Kingrokon

Best way to attach parts to metal figures?

Hello Reaper! Been ordering from you guys and I love what you make! 

Currently working on getting/painting miniatures for the Curse of Strahd Campaign. With that said, I got my Lanaerel miniature in the mail today and its the first piece I've ordered that has a metal part that needs attaching. I'm kinda nervous to use super glue, is there a proper way I'm suppose to attach this arm/bow? 

Sorry in advance for being so new to this. 

• Like 5

No need to apologize for being new! Welcome! 

Superglue works, but alone isn't the best, because it can be brittle. What makes an ideal joint is pinning. You can use a firm wire, piece of a paperclip - some small rod that is narrower than the arm is. Get a drillbit that matches the size of that wire, and a pin-vise to hold it. Carefully drill into both the arm and the body where they attach. Glue the pin in one side, then trim the pin to fit in the other such that the joint doesn't have a gap as best you can. Glue the next piece in place. If you have small gaps, use a putty or air-dry clay of some sort to stuff in the gaps and smooth out the joint. You may not have to do this part. 

These steps are kinda a nuisance but get easier over time. 

Hope it works out for you! 

• Like 3

Superglue will work fine by itself if you're just planning to display the figure on a shelf, but if you plan to game with it, you'll probably  want to pin it as suggested above.

Although I don't have that figure myself, I can pretty much guess the point where the arm attaches to the figure. If you decide not to pin it (and just use superglue), even if the arm falls off you can just scrape some of the old glue off the end and redo it without screwing up the paint on it anywhere someone might notice it. And if you do, you can just touch it up and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Another method, which I use.

Take a tiny piece of Green Stuff Putty apply that to the area and then use superglue to attach the part.

Press a little.

For small stuff like arms and legs this works good enough for me.

Let it all cure before painting.

Fill any gaps with greenstuff it will look better and also strengthen the bonds.

I only pin larger pieces.

One more thing!

Whichever method you choose.

Clean the mini.

And use a small file or sharp knife to remove mold lines and flash.

Then roughen up the area that will be glued a bit. Just a bit, but then the glue will stick better to the parts.

There is always a residue of release agent on minis which can interfere with glue.

• Like 2

Just to fill in some gaps from the other great responses:

Wash using dish washing detergent and a toothbrush.

Green stuff is Kneadatite Blue Yellow epoxy putty. It is *highly* recommended.

The drill bits you want are too small for a hardware store to carry. Even the Dremel tool drill bit set is too large. Get them from a hobby store (brick and mortar or online; I would bet Amazon sells them as well). Same with the pin vise.

I game with my minis, so I pin almost everything (even broken figures). It makes a huge difference in joint strength over just superglue. I've been doing it for a while, and I'm amazed at how I can drill holes in tiny pieces without destroying them.

Good luck!

Edited by Madog Barfog
typo
  • Like 1

Depends on the hardware store. My local store carries absurdly tiny drillbits, pin vises, and even tiny files suited for minis. Not sure Home Depot would, however. 

27 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Depends on the hardware store. My local store carries absurdly tiny drillbits, pin vises, and even tiny files suited for minis. Not sure Home Depot would, however. 

Lucky!

I did find one hardware store in El Paso that had tiny bits, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

Lucky!

I did find one hardware store in El Paso that had tiny bits, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

I am definitely going to miss this hardware store when I move. It is kinda the best. Soooo easy to spend too much in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I am definitely going to miss this hardware store when I move. It is kinda the best. Soooo easy to spend too much in there.

She must go to McGuckins Hardward in Boulder, the mecca of hardware stores (quite seriously).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Heisler said:

She must go to McGuckins Hardward in Boulder, the mecca of hardware stores (quite seriously).

Bingo!! McGuckins is magic. 

• Like 2

There's always Lee Valley in Canada.....  They have all sorts of awesome things. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteWulfe said:

There's always Lee Valley in Canada.....  They have all sorts of awesome things. 

We have to compare them someday. McGuckin's is truly an awesome hardware store. I have never not found what I needed there.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Heisler said:

We have to compare them someday. McGuckin's is truly an awesome hardware store. I have never not found what I needed there.

Unless they are temporarily out of stock in something (seeding sprouter heat mats in my case). 

• Like 1