bojesphob

Odd question about expoxy resin

This is going to be a strange question, and I don't even know if anyone has even tried it, but figured it would be worth asking to see if anyone had any experience with it....

I am going to be doing a project using a live edge wood slab and epoxy resin, and as a practice run, I am going to do a small display piece that will use a piece of wood, the epoxy resin, and some Reaper Bones minis (and, yes, when I finish it, I WILL be posting it here if it works out). I know that the epoxy resin tends to get a little warm when it sets, and I want to make sure that if I paint up some minis and put them in the resin that they won't melt or anything like that. Also, I'm wondering if I should seal them (matte or gloss varnish) before doing it?

I'm betting this isn't something that's come up very often before, so I might have to be the guinea pig, but I have such a cool idea and can't wait until I have the components in hand to do it!

• Like 3

If you mean epoxy putty (clay like stuff), it gets warm to the touch just before it is cured. It won't have any effect on the soft plastic that Bones are made of.

I'm guessing it's more a reference to two part epoxie glues that take a while to cure.  Basically Thi k five minute epoxy, but usually with a curing time that's at least 30 min to 2 hours, and most of them dry clearly. 

A bit more complex than either of those, unfortunately. If you look up epoxy resin table on youtube it will show you a bunch of videos of what I'll be trying to do (with a table, and in a smaller sense as a test run before doing the big project). It's actually like a more complex water effects type solution.

For reference, here is a piece of wood that has had the epoxy resin added to make a table:

table-1.jpg

Now, I've seen one that someone made a diorama using train set figures (the REALLY tiny guys), so I'm thinking this won't be a problem, but was hoping I wasn't the first person to come up with the idea I had with Reaper Bones. Alas, I may just need to do it and see what it does LOL

Don't know if this is definitive, but I've been playing with clear jewelry resin (also 2 part epoxy) and one of the things I've done is pour into plastic gaming bases.  It has bonded well to the plastic with no issues. 

I would strongly advise doing a small scale test.  It would help you test your technique for dealing with bubbles as well as check for strange reactions.  Heat shouldn't be a problem since most Bones can handle being boiled.  When I've done embedding I find it helps to do at least two pours.  It helps prevent things from floating to the top of the resin and ruining your smooth finish.  

Oh, and please share your results!!!   ^_^ 

I shouldn't think you'd have too much trouble with epoxy, but just make sure that's what it is, as not all clear resins are the same. Polyesters heat up much more than epoxies when they cure in a mass, sometimes enough to cook and discolour themselves, which is one reason why large masses of polyester are poured in layers. Also, laminating resins often cure very much hotter than casting resins, but they often look and smell exactly the same.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I've got the plan all done up, and will be picking up the wood for these projects tomorrow (I can't wait! LOL I'm actually excited to do the table, and this test run is going to be AWESOME if I can get it down right IMO!) Will definitely be an interesting project, that's for sure!

• Like 2