Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

I hadn't heard of that game. Your pic isnt showing for me, but I might try and look that game up now.

As for me, here is what has hit the table recently:

Flashlights & Fireflies (not pictured)

Tsuro

20180706_144007.thumb.jpg.53a8a086eab30361d23433177253bdb3.jpg

Clans of Caledonia - solo for my first game

20180709_181356.thumb.jpg.2e926a49a3fd693b88618a3a4317388c.jpg

Castle Panic - wife and I were losing badly from early on, but came out with the win

20180708_225417.thumb.jpg.cbb7fda7aab1346049dc494d15e809d6.jpg

Lanterns: Harvest Festival - The five year old beat us all by quite a bit

20180709_113616.thumb.jpg.1ee8839894dfd0091b6b76a685b03926.jpg

Dixit - played this at my Mom's with a bunch of non-gamers.

20180707_205347.thumb.jpg.405801c28c5dbd8dee533afab0697a6b.jpg

Hyperspace Playtest (Kickstarter coming in the Fall)

20180705_235822.thumb.jpg.0f1731d4d0d765c2b1982273c03237cd.jpg

The Magic Labyrinth - this is becoming a favorite of the kids.

20180701_172118.thumb.jpg.c8b740798b72929e17cb1005a7e1ae63.jpg

Dragonwood - wife picked this up on clearance and it is a decent game

20180705_113141.thumb.jpg.4b76a5fb572543f52c73a43e4debb93a.jpg

Edited by Talae
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Talae said:

I hadn't heard of that game. Your pic isnt showing for me, but I might try and look that game up now.

Emergence Event? You can find it on MegaCon's website. Not sure anywhere retail carries it. It took my FLGS weeks to get it after they ordered it - guessing the supplier had to get it from MCG.

We started to play Through the Ages.  We are in the middle of Age I starting to play about 7:30 and stopping at 11:00.  I liked it so far.  We will pick it up in five weeks.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, ttuckerman said:

We started to play Through the Ages.  We are in the middle of Age I starting to play about 7:30 and stopping at 11:00.  I liked it so far.  We will pick it up in five weeks.

I picked that up for my iPad and I'm really not getting the hang of it.  I think I need to play it with humans.  

Some games from this week:

Happy Pigs at the game store -

20180713_145437.thumb.jpg.ab34c50e9aa0aae816d8823bcf69378f.jpg

Carcassonne at home for the first time with the kids and my first game in forever -

20180712_120619.thumb.jpg.3d824f8858203be3d7121ecc07b02b56.jpg

Mechs vs Minions with my wife. Another successful mission. 

20180712_172816.thumb.jpg.e1e9aad972a7e90a9006d9112dfcbae8.jpg

Connect Four at a local ice cream shop. We played like 10 games!

20180711_180103.thumb.jpg.7d51efc38fbdf49e759a4fde0969cb15.jpg

Trouble as requested by my son. I will be happy when we move on from this one, but at least it isn't Candyland. 

20180712_152724.thumb.jpg.70b20dfa3dfa30eb70e0a1e5df9cac8e.jpg

Drop It at the game store. Fun game!

20180713_131937.thumb.jpg.e838749002a5f02d95644d97df3385a0.jpg

King of Tokyo

20180711_141844.jpg

Edited by Talae
  • Like 2

So last weekend I went to Connecticon.  While I spend most of the time runnimg aroumd with the family, I did manage to get some games in.

I played Space Base, a kind of deck building game.  I say kind of, because you start with 12 cards, displayed at all times, and as you buy replacements tje old card hets turned upside down and placed at the top of the board.  On your turn you roll 2d6 and then can use the card at that place on the board.  So if I rolled a 5 and a six, I can use the action in the 5 and 6 space, or tje action in the 11 space.  Those cards you turned upside down and put at the top of the board?  You get to use those when other people roll on their turns.  Interesting mechanic and fun game.  As far as the theme goes, it was a little flat for me.  You could have had the same game with any other theme.  All that matters is getting buy points and victory points.  But I liked having something to do during everyones turn.

It was also the CT Festival of Independent Games so I tried a couple out.  One was Hibernation, where you play as bears fattening up for the winter.  Another deck builder, you buy cards to gather food or het energy to buy more cards.  When you have 10 pts of food, you turn them in to earn a hibernation token.  There are some nice mechanical effects (take two actions, earn 5 energy, earn 3 energy and reshuffle your discards back into the deck) so what seems to be a simple game actually has some strategic depth to it.

And then the family favorite Someone Has Died.  My youngest spent a good chunk of the con either playing this game or hanging out at the booth.  She event started running demos durimg the last day.  It is an improv card game.  The premise is that a person has died and players are making their case to the executor of the will for portions of the estate.  One player is the executor and the other players are dealt cards pertaining to who they are and thier relationship to the deceased.  For example, I was a timetraveler from the future, for whom this was thw first timw that I left my small town in Illinois and I knew her due to being in a fender bender with her.  The deseased was the spider lady of Manhattan who fave was covered in spiders.  There are also roadblock cards that you can play to force another player to change their story.  It feels like a faster version of Fiasco.  I liked it enough to preorder it and I might receive it prior to ReaperCon so it may be making an appearance.

This weekend's other games:

Click, Click, Boom (not pictured, but was with the creator and then we purchased it - social deduction game)

EcoGoGo (also not pictured, but was also - card game about a National Park ecosystem. We picked the Grand Canyon)

Cthulhu Wars

20180714_131522.thumb.jpg.faedbe2ee670e8a5b4b2aae8087c9fbf.jpg

A second Cthulhu Wars game:

20180715_115933.thumb.jpg.1c2388d600e5435337cf04ffa9f414b6.jpg

A third Cthulhu Wars game where we playtested the upcoming faction. (Not pictured)

Stuffed Fables:

20180715_173721.thumb.jpg.d7e13961f222d5c0ce08a1469dda7739.jpg

• Like 1

EcoGoGo - Grand Canyon: Got this game from a booth at a gaming Con. The game is a fairly simple card game built around the idea of endangered/extinct animals in a specific ecosystem. I guess he has a number of variations, but was only selling the Grand Canyon version due to being in the Phoenix area.

It was a ton of fun and will go over well with my daughter. Also, the designer seemed like a decent guy...he just needs to put a page on BGG for his game.

20180717_174050.thumb.jpg.c664ec43e73a9e0959ebe20c014a44c7.jpg

20180717_173814.thumb.jpg.4896684cd210b0a0c0d69798022989aa.jpg

• Like 3

Dr. Eureka with the kids:

20180720_102251.thumb.jpg.53b6d2075e9b9c9f341d928998f0fa34.jpg

20180720_104410.thumb.jpg.9521fbe57c651722c3ba554b91839542.jpg

Zombicide Black Plague with the gaming group:

20180722_143511.thumb.jpg.21b7fb72e5d731df6b51e6a8eca35177.jpg

20180722_143533.thumb.jpg.3aad4570adb945ed507b2947b31b846c.jpg

• Like 2

The group has been taking a well-deserved break from Imperial Assault.  To that end, a couple of the other guys have been asked to dig into their collections of games.

The first night was Space Empires 4x from GMT Games.  I had showed up a little before the other player and gotten a beer or two in me.  I'm much more the casual gamer who likes simple games that one can play and learn after having a couple beers.  Space Empires was not to be that game.  Once the hooch started wearing off, I picked up on things more quickly and it got easier.  I thought it was an interesting enough game, but not one that I particularly enjoyed.  I'd be curious to try it again being sober from the get-go.

The next couple nights we were scheduled to play did not happen.

Only one player was absent last game night, so we grabbed some things out of our game libraries (although I own only a couple--one of which we are taking a break from).  So my contribution was Elder Sign--we did not play this.  I've played the app a few times, and I enjoy it well enough.  But I was seriously not in the mood for "serious" gaming.  Even without beer being involved.

So first up was a toss-up between Star Trek: Ascendancy from Gale Force 9 and Arcadia Quest from Cool Mini or Not.  The chibi was strong that night, and we went with Arcadia Quest.  Things went crazy early when the owner decided to run with the PvP aspect--something I've generally not been happy with in games (especially since I am the proverbial weakest link in terms of skill level).  I couldn't roll damage to save my life, and only successfully took out the first monster I encountered.  My defense rolling, though, was much better.  It took many, many rounds of attacks before my archer finally fell.  The game's owner finally completed all three quests, the other player completed one quest, and I completed zero.  It was sort-of fun.  I wouldn't necessarily mind playing again, but I'd need a much better strategy and would be expecting the PvP from the get-go.

Round Two was a choice between another dungeon-crawl (which name I do not remember), Power Grid from Rio Grande Games, and a third (unremembered) game.  I asked for something easy to learn--and was rewarded with Power Grid.  It's a bidding and resource management game where the goal is to acquire power plants (fueled by various sources) and provide power to Germany (or the USA, we used the map of Germany).  I definitely enjoyed Power Grid the most.  While you were building your network, cutting off players from various cities, and bidding on power plants (or just trying to drive up the bid), the other players were doing the same.  We divided the board into East and West, and decided to play on the East half.  The owner won, I came in second, and was closely followed by the third player.  I wouldn't mind playing again to try to integrate some of the things I learned.  My tunnel-vision got the better of me in a couple instances, and I did not make optimal choices.  I definitely liked Power Grid the most out of the other games we have rotated in while waiting for more Imperial Assault.

I'm not sure what we'll do next game night.

• Like 3

I havent ever played Power Grid. I apparently have a misconception there. I was under the impression that is was more confusing than my group would like, but sounds in line with their capabilities based on your post. 

Arcadia Quest is one that my wife enjoys quite a bit. We just have the base game (non-KS version) and I think that is fine for us.

• Like 1

Public Service Announcement:  If you are bringing a game to game night, and/or being a vocal advocate for it...know the rules before bringing it to the table.  I don't mind learning a new game, or having someone bring a new game with the express purpose of learning, but that expectation needs to be set.  

I played 404: Law Not Found on Saturday night.  It was the only game we played at game night and, technically, didn't even finish it.  It states an hour playtime but we started around 9:00 and quit at midnight.  If you include the rules, it took even longer, but we made our first, tentative, faulty moves at 9:00.  This was not a fun experience for me, though one of my friends did say he wouldn't mind going again, now that we actually grasp the rules and concepts. 

The game is a programming game.  You are a robot on board a spaceship filled with humans and a monkey, and you get 3 missions to complete.  The first one to complete all three missions wins.  The humans and monkeys are run by a fairly simple program and then you get 5 cards and have to choose three of them to run your program.  The cards will direct you through a type of door, Pick something up/Put something down, Run a machine or Reorder a stack of objects.  

This feels like a Kickstarter game in all the worst ways and, after looking at Board Game Geek, that appears to be the case.  The rules are poorly written and there are some obvious problems with the graphic design.  For example, you are asked to go through the events deck and remove all the anomalies.  The problem is, the anomalies are not identified by words (each type of card has its own picture), and there is no picture of the card in the rule book.  So, as a first time player, I had no idea what cards were the anomalies. 

Edited by Unit04
typo!
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, strawhat said:

Round Two was a choice between another dungeon-crawl (which name I do not remember), Power Grid from Rio Grande Games, and a third (unremembered) game.  I asked for something easy to learn--and was rewarded with Power Grid.  It's a bidding and resource management game where the goal is to acquire power plants (fueled by various sources) and provide power to Germany (or the USA, we used the map of Germany).  I definitely enjoyed Power Grid the most.  While you were building your network, cutting off players from various cities, and bidding on power plants (or just trying to drive up the bid), the other players were doing the same.  We divided the board into East and West, and decided to play on the East half.  The owner won, I came in second, and was closely followed by the third player.  I wouldn't mind playing again to try to integrate some of the things I learned.  My tunnel-vision got the better of me in a couple instances, and I did not make optimal choices.  I definitely liked Power Grid the most out of the other games we have rotated in while waiting for more Imperial Assault.

There are many expansion maps, some of which have funky rules. My favorites are Japan and Australia. My advice for avoiding tunnel vision is to avoid buying too many power plants and to avoid paying too much for power plants.

• Like 1

I did "OK" with the bidding (being led in a couple places, following in others).  I did some quick estimates in my head regarding how much I was willing to pay for power plants, and kept to it.  I didn't get crazy going after resources.  I didn't buy plants unless I got a definite step up in efficiency or output.  I missed an opportunity to expand to the South, which was preferable for multiple reasons, and went North instead (going after two cheap cities instead of one more expensive connection).  I was the second player into the cities in the North, and the other player was nowhere near--so it was a serious misjudgment on my part.  Those cities could have sat in my back pocket for many turns before I'd even have to begin thinking about losing them.

I think I got a little cocky after my initial set-up was on a "free-advance" city that the second player missed.

• Like 1