Baldur8762

Cheap but Good Brush Recommendation?

Greetings all, 

I have some excellent Kolinsky Sable Brushes for my detailed work, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for less expensive brushes that are still decent? I purchased a very cheap set from Walmart and the synthetic fibers seem to keep falling out and I ruined a mini.  Perhaps this is because they were so cheap. I would like something that is still good, but can be abused a bit. I am super careful with my nice brushes (probably neurotically so) and I know better than to abuse those! 

Rosemary & Co can be inexpensive if you're in the UK (and maybe Europe too? I've only looked at shipping costs for Canada), and can still be relatively low in cost for those overseas if purchasing in bulk. 

Several people on the forums here love their Eclipse series flat brushes for drybrushing (as well as priming and various other duties), and even the Series 33 is apparently able to survive the abuse a 7 day challenge throws at them while still being a kolinsky Sable brush. 

Edit: both of those lines seem to get a good amount of happy things said about them by a number of people on the forums ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

My Virtuoso synthetic set that I got off Amazon is good for the price. Plus, you get a carrying case with it. They aren't as good as kolinsky by any stretch, but they are great for base coating, basic layering, and I don't mind handing them to novice friends. 

I still would recommend getting some workhorse kolinsky brushes (really, you are good enough to take care of them!), but for guilt free but useful synthetics, those are useful. 

• Like 1

I like the golden taklon Master's Touch brushes from Hobby Lobby. Usually under $5 each, they are half price this week.  They hold up well for casual painting and can be replaced easily.  When they get older I just use them for applying glue, washes, or doing small drybrush work. 

I purchase cheap packs of 10 white nylon brushes off ebay. Some of them bend and split after a while, but they are often less than the price of a single good brush, and some of them work for months before being downgraded to a drybrush or stippler.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maledrakh said:

I purchase cheap packs of 10 white nylon brushes off ebay. Some of them bend and split after a while, but they are often less than the price of a single good brush, and some of them work for months before being downgraded to a drybrush or stippler.

Similar.

Arteza has become my go to for army work, I finish up details with nice brushes, but about 90% of my grunt work is done with the detail set from Arteza. Search: "Arteza Detail Paint Brush Set of 15", should take you right to it. Not all of them will be winners, but for about $1 a piece you'll have some good synthetic workhorses. 

A set like that does a lot to eliminate brush guilt too (where you feel bad using a certain brush for a certain task (like a small brush for drybrushing or something). 

Edited by pinkymadigan

I'll second the Eclipse series from R&Co. I love their flats, filberts, and angles. Haven't tried the other shapes yet. They take quite a bit of abuse and I'll use them for general painting on bigger things (currently using them on Ma'al). I believe they have recently made shipping flat rate to a little less than $10 USD through the mail.

• Like 1