Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Sorry, forgot to take pictures!

We played Bloody Inn last night.  You try to be the one with the most money at the end of the game.  Sure, you can rent your rooms out to people, but you make a lot more money by killing them and burying their bodies.  Just make sure you have them buried when the cops come around our they'll fine you.  Pretty fun game, but was a little long as two of us didn't know what we were doing and some people took a long time to make decisions.  I would not mind playing again.

• Like 5

Tuesday night was Monthly Board Game Night at one of the local watering holes.

We played Grimm Forest twice and Cottage Garden once.

Grimm Forest was new to me and the first game was all learning. The second round employed some strategy.

Cottage Garden is one of my favorites. I enjoy the Tetris tile placement aspect. And it is just pretty. 

• Like 7

Played Fallout (the board game not the computer game).  I liked it but one of the four players did not.  He went so far as to deliberately kill himself off.  When we latter told him that he would comeback, he demurred. 

The ones that played the computer game liked it most.  I was far ahead until one of the two remaining opponents raized the star faction up two levels.  If I had done that task and instead raised the shield faction I would have won.  Oh well. 

• Like 8

We played Chronicles of Crime on Tuesday, we played 3 player and I really enjoyed it! I'd never played a boardgame that had a phone app as a main component of it so that was very novel, it was fun, took about 40 minutes and I would happily play again! 

We were at the boardgame cafe technically as part of a larger group, so after that we also played Codenames, we had one very good round and one very bad round!

• Like 3

Really wonderful day of games with a good friend.

We started the day by FINALLY cracking open Pandemic Legacy Season One. We picked it up shortly after release, interesting to play it with this friend, and then he passed his State Bar exams and became super busy, and we got super busy, and then we moved (across town, but still), and the game has been in its shrink wrap this whole time.

We kicked the pants out of January, then the first play of February reminded us that Pandemic is a Harsh Mistress: the setup of the game skewed heavily against us and we lost during the first player's second turn. We won on the second play of February.

Then we ate pizza and introduced our friend to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Which is the right thing to do for all your friends.

And we closed the day with Ghost Stories, which we miraculously won in the eleventh hour. A photo of the end state; at left, you can see our three Taoists dancing on the fallen husk of Wu Feng:

5721568511.thumb.jpg.c36d61fd39186c6d16f598ea301669a7.jpg

Sorry no photos of Pandemic, but they'd be spoilers anyway.

All in all a very good day.

• Like 6

Here are a bunch of pics of recent games with the family:

Sneaky Snacky Squirrel

20190209_164648.thumb.jpg.9d95a2ac3d8838c0501049aba65bbc15.jpg

Ice Cool

20190209_163210.thumb.jpg.35dfd7bef8907dfba752f5e3b3f78217.jpg

Monopoly Gamer 

20190209_133454.thumb.jpg.473bdf31717d364a50b154b0dec0ec2f.jpg

Azul

20190209_175351.thumb.jpg.450e6803e7ec33252ddb16f785a1bc11.jpg

More Monopoly Gamer

20190217_111354.thumb.jpg.a215d039570962a829f7dca1ef1767d3.jpg

Super Vampires

20190209_172159.thumb.jpg.5ff9cd17ea02a95add38dd069dc33113.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I need more info on Sneaky Snacky Squirrel! 11 Great nieces and nephews, I may need that game.

It is super simple! It is basically a Hi Ho Cherry-o variant. 

Spin the spinner. Then do what it says (get a specific color, any color, skip your turn, steal from someone, or lose all your acorns). Use the squirrel tongs to do these tasks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Talae said:

It is super simple! It is basically a Hi Ho Cherry-o variant. 

Spin the spinner. Then do what it says (get a specific color, any color, skip your turn, steal from someone, or lose all your acorns). Use the squirrel tongs to do these tasks.

Thanks! I am gonna have to check that out!

• Like 1

I just played Terraforming Mars.  This was the first time through it for us.  It started a little bumpy, but we got the hang of it.  terraforming was proceeding nicely until some bozo dropped phobos on my forest.  not bitter about that at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Big weekend of board games and, once again, I forgot to take pictures.  Saturday was supposed to be Pathfinder but people were sick so those of us who were healthy got together and played Dinosaur Island, with the Totally Extreme expansion (at least parts of it).  It was a fun game, but I lost because I couldn't quite make the park I wanted.  I needed more high capacity attractions to take advantage of the dinosaurs I picked, but people were always snatching them from me!  @fanguad let his dinos run loose and eat patrons on numerous occasions, so as an FYI, don't go to any theme park he is in charge of.  

We also played Hero Realms cooperatively, which is the first time I've ever played that way.  Hero Realms is a nice small deck builder, and the co-op/campaign mode allows you to fight against a big baddie deck.  It was pretty light, though we did set it to super easy as it was the last game of the day.  I wouldn't mind playing again on a tougher mode, or further down the campaign.  

Saturday night I went to my friend's house and we played Battle Sheep with his 6 yr old son.  The first game went over well for everyone, but his son got a bit bored midway through the second game.  There were probably too many distractions going on, and it was getting late.  Once his son went to bed and other people arrived, we played some Roll Player.  Again, a great game if you are a fan of D&D, particularly the old school, "roll three dice and that's what you get for your stat" type of D&D.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1