2018-06-28-stair.jpg

Although I seldom actually make use of it for one reason or another, I am quite fond of scatter terrain for use with miniatures in tabletop FRP games. Part of the reason is that it can be a bit expensive, and it seems a frivolous use of my gaming dollar to spend it on what is effectively doll's-house furniture.

However, now that I have a 3d printer and access to Thingiverse, I can make my own bits and bobs quite easily. This is one such bit or bob, a spiral stair marker.

If it was in an actual castle, it would most likely turn in the opposite direction, with the intent of impeding a climbing intruder's weapon hand, while allowing the defenders more freedom of attack. However, if you assume the standard and traditional D&D "dungeon" format, then the attackers might be more likely to be going downwards, so this orientation would be more correct.

Anyway.

I've included a Reaper 28mm figure for scale.

It was printed on my Ender 3 FDM printer in PLA at 0.12mm layer height, and took about 2½ hours.

• Like 15

I've a few spiral staircases thanks to Hirst Arts Castlemolds, but the incorporated statue really makes this piece "pop," I think.  :)

I've got tons of scatter terrain -- so much that it's often a problem for me that "I've got a piece for that!" but I'm hard-pressed to actually FIND it in timely fashion when someone else is running the game.  I suppose there's such a thing as overkill, but I've seen enough flat dungeon tiles where for the life of us we can't figure out whether those stairs are going UP or DOWN, and a 3D model (for the stairs going UP, anyway) would really help clarify that.  (The other major dungeon feature that I think calls for 3D representation on an otherwise 2D floorplan would be DOORS.  :)  And there's lots of fun that can be had with those.)

I really like the warm earthy tones of the stonework, by the way!

• Like 1

Well, what you're doing is essentially playing with tiny dolls, so let's not go trash talking dollhouse furniture. :)   That is a very nicely printed piece, and the paint job quite suits it.  I think I need to get my husband to print one or two to add to the terrain collection.  Is there a link to the file?  Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Inarah

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Well, what you're doing is essentially playing with tiny dolls, so let's not go trash talking dollhouse furniture. :)

Fair enough. I often infuriate my more pompous and anal wargaming friends by suggesting that we "have a game of war-dollies" :)

It's on Thingiverse. This is the one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2793224

• Haha 2

Thanks.  Yours looks much better by the way.