Sign in to follow this  
Aard_Rinn

The Monthly Mookstorm Project

So, I've just finished thinning my herd, so to speak, and it looks like I'm going to have between seven and eight pounds of melt credit at Reapercon after tradein.

I've got a couple things in mind to pick up, but what I really want to do is up my RPG enemy game. Last time I did a melt (several years ago, someone took the metal for me) I wound up getting tons of cool PC minis that only some of got painted... This year, I think I'm going to try to pick out mobs of enemies and paint them up in groups: one type of enemy per month for a year, or as far as my melt will take me, until I have enough mooks for all my low-mid tier encounters. Partially because I need mooks, partially as a challenge to force me to step up my speed- and group- painting game, since I haven't done much painting this last year...

I've already had a few ideas, which I'll toss up as examples, but the basic idea is this: between 20 and 30 figures, some multiples, some singles if that works better, that work to cover many possible iterations of certain types of encounters.

For example:

image.png.6a60dcef4809639dd3ea48e5ab4c9841.png

This was the set I came up with that'd have everything I'd want for vampires: spawn, weaker vampires, beastshapes, giant bats, bat swarms...  quantities will probably change based on how much the minis weigh, but this'd be around 25 minis, so I'm guessing 9-11 oz at most, unless the giant bats are really heavy...

Now... If people could help me spitball ideas for eleven more of these, that'd be really helpful! Smaller monsters, preferably - I already have things like ogres, hobgoblins, orcs and bugbears in Bones - and not just types of catagory, but what you'd use with the main enemy? 

So far, my ideas are: Twig Blights (saprolings and the blighted dryad for sure, and wolves to round out forest encounters?) Kobolds (maybe young dragons? I found these great giant weasel minis from another company, too, but what else goes with Kobolds?) and Goblins ( a nice big group of the PF goblins, plus the riding one... If I could resculpt a few of those w/o the saddle, that'd be great, but IDK what else would go with them) and a month that's a medley of different floating sheets (cloakers, banshee, wraiths)... 

• Like 3

Her are some suggestions:

Wimpy undead, like zombies, skeletons, a necro or two, a few ghouls and ghosts.

A themed cult with cult members, a few leader types, some summons or critters that goes with the cult's theme

Spider nest, lots of spiders, maybe a drider, some dark elves or an arachnic themed druid

• Like 2