Madog Barfog

Any modern replacement for GE Natural incandescent bulbs?

A long time ago (years, actually), those of us who didn't want to spend large sums on Ott lights used "natural" bulbs made by General Electric. These were bluish, incandescent, 60 watt bulbs that gave a more sunlike color spectrum than regular house bulbs.

Technology has moved on and I'm looking for modern replacements. The incandescents get pretty warm, hot enough to deform the plastic on another lamp I use, and my new painting room gets pretty hot when my fiancé and I have 2 illuminated magnifying lamps going, plus a laptop, three dogs that hangout, an upstairs room, etc. I'd like to buy a pair of LED bulbs (or CF, if that's the only option) with the same light characteristics.

However, searches of my local hardware store, Meijer, plus Amazon and even a general Google search have turned up nothing. I used to buy these at the local Home Depot, and I'm a bit concerned that LEDs can't do what tungsten filaments did in regards to spectrum. I am looking for a "standard" size of bulb and base, just like the old incandescent house lights I bought for decades before CF became a thing and then were replaced by LEDs running on house current.

What is considered the replacement for these old bulbs? What do people use today, and where can I buy some?

Edited by Madog Barfog
Typo

Good LED panels have a CRI (Color Rendering Index) higher than 95. It's pretty difficult to see the difference between that and a true blackbody radiator (which doesn't actually exist, btw).

GE Reveal bulbs have a much lower CRI, because they started with a tungsten filament (around 3500K), then used a coating in the bulb to shift some of that light into a blue spike. They're not as good, frankly, because their spectrum curve is quite uneven as a result.

But if you want them, you can probably find them under the Reveal trademark.

• Like 1

I have greatly enjoyed my LEDs.  I have a mix of 5k bulbs and strips of RBG LEDs which have a controller that allows me to shift my color from cool to very warm depending on what I shift the light to.

For years I used 6000-6500k CFL daylight bulbs. They were quite serviceable. I switched to 5000k LED bulbs three years ago and have been very pleased. The LEDs have good color, less heat and throw plenty of light (with 2 overhead arm lamps and one clip-on lamp that I only use occasionally). 

The River site has several CRI 90+ options.. apparently you can enter the model number on the energy star product specs search and it will tell you the CRI from when energy star tested the product

19 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

The River site has several CRI 90+ options.. apparently you can enter the model number on the energy star product specs search and it will tell you the CRI from when energy star tested the product

And if you hate Amazon, B&H and Adorama carry many of the same lights. (I think both also sell on Amazon as third-party retailers.) FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with some of the smaller Viltrox and Aputure LED panels, but make sure you understand their power requirements and possibly have a way to support the panel for painting.

You can pick up an LED 60 watt equivalent for less than $10 at any sure that sells bulbs. I find they look great and balance color well.