I've never been much of a fan of GW.  I mean the first fig I ever painted was GW, but that's because my friend (who was also the store owner) gave it to me for free (Come on, try it, the first one's free....).

And I played some Bloodbowl back in the day (should really finish my Chaos Dwarf team one of these days...only been a decade or two).

But I never really got into anything GW was making. Style wasn't what I was looking for, or the price point, or whatever.

So then last week I was in Montreal for the GP (great time, too bad the race itself was soooooo boring). Was visiting a friend who lives up there and we wandered into the rather impressive GW store in the Eaton Centre.  Took a look around and caught sight of this:

box.thumb.jpg.0dab4a70742dc915aa05e7c249b4dd49.jpg

Apparently a new edition of Age of Sigmar is coming out this week, and these guys are a faction.  Or whatever the different groups are called.

I thought, "Those are pretty cool!  Flying stuff.  Steampunky.  I like."

Then we left.  And I went and marshaled for 3 days (the support races were better, btw).

Then we met back up on Monday.  And I was still thinking about the cool steampunky flying ships.  So we went back and I picked up the starter. (they have 2 bigger flying ships too, but ouch, not cheap).

So, this is what they look like when you open the box:

sprues.thumb.jpg.d618208000ceb3ff54862e7c40d11107.jpg

Oye! Lots of bits.  Looks like everything has options (they have a very detailed assembly guide, quite impressive).  Options that presumably follow rules.  Rules I'm not sure I'll ever read, let alone play. 

But I may check with the local store; I think they had some folks playing something GW.

So that's all I've done with them so far, but figured I'd post and get the WIP started. These may take a bit to get going.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's a neat looking airship!

You should see the two bigger ones!

ArkanautIronclad01.thumb.jpg.2e0c1905502d878c06d32f1f0d1be7e3.jpg

ArkanautFrigate01.thumb.jpg.31fad3bd9375f81d4f071d127859f37c.jpg

Pricy but impressive....

• Like 7

They're definitely gorgeous on their own.  I can see why some of the AoS players are.... Of mixed feelings about the faction. 

But since this is about minis, oh my, can't wait to see what yo udo with them! 

• Like 1

Starting on random first guy.  7 parts seems excessive.  Will move on to the plastic cement once the superglue for the pins is set.

thunderer_2_parts.jpg.e2a95a5213b41d3bf0cc3a7982a41c7a.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah, Games Workshop likes their bits of bits to make more bits kind of thing. 

Some models can wind up being 12-15 pieces.  My Skaven rank and file guys are from the old kits, and each guy is seven pieces (two arms, legs/hips, head, chest, tail, and shield).   My Catachan Sentinels are up their in piece count too, being around a dozen or so easily (with the driver being three separate pieces if I remember correctly), but they're a vehicle. 

They argue it allows for more dynamic posing, I say it's appreciated until you glue your fingers together :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(nukes bag of popcorn, settles in)

I've been debating whether or not to invest in a few of these, seeing as how in my world of the unhinged the Coffee Dwarves are on a bit of a science bender. The torso piece kinda reminds me of the power armor from Fallout. 

Are you going to be following the box art or do you have another color scheme in mind?

32 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, Games Workshop likes their bits of bits to make more bits kind of thing. 

Some models can wind up being 12-15 pieces.  My Skaven rank and file guys are from the old kits, and each guy is seven pieces (two arms, legs/hips, head, chest, tail, and shield).   My Catachan Sentinels are up their in piece count too, being around a dozen or so easily (with the driver being three separate pieces if I remember correctly), but they're a vehicle. 

They argue it allows for more dynamic posing, I say it's appreciated until you glue your fingers together :p

I have a bunch of Mordheim Skaven, and I remember them being a bit of pain. But the old style zombies and skeletons were a lot easier to work with as body sections. The zombies also matched well with the empire regiment making kitbashing easy. I did a box of the newer skeletons a few years ago and while I loved the fact that they were decently armored, the assembly was more irritating than the older style. 

• Like 2

Got caught up with the second thunderer.  His gun was in 3 pieces, for no particular reason.

In case anyone is wondering, for each fig I pick what I think is the "coolest" weapon, with no regard for the rules, which I haven't read. So first guy got the 5 barrel gun, obviously.  Second guy had the option of an aether cannon, or something like that, which might be a wicked weapon (or not) but it was kind of boring to look at, so I went with their stock gun instead.

thunderer_1_and_2_bodies_glued.jpg.7a56fec041ab29c6a54b7317c4778d82.jpgthuinderer_1_and_2_arms.jpg.476fcbbec8b4c643484bc5a84a9c7a8c.jpg

Backpacks might make a few bits hard to reach but stuck them on anyway. Arms and guns will have to be painted separate. 

Colour scheme......guess I'll have to decide sometime soon.....

Unlikely to follow the box (at least too closely), I tend to prefer to wing it.  But I'll take a good look at the box before I get started.

Likely done for today, time to get started on supper

• Like 12

Got the gunnery sergeant together-ish.

gunnery_sergeant_body.jpg.f8a42b9a6c6ef0965398d801fe5027f4.jpggunnery_sergeant_arms_bird.jpg.b37c2189098fb383ebe53a430b576705.jpg

Yes, he seems to have a clockwork parrot for his shoulder...

This fig had quite the number of options.  He could be built as another thunderer instead of a sergeant, likely a good thing if you are building bigger units (assuming that's a thing in the game).

Once you decide on the sergeant build, he has two different left legs (I went with the mechanical one) and a couple of different heads.  And you could leave the parrot off  (by why would you!).

I've got the other two figs from this unit all clipped out and will hopefully get them together by the end of the day.

• Like 11

And the Grundstok Thunderers are as assembled as possible for now.

5_assembled.jpg.f4da24561229e5d6e745d84f7c0cb20a.jpg

All ready for a quick wash and then priming.

Might get the washing done tomorrow before mowing....

• Like 13

I've been eyeing these guys for a while, though more with the intent to kitbash them with Skaven, cause who doesn't need flying skaven ships?! 

On the parts topic, they have gotten almost as bad as Kingdom Death and Malifaux...  not quite, but close...  At least most GW stuff is relatively stubby, whereas the others I mentioned are in more pieces, which are smaller and more delicate... 

Looking forward to watching this all come together. 

• Like 3

Still too freaking hot around here. Had a lovely cool day on the weekend that would have been perfect for painting (or sleeping) but it was also a perfect day for motorcycle racing some I spent the day doing race control.

Managed to get started this morning anyway, although didn't get too far. I'm trying to figure out the paint scheme for the entire army so taking  it slow.  I expect it will be somewhat similar to the GW scheme on the box, lots of metallics and nice dark purples, since that looks pretty good.  But I don't use much for GW paint so I'll just be feeling out what looks good.  Once I get the first guy sorted it should get easier and quicker.

thunderer_1_beginnings.jpg.760d253abaf78794a00d7fce82ad5097.jpg

Initial base coat of MSP Clockwork Brass (sure hope I have enough left....don't know what I'll do if I ever run out of it.  Lovely colour).

Then a wash of AP Flesh Wash.

Then I started sweating.  Freaking heat.  Next house is having AC.

• Like 10