Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Just finished a pretty game called Indian Summer. Simple tile placement rules with a surprising amount of strategy. Lots of fun with squirrels. Looks nice on the table and plays in under an hour, even with rules explanation. 

• Like 3

Played Dixit and Drop It with some friends last night. Fun times were had. Drinks were involved. So was guacamole. 

20181019_184535.thumb.jpg.d3ba8830c8294f40c14bfa4a76bbf977.jpg

20181019_192229.thumb.jpg.15c67f5814fe44576d25ca48d88a039b.jpg

• Like 4

This Saturday was monthly game night so I was able to get a few games in.  One of my friends showed up before the big group and so we played a couple two player games.  He wasn't a big fan of Tides of Madness (but that didn't surprise me), but he really took to Onitama.  Onitama is a chess like game, but instead of fixed moves, your four pawns and one master pawn specific moves, based on cards.  Each person has two cards and one card is in the middle.  Once you take a move, you swap out the card you used with the one in the middle.  This way your moves are constantly changing and you may wind up giving your opponent the move they need to crush you!  It is a very simple game to learn the rules of, but you need to pay attention to the moves you have, the moves your opponent has, and what move you will be giving up and gaining.  My friend wound up buying it the next day.  

Coup.thumb.jpg.81ba32110b1de3ae52fbd8745b8fe125.jpg

Once everyone showed up, we played a few games of Coup.  I like the game but it does have problems and really behooves you to be good at bluffing.  By the time we finished, I think everyone was done with the game.  We enjoyed playing it but we were happy to move on when we were done.

And we moved on to 7 Wonders, which is always a good game.  The new player wound up winning since they basically just focused on getting their Pyramids of Giza built.  I had a plan to go hard on technology, but that plan failed upon contact with the enemy.  My neighbors REFUSED to draft the cards I needed so I could buy necessary materials from them.  Clearly it was my neighbors fault I came in last.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sir Cyr and I tried 5-Minute Dungeon (I think that's the name) with a friend last night. That game is HARD. A fun one for sure, but we only made it past the first two bosses... barely. 

Friend also hosted a RP session of "The Witch is Dead". The good witch was murdered, and it is up to the familiars (the players) to catch the killer and resurrect her using the killer's eyeballs. Sir Cyr was a fox who could talk to people, and I was a magpie bird that could make books read themselves aloud. It was a quite fun and humorous game, as we were super limited by being tiny critters. 

• Like 7

We went to "The Great Escape" game store in Sacramento, Ca. on Saturday, because it was my birthday and I decided that a trip to the gaming store would be in order.  Bought the latest offering from Exploding Kittens LLC, "You've Got Crabs".  simple to learn but there are some subtleties to the play that could take a long while to master.

Also picked up the latest expansion for Exploding Kittens but we didn't have time for a game with the kitties.

GEM

A well filled bag of games is now part of the standard luggage loading list  when going to visit the kids.

• Like 4

Every year a group of my friends leaves their wives, girlfriends and children to hang out together and do "manly things".  Mostly that involves beer, gambling, poker, D&D, and watching shows like Dodgeball and The Tick (the original animated one).  This year we added axe throwing which I highly recommend if you can find one near you. 

In recent years, I try to bring some board games they would enjoy and convince them to play.  I previous years I brought Vegas The Dice Game and Legendary Encounters: Predator and both were big hits.  This year I tried a little hard and brought CLANK!.  I am not sure it went over well, and certainly not as well as I'd hoped.  However Skull was a big hit, as expected, and I'm glad I brought that down. 

Also (double feature!), last night was game night and I was able to get Thunderstone Quest to the table.  Its a fun deck builder though my enjoyment was hampered a bit by one guy who was constantly asking questions.  

250888530_2018-10-3118_42_50.thumb.jpg.75e86a6281f474476aa561e7dbf4d011.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 4

I enjoyed TSQ, but it just takes up soooo much space. When you're sitting on the far side of the dungeon it can be a pain to track what monsters are over there. They def could have laid things out better.

Two more games!

We started the night with Rivals for Catan.  This is the first "Catan" game I've played.  The setup seemed simple enough: get your settlements, a couple roads, a few cards in your hand, and away you go.  Gather your resources in the usual ways, then build your kingdom unlocking more resources and abilities along the way.  The hand of cards lets you bring out other things (characters, different types of buildings, events, etc.).   I can't compare it to the rest of the catalog, but I enjoyed it.  That I won may have an impact on my evaluation.  I'm seriously thinking about acquiring it and seeing if Mrs. Strawhat would give it a go.

After we finished that game, another guy at the store had Rising Sun (CMON) and was wanting to get it rolled out.  We ended up gathering two other newbies in addition to the two experienced players (for a total of six players).  It was so very strange to play a game without dice and where it didn't necessarily matter what miniature you used--shintos were marked by the white bases, daimyo by the black, and the rest didn't really matter.  We ended up with Turtle (newbie #2), Lotus (my usual game partner), Fox (experienced player #2), Dragonfly (experienced player #1), Bonsai (me),  and Koi (newbie #1) on the board.

We made a lot of mistakes, but that was to be expected with four newbs.  Still, we were working quickly and learning, seldom making the same mistake twice.  All in all, I was surprised at how quickly things moved once we got the hang of it.  Most wars devolved into who could commit seppuku the quickest.  Alliances were fluid and fragile, at best.  I accidentally jumped out to an early lead in victory points, and stayed there until the last couple rounds when a very potent combination from Dragonfly decimated our VPs.  I staged a late rally, but still was outdone by Dragonfly and Fox.  If I hadn't forgotten I was involved in a war, and completely misjudged my last war, I might have done better.  I dare say that everyone had a good time.

I enjoyed it enough that I'm looking at the game on CMON, and realizing just how many KS exclusives there were--which means I probably won't buy it.  There seems to be, to be fair, a tremendous amount of content in the base game.  And if it were just tokens/minis that were exclusive, I probably would be more interested--but with season cards and the like being exclusive, that just says "no" in my book.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Chrome said:

I enjoyed TSQ, but it just takes up soooo much space. When you're sitting on the far side of the dungeon it can be a pain to track what monsters are over there. They def could have laid things out better.

Part of me feels that there is a lot of wasted space on that board, and part of me enjoys the extra room.  

Apparently they are making a neoprene mat with smaller dimensions.

• Like 2

Played quite a few games this weekend:

A game my daughter came up with that she calls Pokemon Power Cards. It is a hidden bidding game with a resource pool that is rolled for. Simple, but not a bad idea.

20181103_122744.thumb.jpg.5a4d5f747812e669525340ae9ea20179.jpg

20181103_121942.thumb.jpg.dda3273a09a17f946e553d92a2952f6e.jpg

20181103_121938.thumb.jpg.aa503a8288121aca2ee1e4cc1d2105a6.jpg

Resistance (forgot to take a pic mid-game). Hadn't played this in years. It was a perfect social deduction game for a room of non-gamers.

20181103_183917.thumb.jpg.e8ea34ed9202cac30ca119e541520ac7.jpg

Tsuro was a nicely follow up with nearly no need for rules explanations. 

20181103_184555.thumb.jpg.d021450640c4f201212ed36379e91e91.jpg

Welcome to... was with the same group and was the first time I had played it. Most had fun, but a couple were still confused at the end of the game.

20181103_190203.thumb.jpg.e7c27e47fe28733de9fec142dfe38ad1.jpg

Games with the kids today:

Lovecraft Letter was a great two player game with my daughter. Nice to have a Loveletter game with an actual difference in rules.

20181104_085527.thumb.jpg.3facc4df9a68183e4877917150594daa.jpg

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters as a two player with my son (who was jealous of my daughter getting a two player game in).

20181104_102037.thumb.jpg.e0bb50db5f138d9f1a98d7c189bde0cb.jpg

Magic Labyrinth was fun with the three of us.

20181104_110039.thumb.jpg.6fe0859e07225a992d0c6546c295d54c.jpg

• Like 3

We finally opened a copy of Happy Salmon that we have had for quite a while. That game is hilariously fun!

We played nine times! Half of which were with my in-laws!

• Like 1

Once again we broke out Star Trek: Ascendance, and once again we did not finish the game! This was one of the fullest maps we've ever played on, yet it didn't seem like any of us were very far along towards victory. Not really sure what was going on with this game....

One interesting/frustrating note - those are my red Klingons at the bottom of the pic. If you follow the bottom/right edge of the board you'll notice a dead-end system w/1 ship on it. That system is labeled Black Hole. And that 1 ship was the only surviving member of a 10-ship fleet that got sucked into said black hole. 2 turns of production down the drain....

Z6D4WorUigCL5EBdQY6Dfq7PYDXZzgIG9p8qDqXpHd1FgftPiR-PaCzFVfmSmafR99pLPjBrTKE0Tv7cQXJhsenam4x1B_pAkQDBjSSmCnquXCMMAy1EtqO4BLSEBcTV-r6aFedMGjl8EsYv1LiVppi3QjFeXRSmURQFcV7LelR8zIdWCdXcLTh4_qAQBOmJK-kADSY8Lpw4IXxawuE3m78vuUVsb1s8bcXZ7M5ZN7Rx_stNNjSg99xl7abqr79IzMLXOHLhtYZvrLSCWgkBvlxuUXLziwDba4hJTWKvtGrQDjG5O3l9dZ-CpGbQmvtL8YElm1qi1AL8OxrE3TNCZyRsiU890w0a2HymSIkvMTbhfB5-v1eTWUOVm58woAFa9JwdpsgICaRNuNs4y2V7LRgMiPHvOAlAu1ybI4UArZ4khvnpXlrgX7siSXTX5Lt3kSrEsJrj5h0ySYojaiA1TpMwff4ZGTaq1n5kwWFQ3w1JS5iTqRnXmIhAWziggdNgOuMRPjjp05yM4evy9K4O5h1O1GM6bnPlvH0Ol1iumeNMvsJiyZmZQTPZBuYodrZDJbQpzWX5XuENEvqv3Q5Izn_VN7-Tb7p_z-vvelIqJLotkpSbtlBoTqZe-Oci9Y6G4WV9VNtHJjwWS9AkZf97c7a-SSW_DAEGpFOhcf2eZWo=w1302-h976-no

• Like 1

Friend came over and we tried his new game - Above and Below. Each person has a village, and the goal is to build the village reputation by building above ground, and exploring or setting up outposts in the caves underground. The rules are very well thought out, but poorly described in the book. We had quite a while figuring out what was going on, but once we did, the game is actually very easy (and easy to describe to new players).

A turn consists of having an adventurer build, train a new adventurer, work, or explore (exploring can take multiple adventurers). Each person does what they can in turn until everyone passes, concluding the round. There are seven rounds. Person with the most reputation at the end of seven rounds wins. Exploring was fun, as each encounter was randomly determined and had a paragraph or two of story to go along with it from the Exploring Book. It has a good mix of luck and strategy. I won in large part because early on I decided to spend my gold on something that "generically looked useful" and it was VERY useful. 

I do recommend the game. It is replayable and entertaining, once you get into the swing of it. Pretty much as soon as the rules clicked, it became extremely smooth and logical. 

• Like 3