KADOW

CAV Dictator 128mm

I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this CAV from Hellion I was cleaning out my garage and I had completely forgotten about this model.

I attached some photos I really want to know what the second set of guns are for I do not remember ordering them but they were in the box. I got this back in 2003 also no instruction's in the box were there ever any ?

Thank you

KADOW

And if this isn't the right place for this post please move it or let me know

20180609_103243.jpg

20180609_103258.jpg

20180609_103324.jpg

20180609_103415.jpg

• Like 1

The gray guns are for the original version of the model (which we now call the "A") and the yellow guns for the later upgraded version (the "B").

Ok so A and B are two different variants so they are not the same weapons system? It has been a long time since I even looked at this model.

In the early days of CAV, the Black Lightning demo folks (now discontinued) had the option of getting an alternate set of arms for the Dictator that came with a better statline.  These were given out as tournament prizes etc.  I believe that the larger set of resin guns above were intended to be that second set of guns.  "BL-Dictator" is the jargon at the time.

The Dictator 2 model was created after the BL-dictator arms were no longer available and though the parts were different I think it was intended to replace it and make it available for all.

Anyone who knows better may feel free to correct me.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 9:06 AM, Froggy the Great said:

In the early days of CAV, the Black Lightning demo folks (now discontinued) had the option of getting an alternate set of arms for the Dictator that came with a better statline.  These were given out as tournament prizes etc.  I believe that the larger set of resin guns above were intended to be that second set of guns.  "BL-Dictator" is the jargon at the time.

The Dictator 2 model was created after the BL-dictator arms were no longer available and though the parts were different I think it was intended to replace it and make it available for all.

Anyone who knows better may feel free to correct me.

Correct.  I've actually got the last set of Black Lightning arms that Reaper gave away. Clark found them buried somewhere after they thought they were all out.  When the guns were awarded to a tournament winner, they were also given a certificate with the gun's stats and a short message saying that the owner was allowed to use the guns in all official CAV games.

IIRC, in game terms, the original BL guns had the same stat line as the standard Gkw12's on the Dictator, but they had an overdrive mode. Basically the mech took 1 point of damage to give each gun +1 RAV. This was huge in CAV 1 b/c damage scaled based on opposing rolls.  Then in the JoR 2, the Dictator II (aka '70 Dictator) was a beefed up version of the base Dictator that used these guns stock - but they had slightly better base stats (I think) along w/the Overdrive mode.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, KADOW said:

I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this CAV from Hellion I was cleaning out my garage and I had completely forgotten about this model.

I attached some photos I really want to know what the second set of guns are for I do not remember ordering them but they were in the box. I got this back in 2003 also no instruction's in the box were there ever any ?

Looking at your pics that shouldn't be too hard to assemble. One thing I will suggest is that before you put the metal hinges together, take a set (there are male and female pieces) to your local hardware store. Go to the o-ring section and find a set of rubber o-rings that fit around the male piece's T-post, but still allow you to attach the female piece. This will give them resistance to keep the arms and legs from just drooping. It looks like maybe there are already some o-rings in your bag-o-bits, but the ones that came with mine weren't thick enough. Plus they dry out over time, so your's may already be rotten.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip on the o rings I am almost afraid to paint and put this together though i have googled it but there is really not very much on this model at all. 

I read the old Starship Modeler build article very nice with the clear cockpit and pilots gave it a nice look.

Anyone have any painted up pics of theres they would like to share or links to pictures?

Edited by KADOW
  • Like 1

Todd Farnholtz did an incredible job with the new version of the kit!

FB_IMG_1506718671345.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, KADOW said:

Thanks for the tip on the o rings I am almost afraid to paint and put this together though i have googled it but there is really not very much on this model at all. 

I read the old Starship Modeler build article very nice with the clear cockpit and pilots gave it a nice look.

Anyone have any painted up pics of theres they would like to share or links to pictures?

That is my friend Neil's Bigtator on Starship modeler. He used that same model on the back of one of the books we did and it looks like it is real. It's amazing!

If you go to http://http://johnbearross.blogspot.com and search for Dictator, you'll find a lot of renders and pics of the model. I'll PM John Bear and see if maybe he still has a copy of the original instructions laying around somewhere.

• Like 1

Wow!  A beautiful relic from the past.  Congrats!

My apologies for that slip up from 2002/2003.  15 years is a long time to not be able to finish a kit because of my goof.

Here's the instructions in PDF format.  Thanks to Chrome for alerting me to the lack of instructions.  It took a little bit to dig through my archives to find it.

Enjoy!

Original 28mm/1-60th Scale Dictator Instructions In PDF

Best,

John Bear Ross

Edited by John Bear Ross
Link
  • Like 3

No by all means and if you want any more please let me know I'm very proud of this figure ive been telling all my Battle tech friends about it and they are very envious.

And I will be happy to take more pictures if you would like please let me know and yes this is a great find from my college days.

Sorry for the late reply ive been busy at home we are expecting our second baby boy and my wife wants things done at home. 

Edited by KADOW
  • Like 1

No worries as far as more pics are concerned.  It sounds like you've already got your work cut out for you.

Congrats on son number two!

Best,

JBR