wdmartin

Faces are hard

If I remember right, 'Thee Derick Schubert' method is be paints a black iris first than dots iris color on bottom of black dot, and

a white dot on top of the color top. For myself hard to achieve, but looks great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wdmartin said:

Thanks!  What's the Schubert method?  I've read about Bette Davis eyes already, but haven't heard that one before.

My primary working brushes are Raphael 8404 kolinskies.  I've also tried Rosemary & Co kolinskies, but they were shipped without those little plastic caps to protect the bristles; by the time they got to me, they were so beaten up from shipping that they were basically unusable.

I keep synthetics around for a few specific tasks: eyes are one.  The synthetic bristles tend to be stiffer than natural hair brushes, and I find that helpful for precision work.  The other thing I use them for are working with astringent paints (like Tamiya clears) that would damage natural bristles.  Oh, and I keep a fairly big one around just for blopping on brush-on sealer.

That's it really -- I use synthetics for tiny stuff and great big stuff.  The workaday medium range is all sable.

Did you contact the seller about those Rosemary & Co brushes?  Mine have always arrived with caps and cardboard to protect them.  They are a little stiffer than the Raphaels, I think, so you might like them.   

• Like 1

No, I didn't.  I meant to, but it kept getting put off.  Where do you get yours?  I bought mine direct from Rosemary & Co.

2 hours ago, wdmartin said:

No, I didn't.  I meant to, but it kept getting put off.  Where do you get yours?  I bought mine direct from Rosemary & Co.

Same.  I've bought brushes from them a few times, so definitely your experience sounds odd.  Could customs have opened them?

• Like 1

Here is a link to Schubert's method. I've tried it. I tend to like the Bette Davis version a bit better, but to each their own. Benefit to this is that you don't have to paint over stuff, but you do have to be more careful in the process (similar to Reimer's method). 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, wdmartin said:

You should definitely contact them if it hasn't been too long. I bought some direct and two of them were damaged when i opened them and they mailed me out two replacements free right away, including the shipping.

• Like 1

I think the eyes I did on this one were closer to Schubert eyes, then, but not exactly the same.

Anyway, progress!  Other parts of the model now have paint.

hyrekia-face-05.thumb.jpg.133a84d5eaf34e24c113ed3af85e35ef.jpg

The puffy sleeves got base coated in Palomino Gold, then got a few layers of Solid White.  The Jerkin is Crimson Red (base) with an unidentified brighter red whose label has worn off.  Blood red maybe?  It needs more highlighting.  I'm pleased with her torso even though it does need more work.

I put an initial base coat of Solid Black on her hair, and picked out the ear tips in Olive Skin Shadow.  Plenty more work to do there.  The belts and her satchel (not pictured) have a base coat of Oiled Leather but nothing else yet.

The skirt is messy as heck, and not cooperating.  There's a particularly rough patch right next to the top of the right boot (viewer's right) where a hair got painted in and refused to come off for anything less than picking at it with a scalpel tip.  Which ruined a good chunk of paint there.  Sigh.

It's not fully base coated yet.  I still haven't painted her boots, bracers, staff, sword, or belt doodads.

Speaking of which, sometimes I get really tired of figures with a bazillion little bits of clutter hanging off their belts.  I've been doing this for almost five years now, and the more minis I paint, the more I appreciate simple, clear sculpts.  I don't need them to be festooned with weapons and gear.  The added realism is not worth the tradeoff in painting time.  This lady would be a lot closer to completion if I didn't have to worry about her collection of mathoms.

• Like 8

More progress.

hyrekia-face-06.thumb.jpg.0548ba5786fc92320ce7e130edb19d2f.jpg

hyrekia-face-07.thumb.jpg.bbf527d6c0fcf38e4569edd6224139a7.jpg

hyrekia-face-08.thumb.jpg.c26bda08c0873048124b407d5bd3494d.jpg

Added a bit of Clear Red to her cheekbones; no other changes to the face.  The rest of it has been work on her clothing and accessories.

Her vest is coming along nicely.  I did more highlighting -- several layers of thin Clear Red, then a bit of 2:1 Clear Read/Fire Orange for some of the brightest spots.  I think the yellow base coat of her sleeves is too noticeable.  Perhaps a really, really thin glaze of Pure White to make that read as white.

Her skirt, on the other hand, is fighting me every step of the way.  I decided I wanted it blue rather than white, and took it down to Snow Shadow, then a wash of Formula P3 Blue Ink, then started highlighting with Snow Shadow, then a blend of Snow Shadow and Linen White, and finally some straight Linen White in a few places.  But it's just not coming together.   The blends are lousy compared to the fairly smooth blending on her vest.  I'm thinking maybe of starting over on the skirt -- again -- and basing it in the deepest shade I want, then highlighting up from there.  Maybe Breonne Blue as the base?

All of her belt-doodads are logically made of leather, and I've got base coats of brown on them -- no shading or highlighting as yet.  I may re-do the mug as a metal, though.  Too much brown!

I haven't even begun her staff, but I'm thinking perhaps the crystal on the end should be vibrant red.

• Like 5

More progress.  A fair bit, honestly.

hyrekia-face-09.thumb.jpg.6ce5f09cb3f20edfaa8ffa5962dc6a0b.jpg

hyrekia-face-10.thumb.jpg.a408946ad8fbefb2890b2ade10ff99bb.jpg

hyrekia-face-11.thumb.jpg.84e3baaf52f2bd07f4ce5d8c4411ca85.jpg

The skirt is coming along.  Taking it down to Breonne Blue, then highlighting with Twilight Blue and then Snow Shadow just worked a lot better.

The yellow in the sleeves has been toned down a bit with glaze, and I've added some brown to her boots and bracers, and highlighted her kneecap.

I spent some time working on her accessories.  They need more work.  But the mug is better as metal, though it needs highlighting.

I still haven't done anything with her staff.  I made an attempt at highlighting her hair, but I'm not sure you can actually see it.

• Like 7