bojesphob

Epoxy Resin display piece WIP

I finally got started on my little side project that I'm going to use as a test run for a epoxy resin live edge table that I have planned. (for those of you who didn't see it, I asked about it here:

I went and picked up the live edge slabs from a local lumber place, and the one had an almost perfect spot for the idea I had for this test run piece. Here is the top of the slab:

20180609_142841.jpg

The to area with the branch still sort of connected and surrounding area are almost dead on to what I was envisioning for this. I know what's running through everybody's mind: what exactly was I envisioning?  I have a number of Bones minis from various kickstarters, and I had a few heroes that looked like they needed a quest. Namely:

Hyrekia, Dragonthrall Mage
Balto Burrowell
Duke Gerard
Bailey Silverbell
Arthrand Nightblade

I also have a Vermin: Spider that sort of looks like he'd go well with this.

So, what this all adds up to is a scenario where these heroes are questing, and see a VERY large tree sticking out of a hill - I'm thinking almost like a World Tree, or a Tree of Life type deal, surrounded by some normal sized trees that are in the midst of changing colors for the fall (this will be done by using some Woodland Scenics trees). Anyhow, at the base of the tree will be a cave of sorts, with the Vermin: Spider crawling out... Maybe like an entrance to an underground lair or something like that. Will also do a little bit of flocking on the ground (to make it look like grass), and the minis themselves are already in progress of being painted.

The posing of the minis will probably not end up where i put them in the image (and I apologize for the hack photoshop work), and the placement of the trees (and even sizes) are probably wrong. This particular section of wood is approximately 24" long, and about 16" high, so at the moment I haven't even made sure that the scaling for the minis compared to the piece of wood are correct, but this is my "concept art", as it were. Once all of these components are assembled, there will be a layer (towards the back) of blue tinted epoxy resin, and then the layer with the minis/trees/etc will have clear epoxy resin on it. I'm even thinking about building a small LED light to go off to the left that will sort of illuminate it so that it looks like it's daytime.

dioramaexample.jpg

So, what do you all think? Am I crazy to even attempt it? LOL

Since I have already started painting the minis, and I have the wood slab in the garage, this is now a WIP :) Once I have the piece cut off, and the minis to a point where I want to show them, I'll post in here. I have 2 of the 3 almost complete, 1 in progress, and 3 that I need to start.

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 17

I got the piece of wood cut from the slab, and have it measured out to 16x12 inches. I'll probably do the epoxy resin up to 14 inches, so it will be about 16x14. Here's the cut with the minis sitting on it (before i started painting again last night):

WoodCut.jpg

After about an hour of painting, I got more of the knight and archer done, a bunch done on the spider and the female wizard, and the halfling rouge started.

SomePainted.jpg

This is approximately the positioning I am going to do use for the minis - Hyrekia prodding the adventurers on, Balto pointing at the spider since he just noticed it, Bailey already ready to go pounce on it, Arthrand readying his bow to shoot, and Duke bracing himself for a fight. They'll all be sort of facing the hole in the wood where the spider is, except for Hyrekia who will be facing back towards the other guys. The trees I ordered should be delivered tonight, so I can see how I can incorporate them.

Up close of the adventurers:

adventurers.jpg

And the spider :)

spider.jpg

Next will be setting the model train trees in it to see how that looks, then a sand on the piece of wood, a stain, flocking of the grass, and then after that will be the building of a frame for the epoxy pour, then I'll be ready to buy the epoxy and then try mixing and pouring! So far so good! :)

• Like 18

Got the trees in yesterday :) I REALLY like how they look with the minis! Will have to decide exactly where to place the trees and the adventurers and actually trim the bases off the minis and pin them so I can place them looking like they're actually standing there.

Also, I placed a mimic in the scene further up the tree for added dynamism, does it go well with it, or should I leave him off? I thought it was fun having him seemingly mock the adventurers like he is their goal :D

Trees.jpg

• Like 14

This look cool, the trees are great. 

I would vote to leave the mimic off, but maybe that just me.

• Like 1

I agree that the mimic doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense with the terrain.  

How thick is the resin going to be?  With the trees I can't quite figure out your plan for where the resin fits in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I agree that the mimic doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense with the terrain.  

How thick is the resin going to be?  With the trees I can't quite figure out your plan for where the resin fits in.

The resin will be the full thickness of the wood when complete. It will (hopefully) look like it's encased in a block of glass when complete. Just imagine it in this instead of the wood in this table372af10249293159b6cc3b59ea130940.jpg

• Like 7

So, it's ready for epoxy. The place I ordered the epoxy from shipped REALLY fast, got it on Saturday, but the box with the bottles of casting epoxy was crushed in transit, the larger of the two bottles ruptured and half the contents filled the bag that had the two bottles in it. Thankfully, I don't think the second bottle was affected, so the liquid didn't set up in the plastic bag it was in, but I haven't had a chance to try to pull the bottles out to clean and check them yet. I should (hopefully) be able to at least use the remaining part to begin the casting process this week. Have contacted the company and have yet to hear back from them yet, but rather disappointing that the USPS couldn't be bothered to read the "FRAGILE: LIQUIDS" label that was prominently displayed on the box... Rather disappointing when you pay 150 dollars for 1.5 gallons of the stuff :(

Anyhow, here is the pre-epoxy finished product!

BeforeEpoxy.jpg

• Like 13

One issue with mailing companies (and couriers) is that since so much is automated, it's more likely that it caught on a conveyor. 

I do have to agree though that odds are it would have been noticed if it actually fully ruptured.. 

Yeah, the bag was intact, so it didn't leak thankfully, but definitely sucks that it happened. Haven't heard back from the company yet (hoping it's just because it's Monday and they are in California), but i might be able to work with it as long as the second bottle definitely didn't rupture. I'll know for certain tonight as I want to break it open and see if I can't do the first pour of the resin if it's still usable. Here's hoping!

• Like 3

I'm interested to see how this goes.

I never worked with such resin before, and I really would love to try one day.

So I'm looking at this and taking notes!

• Like 1

So, I heard back from the company that makes the resin. They are shipping me a new resin kit. So, what's really nice about that is that it looks like I can use the original kit I got, even though the main part is about half gone, and it's looking like I might have enough to do this specific pour with what is still in there. If that's the case, that means that's one less kit I actually have to purchase to do the table :) Score!

Anyhow, I built the box to house the display while I do the pour. I was going to do the first pour last night, but silly me didn't buy a measuring apparatus at Lowe's last night while I was picking up supplies... :rolleyes: So, another stop off tonight on the way home again. Thankfully it's actually on the way home, so it's just a few extra minutes.

Here's the box with Tyvek tape in it - the tape is used in wrapping homes that are being built before the siding is put on. It's water proof, and when the resin sets, it doesn't stick to it, so it will be a LOT easier to remove the whole thing when it cures.

Box.jpg

Then, with the display put into the box, ready for epoxy :)

displayinBox.jpg

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to do the first pour. You have to do it in 1 inch increments, so I'll have to do 2 1/2 pours to get it fully poured, and there is an approximate 24 hour wait time between pours, so if I'm lucky and things go well, I'll be able to have the casting portion completed by Friday.

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 10

First pour was (relatively) successful. Reason I say "relatively" is that I messed up and didn't realize it until this morning. The mixing was easy (aside from the fact that everything was massively coated in the main bottle's component, which made it tough to clean up and handle), and the pouring was simple. I was able to get all of the bubbles out except for one, at least from my cursory glance this morning. The part that failed? I poured an inch of the resin, and it was poured in 3 pours - pour about 1/4-1/3 inch, then use a torch to get the bubbles out. Well, apparently when I did the torch the second pour, it melted a hole in some of the tape on the side. So, when I poured the last 1/3 inch, it started to leak out of the box. When I checked before bed how it looked, there was a stream of epoxy coming out one of the sides, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong. This morning, when I checked again (expecting it to have all leaked out), I noticed the holes. Easy enough to fix (just put another piece of tape over the holes), but I need to be a LOT more careful with it when I do the rest. You can't really see all that much in this picture, but there is a layer at the bottom that has hardened and is *mostly* bubble free :)

FirstPour.jpg

So far, so good then. I can avoid the leakage issue by not getting the torch too close to the tape, and from my estimation of what I used for the first inch, I should have enough from this kit to be able to finish it without any issues. More pouring tonight!

• Like 14