A cooler day, finally.

thunderer_1_more_base_coats_front.jpg.be4067cecc35ed4e59bda33b7aa673b6.jpgthunderer_1_more_base_coats_back.jpg.a98afbf7e9c5154d7f1689f472dfe900.jpg

Cloth is MSP Gothic Crimson.  Base colour for the steel bits is S75 Black Metal.  Steampunk reactor-y bit is S75 Emerald Alchemy over some MSP Solid White.

The problem now is that the Clockwork Brass is looking a bit rough next to the S75 Black Metal.  It may be getting too....something.....

May look at my P3 metallics and see if I want to switch.

• Like 11

So the heat and humidity finally broke here a week or two ago.

But then I've spent the last couple of weeks helping my wife move 50 years worth of stuff out of her parents home as it is selling in a few weeks.

We dragged all the furniture over on Wednesday (then recovered from moving all the furniture on Thursday) so today she finally relaxed enough to go have some fun with the kid.

So I got to paint a bit. (not too much, cause everything still hurts a bit from Wednesday).

During that 2 months or so, I decided to order the other S75 metals sets.  So here is an update on our intrepid Thunderer #1.

thunderer_1_new_metallics.jpg.f03dcfe49df8f03dea6f937e37f64dce.jpg

Breastplate is now S75 Decayed Metal, then Victorian Brass.  A little AP Flesh Wash.  Some more Victorian Brass.  And a little highlighting with S75 Amber Alchemy and Moonstone Alchemy.

The rest of arm and leg bits just have a base coat of Decayed Metal.

I think that is about the look I'm going for.

• Like 12

Been very busy lifting heavy things, but the in-law's house is done, walk through was yesterday (along with putting out the 37 bags of recycling and 10 bundles of cardboard....:upside:).

So, a bit of base coating today.

5_some_basecoating.jpg.4530dd12eb4d2457dc5ce1575cef4616.jpg

My back, shoulders and neck all feel like crap from lifting way too may heavy things (no, I don't know why there was the block from a 305 in the garage...) so just 20 minutes of slapping some S75 Decayed Metal on.

It is a start at least, and hopefully my hands will be steadier next time.

• Like 12

Two days of painting in a row! Been a while since that happened....

I'm at the track the next 2 days so I know I won't make 3.

Some S75 Black Metal base coating today.

5_more_basecoating.thumb.jpg.1e643dbb161b774879d6a5f56fe6aaa7.jpg

Made it almost 30 minutes before getting too shaky this time.  Might try another session later, depending on how everything else I need to get done today goes, and what my back thinks of that idea.

• Like 10

Jasper! It's been a while! Yeah I picked up a starter kit of Space Wolves quite a while back as a friend of mine was really into WH2K and wanted me to start playing. I think I got through 2 figures until I got burned out on the planning, prepping, painting, etc. I think they came out pretty ok, but yours are looking fantastic! I haven't heard of that faction before, but I haven't been to a GW store in over a year. We don't have them in my town, plus like you said, they're $$$. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kharsin said:

Jasper! It's been a while! Yeah I picked up a starter kit of Space Wolves quite a while back as a friend of mine was really into WH2K and wanted me to start playing. I think I got through 2 figures until I got burned out on the planning, prepping, painting, etc. I think they came out pretty ok, but yours are looking fantastic! I haven't heard of that faction before, but I haven't been to a GW store in over a year. We don't have them in my town, plus like you said, they're $$$. 

This one is one of the newer factions that came out with Age of Sigmar, the game that replaced Warhammer Fantasy :) 

• Like 1

So. 1 hour endurance race at the end of the day yesterday. 40 or so minutes in, a pro stock tears a hole in the oil pan and makes a complete lap (1.6 Miles, 2.5 kilometers) before running out of oil...

A little over 2 hours later we'd finished putting down oil absorbent materials (oil absorb and concrete dust), scrubbing it in with brooms, and using blowers to clear the excess dust.

Needless to say, my back is in no shape to paint today. 

But at least I'm watching some painting videos!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      Over the past few weeks I've been teaching my wife how to play Kill Team as a stepping stone to 8th edition 40K. There was only one small flaw to this plan however. My wife intends to play daemons in 40K (already has her first box and codex) but the daemons are not a viable faction in Kill Team.

So we had to find her a team so I could teach her the much smaller game first. She looked at the different factions and decided to try the Orks. This seemed like a good fit to me, learn a more melee than shooting team in preparation for a more melee army. Seeing as we're transitioning from D&D to 40K we also have a lot of Orks to immediately create a proxy team for her.

I assembled a mish mash of miniatures and built her a fairly basic team. We started playing about once a week and I'd introduce new aspects of the game each time. This meant the first couple of games were pretty basic but were easier to pick up. This probably wasn't necessary as she had learned and played a ton of Song of Blades and Heroes with our friends but I know learning new systems can be daunting and a little intimidating for her though, so our first games were really basic. 

Now that we're pretty close to playing the game with all the rules, tactics, and abilities I'm realizing we may play Kill Team more than I expected. Which of course lead to the creation of this thread because now I have to build and paint my wife an Ork Kill Team for Christmas. 

I've already purchased two boxes of orks and finished all the preliminary work before painting, so tonight I started my wife's orks. I began with the skin and used Viper Green as a base. That received a wash of Citadel Biel-Tan Green, with a highlight of Muddy Olive which I thought made for a pretty nice effect. I used Nightshade Purple for the "armor" because my wife's favorite color is purple and I simply couldn't think of any other way to get purple on the miniature. And let's be honest purple "armor" isn't any odder than some of the "official" color schemes. 

Though I managed to start some of the other areas most of the focus tonight was on the flesh and armor. I've also decided to do this project in batches of only two figures; this being a gift for my wife I want them to look better than my Cadian team. 
    • By Crowley
      In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...

Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.

Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
      She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.

and the cork will give her some extra height. 

It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!

More to come!
    • By Metalchaos
      Here's Niles Nimbletoe, the Rogue in our D&D group. 02769, Woody the Halfling Ranger is Dark Heaven Legends model sculpted by Werner Klocke.
      It's a model I had already painted a long time ago. I refreshed the colors and I added mud on his coat. This little guy is so tiny I monted it on a 20mm base.

• By Pingo
      Apparently I never started a WIP thread for this miniature. This is Reaper's 50304: Rowena Von Graaf, sculpted by Julie Guthrie, which I started painting a long time ago. She's a fun steampunk figure.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I decided to paint her with a pretty black face.

Here's a close-up of her face. There are tiny white points which are microscopic unpainted pits in the figure. They are much smaller irl than they show up in the photographs. I am slowly (maddeningly) working to fill them in as I go.

I decided to paint her underskirt pink. This is Quinacridone Magenta lightened with Titanium White.

And the base coat on her dress and spats is straight Red Oxide.

And this is where I left her (cough) about a year and a half ago. More to come!
    • By Sharkbelly
      Here is the next part of the army. 9 of 18 orc warriors. Just the black primer and a little green so far.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)