Crowley

Getting To Know You July

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sunday, July 1st:  We're halfway through the year! If you had a goal for the year, are you still on track? If not, what's your next step?

Keep new job.

Success! Now I just have to keep it until furlough and then get called back. Then and only then will I have passed probation.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sunday, July 1st:  We're halfway through the year! If you had a goal for the year, are you still on track? If not, what's your next step?

Had two main goals this year:

1: move -- Accomplished!

2: paint more minis than last year.

On the second one I am a bit behind schedule but in a good place now that I have moved to be able to catch up.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well, the pumpkins seem to be doing ok thus far. It's kind of hard to gauge as they haven't gone into vine mode yet. 

Alexandra, the Overly Talkative Night Blooming Jasmine is also doing well. 

I'm slowly making progress with the Coffee Dwarves, they might by done by New Years.

• Like 6

Question for Monday, July 2nd:  Do you know the story of Mrs. Malaprop? Do you use or accidentally employ malaprops? Do you insist on the more formal spelling

*Thanks to @TGP for today's question!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, July 2nd:  Do you know the story of Mrs. Malaprop? Do you use or accidentally employ malaprops? Do you insist on the more formal spelling

I have a number of friends who are of the aged hippy tendency. Semi-accidentally I usually refer to their fertility rites as futility rites.

I wouldn't insist on the formal use of malapropism, but why be lazy?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Crowley said:

How can it be half way thru the year!? Just last week it was February and I had plenty of time!

I’ve got a few goals. 

Paint minis = going well!

save money = not so well :( 

close some big cases = going pretty well! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Well, I know the story now :rolleyes: 

None come to mind, right now, though I'm sure I have.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Wasn't aware of the story, but I occasionally use malapropisms when it would be finny. I have a fiend who uses them to an alarming decree. :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 7/1/2018 at 5:41 AM, Crowley said:

Fail. Fail. And... fail. 

Haven't found a new job, but oddly, I've been moving up in position with more pay and somewhat similar responsibilities. So not entirely a fail. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever meant to be an engineer and how I would fare nowadays against new graduates and experienced engineers.

Wanted to paint more miniatures. I've so far cleaned and primed bit have not applied paint. I tried a few times but became distratced through work or personal family issues... bleh

Move out and find myself a home. I keep returning to my parents cause the Bay Area sucks for living on your own. I'm starting to wonder if I'll find my forever home or if I'm going to be living with my parents still. =/

On the plus side I have lost several pounds since I have stopped going to Kentucky for business trips. XD

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

No. Egregiously so. In formal settings, yes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Haven't had a morning coffee yet so I've no idea what you're going on about, but after re-reading that article a few times...  I probably do it all the time with speech without even realizing it.

• Like 4

On 7/1/2018 at 8:41 AM, Crowley said:

Goals:

• Find job. Check!
  • Move to job. 50% complete (out of old apartment, waiting for truck to arrive at new apartment).
  • Paint. Work in progress...ish

Pretty generic goals. I'm omitting tons of details, but for this forum, it'll do.

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

I do, but most often they're borrowed anglicisms when I speak in French. Or vice-versa when I speak in English.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

image.png.86a82d706640d93df6026a3c7cea9138.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 7/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, Inarah said:

I follow all the advice you'll find on the web: dark, cool bedroom,  no electronics, breathing, etc.  New mattress, support pillows, white noise, etc.  Some herbal teas now and then, I find valerian does it for me... sometimes.  Sticking to a routine bedtime and wake time.  That may be hard for you with a baby or toddler.  This last year or so I have been working to identify the reasons I'm not sleeping and talking to my doctor.  I found out sleep anxiety is a real thing, getting so anxious about not being able to sleep that I can't sleep, and now I have a prescription for that. It does help, not just because it's a sedative, but because I do sleep and feel better (and I can stay in a routine), and I can see that I am able to sleep and that helps my anxiety. Hoping that one day I'll be able to do it without pills.  

If I wake up in the night or can't get settled I get back up and go get some water, or sit quietly and do some breathing, or pet the cats and try to calm down.  Flopping around in bed worrying about it just makes it worse.  Just hit restart, and do the bedtime power down routine again.   I cannot just shut the lights off and go to sleep.  It takes me an hour or more to wind down and be ready to sleep.  Herbal tea helps. I've been journaling like mad in the evenings, trying to empty my head of disturbing thoughts.  Do what works for you. Hot bath, soft music, meditative time. It can be hard to bring a body to stillness and rest. 

Likewise, if you feel tired and crappy now, find your energy triggers. Sunlight, fresh air, caffeine, energetic music, etc.  A 10-20 min power nap can help, but longer than that messes with your sleep clock. 

I rarely have an issue these days.  The regular exercise, healthy diet, and regular bedtime I've been dooing these past 4 months have really helped.  That said, when I do get hit with the insomnia stick, I go sculpt chainmail, or fur, or something of that nature; repetitive and boring.  Calms me way down and usually I start falling asleep at the bench.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

e=mc2

Only with whipped cream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6