Awesome to see the whole process in one shoot.

Thx for sharing.

I love the whacky world and this Rhino fits right in.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome to see the whole process in one shoot.

Thx for sharing.

I love the whacky world and this Rhino fits right in.

...doing all the green stuff w.i.p. in one fell swoop is a little like a time lapse film.

I am glad you like it, Glitter. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 3

You are very creative malefactus, can't wait to see the magic happen as you lay some paint on it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

You are very creative malefactus, can't wait to see the magic happen as you lay some paint on it.

Thanks, Metalchaos. I'll give it my best shot. I have the base painted & I have worked out the flesh tones...it's a start.

• Like 2

Way cool project! Fantastic sculpting on there ::D:

Also.... BATTLE UNICORN! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I saw this in the Last Hurrah Thread. I wondered what the motivation or inspiration was. Very glad you posted the illustration that began it all. 

It it would be funny if you recreated that shadow-box environment he is in, as seen in the Illustration. Only it would be funnier still if the shadow box room was empty, that melon on the floor was stomped flat, and there was vaguely Rhino-sized raggedy hole in the right hand wall (the one he is facing in the Illustration).

Eagerly waiting to see what happens next. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Way cool project! Fantastic sculpting on there ::D:

Also.... BATTLE UNICORN! 

Thanks, Cyradis. I am happy you like it.

Funny you should mention the Unicorn. There are other Christensen Mega Beasties...the Hippo is another possible. SO I checked out the plastic critters that Safari Ltd. has available.

I could spend a fortune & the rest of my life doing them up. That doesn't seem like a bad way of spending my time & money, which does point out a certain lack of sense .

02cb9e53aee3780c761dc795d463c5db.jpg

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I saw this in the Last Hurrah Thread. I wondered what the motivation or inspiration was. Very glad you posted the illustration that began it all. 

It it would be funny if you recreated that shadow-box environment he is in, as seen in the Illustration. Only it would be funnier still if the shadow box room was empty, that melon on the floor was stomped flat, and there was vaguely Rhino-sized raggedy hole in the right hand wall (the one he is facing in the Illustration).

Eagerly waiting to see what happens next. 

I thought I posted the illustration there, but I think a lot of strange things. I am glad you like it, TGP. 

The shadow box idea is a gem. I wish I had thought of it before I based him. I have some ideas for surrealistic display frames & shadow boxes.

I had picked up several boxes from Hobby Lobby a week or two ago. The ones I got are just a little too small for the Beasty. If they were larger, I just might have ditched the base/saved it for something else, & tried out your suggestion. I might try it with another critter; I hate wasting a good idea.

6 hours ago, LarsM said:

This is just beyond awsome..

Thanks for the kind words, LarsM. I am delighted you like it.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 4

Just amazing!  Really fits with your other stuff but a very neat new direction.  Looking forward to seeing it fully painted up.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I could spend a fortune & the rest of my life doing them up. That doesn't seem like a bad way of spending my time & money, which does point out a certain lack of sense .

Not to get all touchy-feely, but this is both beautiful and sad (in a nice sad way, not the mean kind). I often look forward to retirement, able to spend my time doing hobby stuff, etc, and I look at my dad, who sits around on facebook, watching TV, etc. all day pretty much with no goals and I think "Who am I to care? He worked hard all his life, he earned this". It kind of reminds me of summer vacation as a kid. Do whatever you want all day, nothing you really HAVE to do, just things you might want to, if you have the energy.

I'm sure my dad looks at people with retirement hobbies as wasting their time but probably thinks similarly - why should anyone care what people do with the rest of their lives? I can't wait. 

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rahz said:

Just amazing!  Really fits with your other stuff but a very neat new direction.  Looking forward to seeing it fully painted up.  

Thanks, Rahz. I am glad you like the Beasty. I also think he fits with the place.

I am going to add one or more of the Reaper Vultures to his back in lieu of the Snazzy Bird that is in the illustration.

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

Not to get all touchy-feely, but this is both beautiful and sad (in a nice sad way, not the mean kind). I often look forward to retirement, able to spend my time doing hobby stuff, etc, and I look at my dad, who sits around on facebook, watching TV, etc. all day pretty much with no goals and I think "Who am I to care? He worked hard all his life, he earned this". It kind of reminds me of summer vacation as a kid. Do whatever you want all day, nothing you really HAVE to do, just things you might want to, if you have the energy.

I'm sure my dad looks at people with retirement hobbies as wasting their time but probably thinks similarly - why should anyone care what people do with the rest of their lives? I can't wait. 

For almost thirteen years before I was officially retired, I was on Social Security Disability. SO when I hit retirement I was an old hand at being unemployed.

I have been doing my thing for more than fifty years. My love of crafting miniature thingies has carried me through some pretty tough times. Making things with my hands is how I pray...I have the regrettable habit of singing  while I work, which completes the "Joyful Sound". I really don't think of what I do as a hobby or a business. It is more a part of being who I was meant to be. I am sure life would be pretty empty without creating stuff.

Hang on to what you love. It will happily see you through retirement whether or not the circumstances are happy.

Thanks for the reply, pinky. It is good, periodically, to reflect on what I do & why I do it. 

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SO The Rhino's base is painted & his flesh tone applied. I did some green stuff touch up & added three Reaper 03797 Vultures in lieu of the Tickbird:

DSCN6453.thumb.JPG.1a1c3e27d2ca6beacd8cb4c660179b1f.JPGDSCN6456.thumb.JPG.aa92bb684240f8737f938d7d09c59f8f.JPGDSCN6454.thumb.JPG.9a510b6204bf89ad3dc5e51a6bf37b73.JPGDSCN6455.thumb.JPG.b11132c88481ffdd49498da283ae8265.JPG

A better look at his face:

DSCN6457.thumb.JPG.b66852426da7e38d7d2a6c4d1a7ff1a8.JPGDSCN6458.thumb.JPG.81af48519917e0a69544e37f72a840f7.JPGDSCN6459.thumb.JPG.9b11a3b1b4d6e4d712e546c0ded8663f.JPG

As I am plodding along with The Big Guy, I have a few other thing on the back burners.

• Like 10

Awesome.

I love the vultures.

And the Rhino has a nice smile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome.

I love the vultures.

And the Rhino has a nice smile.

Thanks, Glitter...glad you like it. The Vultures do add the necessary silliness to the piece.

• Like 1