuff. For the most part, I've been happy to just paint what I get. And since I wanted to use these minis soon, I have to order everything now to get them out in time. And everyone always said reaper help was so great and then the first time I had to go to them I just asked for replacement arm sprues and was basically told "No, just deal with it." I think I just need to let the frustration wear off and deal with it.

• Like 3

Actually the thing that made me cringe is when you said copious amounts of superglue. With superglue the smaller the amount the better to get a good bond. I would have pinned these arms regardless because they are splayed out so far. Which arms did you get to stay in place the upper or the lower?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heisler said:

Actually the thing that made me cringe is when you said copious amounts of superglue. With superglue the smaller the amount the better to get a good bond. I would have pinned these arms regardless because they are splayed out so far. Which arms did you get to stay in place the upper or the lower?

Actually the lower arms are part of the model; only the upper arms come separate. Of the two figures, I got the model's left arm to stay put on one of the figures but not the other.

I started with a little glue, but it wouldn't stay on; I tried adding more because it seemed like hole in her body was so deep that maybe the glue wasn't reaching. There are really deep holes where the arms are supposed to attach, like they're supposed to have little nubbins that go in there, but only one of the arms came off the sprue with enough metal to fit in cozily. The rest came off flat and can't bear the weight of themselves to stay up, including the left arm of the second model. 

• Like 1

How did you remove them from the sprue? Bending them back and forth till the metal broke, knife, clippers or perhaps even a jeweler's saw?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heisler said:

How did you remove them from the sprue? Bending them back and forth till the metal broke, knife, clippers or perhaps even a jeweler's saw?

I clipped them off. I definitely don't have a jeweler's saw :)

• Like 1

And you clipped them off at the edge next to the sprue or flush with the arm? I'm just not familiar with that piece and I want to be sure before I give advice.

• Like 1

I was going to recommend clippers - even just a cheap pair of side cutters - but you are already there. I almost always pin my multipart minis, as gaming can get a little rough and I don't want parts falling off a finished mini during play. Paper clips work quite well for pinning material.

To answer your question on superglue vs. green stuff, I use superglue for smaller pieces, unless the hole is overly large, and green stuff for larger figs. I do recommend you buy the green stuff in ribbon form if you can find it. It's very easy to work with this way. 

The good news is because there is a lot of green stuff in a ribbon box and very little is needed, it lasts quite a while. I buy some every few years. It's all part of the art of mini assembly and painting.

Have fun!

• Like 1

WSIS6vR.png

This is what it the sprue looks like

I tried to get down as far as I could, but the part where it sticks off the spruce in sort of a square shape kind of blobbed into the arm a bit and they were really close together. 

• Like 1