Basically I have seen a few people say stynlrez is a great primer, and you can shoot it right out of the bottle with NO thinning. I want to get a bottle and try it out (not just for mini's but also some vinyl kits I have), just wondering what needle size and PSI to shoot it, thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

This definitely sounds like a @knarthex question, given his love for the stuff ^_^

I'm curious as well, even if I won't be getting an airbrush until probably Q2 next year... 

13 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This definitely sounds like a @knarthex question, given his love for the stuff ^_^

I'm curious as well, even if I won't be getting an airbrush until probably Q2 next year... 

Badger Patriot 105's are pretty cheap, and nice airbrushes:) Hmm, maybe Reaper and Badger can make a custome 105 for reaper mini painters::D: what do you think @Reaper Ron

• Like 1

I got a bottle a couple of years ago I believe in a swag bag, anyways not bad but the one I have is green. Which lightened a dark blue I was painting. A second coat fixed it so it may have been me and not the primer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Badger Patriot 105's are pretty cheap, and nice airbrushes:) Hmm, maybe Reaper and Badger can make a custome 105 for reaper mini painters::D: what do you think @Reaper Ron

Such would be an awesome partnership! 

As for the Badger 105, that's the one I'm contemplating.  Downside will be an air compressor that's relatively quiet, since I live in a sixty year old apartment and would like to be able to use an airbrush almost anytime if need be (aka at the moment I'm looking at and contemplating Silentaire compressors, and they aren't cheap) 

58 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

As for the Badger 105, that's the one I'm contemplating.  Downside will be an air compressor that's relatively quiet, since I live in a sixty year old apartment and would like to be able to use an airbrush almost anytime if need be (aka at the moment I'm looking at and contemplating Silentaire compressors, and they aren't cheap) 

This is the model compressor I use, works great:

d3000r.jpg.0ad1b309fe56dc60797179b07164218c.jpg

I also hear California air tools is great, and a wee bit cheaper (I am looking into one for T-shirt airbrushing, as I need more PSI consistently)

230581007_calairtool.jpeg.b37bfd8c1ae2aedaa24fbd359b679dcf.jpeg

Oh, and I am in an apartment too, and my family hardly knows when I am airbrushing in the kitchen and they are in their bedrooms asleep (I have a airbrush station in kitchen with one of those spray booths and vent out the back door)

Edited by Ratmaster2000
  • Like 1

I use it it for priming with a Badger Patriot 105 with the PSI set to 30. I also use their compressor which is pretty quiet. I think the fan on my paint booth is louder than the compressor.

• Like 1

I've used it and had no problems at all. It goes on easily and on bones stays on very well. I haven't tried it on anything other than bones yet. I've used it through a super fine needle on a badger 105 extreme without trouble.

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Probably a bit louder than what you want, but I went with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 2-Gallon from Lowes for a bit over $100. It's about as loud as an older fridge. If the dishwasher is running you can't really hear it over the dishwasher a room away, but you wouldn't want it on at night in an apartment building. On the other hand it has a 2 gallon tank, can fill tires, and power a brad gun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmorse said:

I've used it and had no problems at all. It goes on easily and on bones stays on very well. I haven't tried it on anything other than bones yet. I've used it through a super fine needle on a badger 105 extreme without trouble.

Probably a bit louder than what you want, but I went with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 2-Gallon from Lowes for a bit over $100. It's about as loud as an older fridge. If the dishwasher is running you can't really hear it over the dishwasher a room away, but you wouldn't want it on at night in an apartment building. On the other hand it has a 2 gallon tank, can fill tires, and power a brad gun. 

That's what I love about my paasche D3000R, I can airbrush at 1AM (yes, I have done it), and no one would know:) Paid $140.00 for mine.

• Like 1

I got some Stynlrez primer with the Patriot airbrush starter kit I bought at last year's ReaperCon (Badger offers a VERY nice bargain for ReaperCon attendees, making it well worth purchasing it there).  I've used the primers on all kinds of materials, and it does in fact shoot through the airbrush just great without thinning. I've been very pleased with it. 

On another note -- The compressor Badger included with the starter kit is also quite nice and not that loud. My painting area is on the 3rd floor loft of our not-huge house, and my wife doesn't notice it at all when she's downstairs. 

21 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

This is the model compressor I use, works great:

d3000r.jpg.0ad1b309fe56dc60797179b07164218c.jpg

I also hear California air tools is great, and a wee bit cheaper (I am looking into one for T-shirt airbrushing, as I need more PSI consistently)

230581007_calairtool.jpeg.b37bfd8c1ae2aedaa24fbd359b679dcf.jpeg

Oh, and I am in an apartment too, and my family hardly knows when I am airbrushing in the kitchen and they are in their bedrooms asleep (I have a airbrush station in kitchen with one of those spray booths and vent out the back door)

Thanks for the suggestions!  Looks like a few local places carry them (both the Paasche D300R ($250 CAD) and Badger's Aspire Pro ($290 CAD)), so I'll definitely have to check them out.  How's the vibration on them, minimal? ^_^  Definitely glad to hear they're quiet, and it looks like they're rated around 47-49dB, which is quiet enough for what I want to be able to do ^_^

15 hours ago, cmorse said:

Thanks for the recommendation!  Seems Lowes Canada doesn't carry them, but I'll look further into that one as well ^_^

14 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

That's what I love about my paasche D3000R, I can airbrush at 1AM (yes, I have done it), and no one would know:) Paid $140.00 for mine.

Ooooooh, love the sound of that...

The vibration is not too bad, and I have mine on the table. If you don't mind having to get under a table to turn it on, you could put it on the floor on a small piece of carpet and there probably would be no vibration.

OOH, and FYI, if you get a compressor with a tank (highly recommended by the way), make sure no matter how much you airbrush, that when you are done, you open up the drain valve at the bottom of the tank, otherwise it will rust and become useless.

Edited by Ratmaster2000
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

The vibration is not too bad, and I have mine on the table. If you don't mind having to get under a table to turn it on, you could put it on the floor on a small piece of carpet and there probably would be no vibration.

OOH, and FYI, if you get a compressor with a tank (highly recommended by the way), make sure no matter how much you airbrush, that when you are done, you open up the drain valve at the bottom of the tank, otherwise it will rust and become useless.

Definitely good to know.  I'll look into some sort of small pad to put it on then.  I don't mind vibration, but it can bug hubby at times, and we also don't want to inadvertently vibrate the downstairs neighbour's ceiling ^_^

And yes, definitely a great tip about draining it every time! 

Well just found a 4oz bottle on amazon for a good price (it's grey, but hopefully that isn't too bad. I usually like using black), and should be here Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

• Like 1

I am a bit of a fanboy of the product, but can attest to its excellence.   I have used it on metal, bones, resin and mdf, even some 3d printed plastic stuff.  It has worked very well on all of them. 

The name is actually a sort of acronym.  Stynylrez = styrofoam, nylon and resin.  I have had the pleasure of talking to Ken (owner of Badger)  at a few conventions.  He said their goal was to have one primer work on any medium people use their brushes/paints on.  

One of its characteristics is its self leveling, so even if applied too thick, it doesn't obscure details.  That also means it shrinks as it cures some ( not as much as gesso )

The bottle recommends at least a .5 mm nozzle.  It is acrylic based, so it can and will dry in the cup if not covered.   This can cause drytip and clogs.  The plastisizers in it that give it such good tooth can work fast.  Only saying this as a warning, as I had a couple bottles go to crap since I didnt keep the lid on as well as I should have.  I had a buddy use it through a .4 undiluted, but it did cause him to so some maintenance sooner that  usual.  I would not recommend the white, because it has the normal issues with large pigment particles that all whites have. 

To your actual question, I spray it out of a patriot 105 with a .5 needle around 30 psi.  I also spray it out of a syphon feed airbrush with a .7 needle for very large projects at 15 to 20 psi.  If you are spraying the white, you will need to up the psi slightly.  Your humidity level can affect this as well, since it affects how stuff atomizes.

I apologize for over answering lol.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1