Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Monthly Board Game Weekend was this weekend.  I got in a 6 player Mission: Red Planet, one of my favorite (not quite) entry level board games.  Its also a game where a higher player count makes the game more entertaining.  

103405220_2018-06-1622_06_07.thumb.jpg.bdc75935a1ca2dfb20ffee7927edaa9d.jpg

We also played New York Slice, an "I split, you choose" game.  THAT was a little tougher since there's math involved and it was getting later in the night.  If someone asks you which has more math, flying astronauts to Mars or dividing up a pizza, the answer is the pizza one.  I enjoyed the game, but one person came away with -1 point so I'm not sure it was equally appreciated.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Talae said:

First or second edition? Make sure and check BGG and gameplay videos for that one before jumping in. I love the game, but the first rulebook is terrible and the second is only somewhat better.

Please don't let that hold you back, though.

Yeah, this one must have been second edition, because it came with two rulebooks ("Myth" and "Myth 2.0"). I found it odd that both would be included (if you update your rules, why put the old rules in the box?).

There was also a quick start/tutorial adventure included, but it was miserably prescriptive and also very slow, but didn't actually leave us with a useful understanding of the game rules. Lots of moments of, "ok, it says to do that, but it doesn't say why to do that, and the reason isn't easy to find in the main book." I would think a tutorial should at least reference page numbers in the main rules.

That said, I took the rule book to work with me (both, since the 2.0 book doesn't clearly state whether it's a full update or a supplement) and spent time going through it, and our second game was much more successful. It will be a good addition to the "too busy to prep D&D this week" game library.

Plus, moar minis.

• Like 3

The 2.0 rulebook was written as some mix between supplement and replacement. You need both. 

Watch the gameplay videos. They are long, but worth it. Also, check out bgg for threads on how to get started. They are worth it too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Monthly Board Game Weekend was this weekend.  I got in a 6 player Mission: Red Planet, one of my favorite (not quite) entry level board games.  Its also a game where a higher player count makes the game more entertaining.  

103405220_2018-06-1622_06_07.thumb.jpg.bdc75935a1ca2dfb20ffee7927edaa9d.jpg

I own the first edition of Mission : Red Planet!

Agreed, it's a fun game, with simple rules, yet demanding quite a bit of forethought and strategy.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

Our first ever Feld game hit the table for the first time today. Was fun as a three player game with my wife and 7 year old daughter.

20180618_130805.thumb.jpg.c308d2151ed2081b31c494bf37dea1ba.jpg

I punched out Clans of Caledonia today. Watched some How to Play videos...and am now contemplating making some foamcore insert trays. So many pieces...

Just played 7 Wonders Duel at lunch today.  Good stuff, as always.  

Played Diamat!, Plagues and Pestilence, and for the slightly thicker meat of the night: Ark!  

Overall we had fun and pretty light fare, although now we know why there are no dinosaurs on the ark:  the skunk moved in and the dinos couldn't take the smell!  nearly capsized the ark right there when they dove out! 

Played Pandemic: The Cure, which is the dice version of Pandemic.  It went over well with everyone (we did play on easy mode and won so, that helps).  The box is a little big for whats inside, but it does come with a silly amount of custom dice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

Played Pandemic: The Cure, which is the dice version of Pandemic.  It went over well with everyone (we did play on easy mode and won so, that helps).  The box is a little big for whats inside, but it does come with a silly amount of custom dice. 

I recently played Pandemic: Iberia, which I thought was much more interesting than Pandemic.

Another Mechs vs Minions mission: 

20180620_220834.thumb.jpg.bfef5ff02d616afb1821c50bd738985f.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, etherial said:

I recently played Pandemic: Iberia, which I thought was much more interesting than Pandemic.

Really?  I skipped that one as after the Cthulhu version, the dice version and base one with all the expansions, I was worried it would just be more of the same.  I am intrigued.  

this thread is as bad as the recent acquisitions thread for costing me money.  was reminded that mission: red planet was supposed to be really fun and Sushi GO was also recommended multiple times.  Planning on gaming session Friday with some new friends...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

was reminded that mission: red planet was supposed to be really fun 

Just a reminder, Mission: Red Planet is really fun.  Though I do recommend the higher player count for that game.  I enjoyed the game the least when there was just 3 of us.  

At lunch I played some Guillotine.  Good, harmless fun, so long as you aren't French.