• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FireImp
      Finished another of the gifted old school minis, this one a Ral Partha (sez so on the base). I really like the sculpt on this one, so much detail...tiny shallow detail that would be easy to lose. So I did very little highlighting after the sepia ink wash.  

Now what to do about the base. I’m going to attach it to a larger base, but I’d like to be able to take that off someday in the future A) for RP verification, and B) to build a better base if I ever get into that. I’m wondering if regular white glue would be a good choice?

• By 72moonglum
      So at the same time I was working on my female hill giant, I was also working on two centaurs that the great Julie Guthrie had sculpted around 1982. I did them at the same time because I was looking for the same flesh tones because both I figured spend tons of time outside so should be very tan. 

Anyhow, an advanced warning and a link because the female centaur is showing off her mammal parts, so here's a link to her front:

Female Centaur front

and from the other side:

As well as her male companion, who is chasing her around it seems like:

Anyway a flash back into the past.  These centaurs weren't actually available too long either, being replaced by other figures under their same code.  I was told that if a set or figure didn't sell at least 200 pieces, they would get retired, so I imagine this might have been their fate back then which is a pity because they are really beautiful minis.

And I've had both of these since the eighties, but finally got around to painting them, so hope you enjoy! It's never too late to paint a mini!

• By Vacaroja
      Going a little ambitious here as I've never tried doing this many multiples at once.  3 different old school army sets from the 80s and 90s.  From front to back we have Grenadier's Orcs of the Severed Hand, Grenadier's Ogres of the East, and some of Ral Partha's Gargantuan Orcz.

The last group is not a complete set, but random picks I got from Iron Winds Metal.  Though they're called gargantuan, they're not so much nowadays as can be seen when you compare them to a Bones orc.

Also, as they're random picks, some of them don't have all their parts, like the one above on the left is suppose to have a shield.  So big Bones over there made a sacrifice as I actually wasn't too keen on painting him anyway.

And this next guy is a standard bearer, but I don't have the standard.  So I put something together with a Reaper Weapons Pack piece and a GW skull.

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening everybody,

just got finished with this little lady last night, a female cleric from the Hackmaster series, sculpted by Jim Johnson.  Like usual, looking at everything so closely I can see so many glaring errors, but I give up, must enjoy what I've done and not complain.  

This little cleric lady looks kind of nun-like, but I didn't want to do her with blacks and whites so went for reds, oranges and yellows instead. Maybe she worships some kind of fire god, who knows?

Anyway, fun figure to paint and has that characteristic Jim John face, angular and a good time to paint:

My metals turned out I thought really blue, and upon reflection, the breastplate would have looks really cool were it to have been black, but  maybe for my next female cleric, who knows?

And just in case you're curious, she is wearing a shoe, but it ended up getting a little too hidden in the grass.

So anyhoos, enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello Everybody,

so partially inspired by a post Master Buglips did a year ago that I can't help but keep looking back to, and partially inspired by the fact that this is a figure I've always wanted to get around to painting since I first saw it in the latter seventies/early eighties, I've finally taken the plunge and splattered some paint on this excellent figure sculpted by Julie Guthrie.  Unpainted, her face seems to be a little bit surreal, but once you actually get some paint on her, her face becomes both brutal and beautiful at the same time. 

As in everything, these pictures let me see tons of imperfections, but if you look at it with your bare eyeballs, or even close up with some magnification goggles, you don't really notice certain things.  

I really love this figure, and started with her skin as a base of Tanned Shadow, and then went down and up from there.  Tried to keep her firmly tied into earth tones, but had to do something with the jewels, but tried to make them "nature related" by keeping them green.  

For a giant nowadays, she's pretty small, but if you put her up against any Partha piece of your time, she fits in quite nicely.  I now have a painted giant collection that has reached the grand old amount of seven, three Meier Frost Giants, two Meier Hill Giants, a Meier Cloud Giant, and this Julie Guthrie gem, who is the smallest and squattest of them all (except if you hunt down the Tom Meier Fire Giant, who is probably just about the same size as a 21st century man-sized figure).

• Who's Online   38 Members, 2 Anonymous, 284 Guests (See full list)