The next project should be a bit easier than the ships. Have brought 3 boxes of cardboard letters from Aldi. They are on sale and were part of their middle isle wedding stationery promotion. They spell "L OV E" not "F I R S T T R Y". 

The idea is to make a temple wall complex/ set of sewer walls / set of docks. 

When stacked together these are 5cm high, 20cm long and 15cm wide. I wanted some terrain that was modular, stackable, and tall enough to block line of site. Also that models could be pushed off. 

I cut and stuck the L and the E together to make a "C" shaped Dock. Greenstuff rollers (bricks, and Ancestral Recall) applied to 5mm foam stuck to the walls and floor. There will be a grate in the bottom of one wall. Painting will just be black or brown mod podge then dry brushing. I am going to try and add some vines/flock/green weathering. 

Am then going to make a series of arches out of the "O" letters. The middle of the O is the perfect size for a single based 28mm model. 

The "V" will either be a redoubt or turned into straight walls with some waste. 

20180626_045213.jpg

20180626_045221.jpg

20180626_045331.jpg

20180626_045334.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Wow, that is inspired!   Dare I say, I “LOVE” it?!  ::P:

I can’t wait to see them painted up. 

Now I’ll have to start browing my crafts store’s letter department! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you! I had been meaning to make a complex a bit like the Angkor Wat walls, so no parapet just a broad flat wall to walk on, and thought they could double up as jetties if I had steps down. 

I like using the foam but didn't think it would be robust enough to just stick the thin sections together. Am liking using the paper mache boxes as it takes all of the structural problems out of the picture. Other boxes out there include a volcano, hand/ring holder, a viking longship (a bit too big), and a mansion style house with gable roof. 

• Like 3

Have done the boring bit and have cut up and stuck the various bits back together. Next step rolling the foam and sticking that on. 

20180626_215429.jpg

• Like 8

So managed to spend some time yesterday evening applying the foam. I used the "Ancestral Recall" Greenstuff roller for some of the walls and all of the floors/roofs. Then mainly used "bricks" for the walls with some of the end pieces done with "cobblestones". 

Pictures show various configurations including using them as a set of docks, and including stacking the "C" and "L" shape blocks into a structure. 

The finished bits are 55mm high so come across as 10 to 12 foot high structures unless they are stacked up. 

Will use foam and card to create some grates and openings where I have not covered with foam. I am probably not going to do much filling as these are meant to be ruins. I will be using flock and tufts though. 

I now need to decide how to paint. I did some trials of a sandstone colour washed with brown ink but that didn't work. Will probably just go for grey with a Grey wash and keep the tone light. 

20180630_052932.jpg

20180630_053016.jpg

20180630_053037.jpg

20180630_052942.jpg

20180630_053315.jpg

• Like 9

With primer, base coat, and wash. I am rubbish at dry brushing so will try not to cover all this back up. 

20180630_124222.jpg

• Like 10

Hopefully this shows what I am trying to put together. I probably won't highlight these now, will just add green in some of the corners for moss and algae then add flock and tufts. 

20180630_212810.jpg

20180630_212817.jpg

20180630_212822.jpg

20180630_212832.jpg

20180630_213936.jpg

Edited by Brianuk
Missed photo
  • Like 18

Wow, it's amazing what you accomplished with those letters!  No one would guess the wharf's origin.   The sections look great.  And with the boats it's perfect.

You can make some money by saying to other gamers, "I bet you I can make the pieces of this wharf spell 'LOVE'!'" :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Have also been able to cover a third to a half of a table for about £12 to £15, which I don't think is bad. 

• Like 2

Now that I see it set up like that, I think it's perfect. Very nicely done!:winkthumbs:

• Thanks 1

just a brilliantly resourceful and imaginative idea - and you've done all the necessary demanding textural stuff so well, which makes all the difference to this sort of thing succeeding or otherwise...

fantastic.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      I haven't completed much since Reapercon, but I have been working on some 3d terrain my husband made for me.  All I know about the well is that it came from Thingverse. 

Doors from a KS I backed: 

Anther Thingaverse thing, and Reaper Gravestone of Protection. 

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      How Did this start?
      So My Son, (7 at the time), enjoyed playing Vault manager, and one holiday he asked me If I could build him a vault to play with. So we sat down and drew up some designs, and then I sat down and did up the files, furiously prototyped, cut and amended the designs. Eventually I ended up with a corridor set that set up on a 4' x 4' board. I put it up on the BPLASER store and people seemed to like it.
      Fast forward 12 months, and I decided to expand the Corridor set with another 15 rooms, furniture and inserts, and put it up on Kickstarter to see if I could expand sales.
      The Corridor Set is a: multi gaming system, fully modular set of laser cut/ etched MDF terrain, for use with 28-32mm table top games. Each unit piece is a multi part kit made from Australian manufactured MDF, with the approx strength of the same thickness of pine board, which should give years of use.
      The modularity of the corridor set allows you to make unique table layouts every time you use it. Every piece will connect to any other piece letting you decide how large, or how small to make your battlefield.
      Vault, Spaceship or Corridor set.
      I have tried, in the design of the set, to make it as functional as possible, so the Corridor Set can be used to represent the interior of a spaceship, a fallout shelter, An evil scientist's lair, a military bunker,.... the list goes on. Using the many add-ons to the base set, you can make almost any scenario that comes to mind.
      I hope you will find it an interesting set, and battleground, and give a multitude of ideas in its set-up.
      INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE. PLEASE READ.
      I am in Brisbane, Australia.
      That's 11500 km from Los Angeles, and 16500 km from London. Shipping via ship from Australia takes 2-3 months and costs about $95 AUD for the base set.
      Airmail takes 5-10 days and costs approx $120 AUD for the base set. I have chosen Airmail as the most efficient and reliable method for you getting your gear. All parcels will be provided with a tracking number.
      ADD ONS. Postage will be calculated at approx $5 per item set, or room set that you add to your main pledge. This will mean that international postage is at a discounted rate.
      Backers from all other countries (Rest of the world) may have to pay additional import duties and other applicable taxes to the concerned authorities, upon receipt of their goods, based on the import policies of their respective countries. The duties and tax rates vary from country to country and we are unable to help you determine that for your shipment. If you wish to learn about the duties and taxes applicable to your shipment, you may want to check with the customs and border protection authority of your country.
      What's in the set:
       The following are some pics of the addons to the set. I will update them with painted versions in the next few days
      DOOR SET WITH BULKHEAD HATCH END CAP WITH BULKHEAD HATCH DOOR SET STANDARD FORCE DOOR SECURITY SHIELD
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      Welcome to Undead Graveyard! 
      These graveyard elements add a thematic scenery to a simple board, with high quality resin pieces. In an easy and fun way you can turn any board into your private graveyard of the Undead Realms with our tombstones.
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models with an older style, half buried in the ground. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      UNDEAD AWAKENS
      Use the powers of your necromancer to give life to the undead who will awaken to destroy the souls of those who stand in your way.
      Available models:
      Fantastic static grass to decorate your scenery and miniatures: "Dead Grass" specially designed by Pablo el Marques and we show it to you in our campaign first.
      Each bag contains 2 grams of static grass.

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      main logo We're building a set of modular ruins for use with miniatures, ranging from a simple basic set of tumble-down walls to a whole cityscape of multiple levels, alleyways and rooftops.
      Together with Italian scenery sculptor The Lazy Forger we're hoping to improve on and add to our basic prototype set so that you can represent as much or as little as you need for your players in their overground adventures. Need a few brokendown walls? Rubble City will let you build many different setups from one kit. Want a gaming cupboard full of permanent structures for treasure-seeking adventurers? Rubble City does that too. Whether you're playing D&D, Frostgrave, Mordheim, Confrontation, or any miniatures-based wargame, these resin ruins will fit the bill.
      The Rubble City basic set contains 21 resin pieces scaled for 28-32mm models but easily repurposed with minor effort to suit smaller and larger scales. The basic set is enough to create roughly a 7" cube of ruins and the modular jigsaw design allows a wide variety of layouts just from one set.
      Rubble City basic set Combine two or more sets, however, and you can really start to build your imagination. Add pieces from the expansion sets and any additional Unlocks and the possibilities become almost endless ! Corners on the main pieces of Rubble City feature an interlocking jigsaw joint allowing multiple build options. Additionally, Rubble City is designed with post holes so you can add your own custom-made floors, and with door and window holes to allow whatever level of detailing you desire. If we can unlock them, stretch goals will add resin doors, windows, staircases, floors, ladders, roofs and more !
      Building with the basic set. Stacking walls and adding floors. We've made sure that there's loads of detail and texture crammed into each master model and our casting process preserves all of that detail faithfully. Cast in a stone-filled grey resin the castings are stonelike-enough in appearance to be used straight from the box but will obviously benefit from being painted. The following pictures show just how good the castings look with a simple paint process of undercoat - basecoat - colour wash - drybrush, and the addition of flock, static grass, and other model planting improves their appearance even more. 
      You can leave the resin pieces unassembled for maximum replayability - building a different layout every time - or assemble them more permanently with superglue ( and a little filler around finger joints ) before painting and leaving them based or unbased according to your preference.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548467345/drakenstone-magnetic-modular-castle-terrain?ref=discovery#

About
      My name is Andy, and I've been building miniature fantasy terrain since the 1980s. I have used my hand-made magnetic modular terrain for Dungeon Escape and Legendary Arena Battles at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild in Taylor, MI. My prototype pieces are on display at Acropolis Games in Adrian, and Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor. Many players have asked how they can take home magnetic terrain pieces to continue their adventure at home.
      I use Hirst Arts blocks (I am a fully licensed Hirst Arts dealer). The process is fun... but painfully slow, as each block must be cast individually, then glued together. To save time and effort, I've began making molds of ENTIRE ROOMS, so that they can be cast AS ONE SINGLE SOLID PIECE with no glueing. Instead of using delicate, breakable plaster, I have been casting using 57D Resin, with enormous success. Instead of building a room in several days, I pour the resin in the mold, and its finished in two minutes. I can cast the entire 29 piece dungeon in one hour. What took me weeks before, now takes only an afternoon.
      The 57D Resin is urethane rubber. It is slightly flexible, making it shatter-proof. The rooms can be dropped, and they will remain literally undamaged. No more chipping, cracking, or breaking! Say goodbye to handling delicate pieces. Since they come right out of the mold looking like granite, there is no paint to chip away or rub off. However, the material is paintable, should you choose to add your own dry-brush. Colors available are: Black Onyx, Black Granite, OrcSkin Gray, Gray Granite, White, White Granite, Frost, and Glow in the Dark.
      There is no glue involved in any of the pieces.
      The magnets are EMBEDDED directly inside the walls during the molding process, and cannot come loose, break off, or become lost. That makes our terrain suitable for kids of any age. Every terrain piece "snaps" together. 
      Players who already own Dwarven Forge sets will enjoy the fact that DrakenStone terrain meets up perfectly with their existing sets, making it the perfect compliment. The playing surface is exactly the same height, and the squares are exactly the same size as Dwarven Forge. 
      Please join us for a D&D 5E PVP one-shot game "Dungeon Escape", played Monday nights at 7pm, at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild, 12345 Telegraph Road, Taylor, MI. See the terrain being used in a real game. Or, watch us live on Facebook.
      Risks and challenges
      I have already created all the molds. I have already purchased the magnets in bulk. The last step is purchasing the 57D Resin. In pint-sized and gallon-sized units, the cost is very expansive... making the sale of sets to the public prohibitively expansive. However, in a 5-gallon, or even a 55-gallon drum, the cost of the resin is considerably less. Obtaining this bulk quantity of materials will keep the finished castle pieces at a low cost to customers. A 55-gallon drum of the 57D Resin costs $1,000.
      Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)