Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Snuck in a game of Takenoko before bed. First time we have played it in years! Like before our son was even born!

The kids enjoyed it and our daughter even won by one point, despite me being the one to end things.

20180916_192441.thumb.jpg.1aab522d084df15ce1e20899186b0ebf.jpg

• Like 3

I would like to play Takenoko but no one I know seems to own it.  

We played some 8 player Sushi Go Party! this weekend.  The first time it was opened up.  It was good fun but the table was a bit crowded, and once or twice people were not on the same page.   

2018-09-15 21.59.53.jpg

2018-09-15 22.00.03.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 5

We love Sushi Go Party! Our most played count is three player, but five isnt far behind. We have yet to play with more than that.

• Like 3

Just played games with Sir Cyr and a new nerd friend. Played Smash Up, Munchkin, and Red Dragon Inn. Sir Cyr was a menace in Smash Up with Sheep + Robots. Munchkin is jolly good fun for goofing around. RDI is pleasing to toss a little RPing in. New friend stayed in character as Zot the Wizard for the whole game and it was hilarious. 

• Like 5

I played Empires of the Void II again this weekend for my birthday.  It is a 4X-ish game by Red Raven games.  Like all Red Raven games, it looks beautiful on the table...its a shame I didn't take any pictures.  And like most 4X games, it takes up a lot of space.  

We ended a few rounds too early because I misread the rules and we decided to just go with what we thought was right.  If you are looking to play a game like Twilight Imperium, but don't want to spend the whole weekend setting up, this may work.  There is still a large setup time (and take-down time, if you want to be careful) and it took us a good 2 hours to play through the game.  You have a lot of options you can take, but you can't do everything due to time constraints.  This was a Kickstarter, but one you can pick up at retail without really missing out (the exclusives were one unnecessary mini, a "making of" book and some metal coins you can buy later).  I had fun and I think everyone enjoyed themselves.  

• Like 3

We played King of Tokyo with my father and the kids this weekend. As a TBI patient, this was likely beyond his grasp, but he went along with it anyway...basically just rerolling and buying whatever was suggested to him.

We also played Tsuro with my Mom, sisters, and kids. This one is by far the simplest game that we own and yet still hits the table fairly often. Definitely an elegant game.

• Like 2

Wednesday I finally played Azul (which I got in the mail the day before), a well produced abstract game where you have to try and line up tiles to score points.  A fun game but one I need to play more to get better at.  

2018-10-03 19.15.43.jpg2018-10-03 20.05.09.jpg

We also played Spot It, which is a game where a round card with several different items on it (like a 4 leaf clover, a car, a heart, etc...) is put in the middle and you have to place your card on top, trying to match one symbol.  It seemed like a simple kids game so I was nonplussed to start, but at the end of our second game (where we had to place on opponents stacks) I was so into the game I jumped out of my chair when I won.  It was far more exciting then I anticipated.  

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 5

Spot It is a great game and there are tons of versions!

I tried out the new Transformers TCG and it was a blast. Very fast-paced and successfully captures the feel of giant robots transforming back and forth and punching each other into unconsciousness. One booster box in and I have two very successful decks, so it looks very affordable as TCGs go.

• Like 3

Played Risk: LOTR with the boys this afternoon. My nephew and I bought this together back when the Return of the King movie came out. Basic rules are similar to normal Risk but the map is Middle Earth and 4 players max. We played with the full optional rules which meant leaders and fortresses which give a +1 to attack and defense rolls (fort only defend) and special event card you gain when taking over certain territories. At the end of each players turn the ring moves a step between Hobbiton and Mount Doom. The games lasts until one player conquers everything (rarely happens) or the ring gets to Mount Doom.  Boys got into their usual whining and infighting so I took over the north and won the game. Kind of made sense as the oldest was good trying to hold Gondor while the youngest was evil with Mordor under his control and trying to head west. I was evil in the north east.

When the game ends you get points for territories, fortresses, countries and the special cards you played. It was very close because if the game had ended one turn sooner my youngest had just rampaged through all of my countries (think Risk continents) and made a mess. I had just enough forces to take back what was mine when the hobbits finished their job. So I got a bunch of extra points for complete continents that I wouldn't have had minutes earlier. It was fun but having to watch the toddler was distracting and it's hard to get the boys doing anything together without arguing them a lot. On the same team they broccoli that the other one did something wrong. On opposite teams they broccoli that they're deliberately picking on eachother.

• Like 4

I forgot to share that I got Myth to the table recently. I used Dwarven Forge terrain instead of the tiles.

20180930_151758.thumb.jpg.adc0923d7a241d3aad058590474d5ff4.jpg

20180930_134434.thumb.jpg.a676c4538d2f233cb5cef69cb2828627.jpg

20181001_214444.thumb.jpg.9b55e8845980fd7fc3066a25a9ffabef.jpg

20180930_231209.thumb.jpg.b8a9cc03236eb260096c9d17947af5a7.jpg

• Like 6

I finally got to a board game night for a few hours. It was the first foray of getting the 5yo to play with adults. He was jazzed that we were able to get several people to play one of his favorites: Codenames 

Picture edition. Very fun. 

BTW, has anyone played The Disney addition of Codenames?  I am thinking I might be able to get the wife to play it with us, since the pictures seem to be less abstract. 

• Like 2

I haven't played Terraforming Mars in a while, so when I was invited to a game that didn't quite start, I jumped right in.  I wound up coming in second but not by a large margin.  Lots of fun, as always.  

IMG_20181017_212601.thumb.jpg.70063c2febc17c3854618a0c0a95f53e.jpg

• Like 6

We just finished our first game of Pandemic. We lost which isn't surprising because we don't really know how to strategise yet. Interesting cooperative game where you fight diseases world wide.

• Like 2

OMG there are so many great games I want on this thread. I hope to get Scythe or Clank next but Myth looks awesome too. Our current faves are Citadels(got it for a buck brand new at a garage sale) and 7 wonders.. We spent years playing Magic and ignored the board games for awhile but are now back to the board, unfortunately half of our gaming partners moved, so sad. I Just finished painting up Zombicide Black Plague and am working on Blood Rage so cant play that one for awhile.  We loved playing Dominion until someone spilled wine all over the game..Still love Settlers of Catan with Cities and Knights never get tired of that one.

• Like 5