Crowley

Getting To Know You July

On 7/1/2018 at 7:41 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Sunday, July 1st:  We're halfway through the year! If you had a goal for the year, are you still on track? If not, what's your next step?

Yup.

• Like 4

Question for Sunday, July 1st:  We're halfway through the year! If you had a goal for the year, are you still on track? If not, what's your next step?

Boy howdy. No....

On 7/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, CashWiley said:

My goal this year has been narrowing my art focus to portraiture. [snip!]

It has been so, so great to watch your progress! :wub: Even though I've been at an art blank for months, I still enjoy your posts! 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:42 AM, Inarah said:

My 2018 goals were to heal, regain my strength through exercise, and learn to sleep. [snip!]

Hugs, friend. It's good to hear that you're getting better! That is what my 2018 turned into. 

Uhhh this would have better formatting but my arrow keys and enter key just stopped working. Okay. My goals this year were to get some savings for medical emergencies (nope), pay to learn about current physical issues (nope), learn more art (nope), and move to our own place again (Yes! TOMORROW, bless the Pale Tree). Instead I've fallen into a long, ridiculous spiral and had to change my goal to just surviving. So that's what I'm doing now. We have just enough savings for me to see a therapist for a couple months. We almost didn't do ReaperCon this year but zero friend time would break my brain. I miss you all! So we used a credit card. :ph34r: So far I've learned about things like PTSD, dissociation, being nice to myself, and working to solve problem situations proactively instead of reactively.... I've been getting really frustrated that I wasn't on track for anything, but I've been trying to convince myself that I'd rather lose one year of art instead of all the years. So. 2018 is currently year of the brain! I try not to talk about my personal issues, but I do let it out sometimes, partly for me to just breathe for a moment, and partly so that others fighting mental and physical issues know they aren't alone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

i am not very goal oriented...

[...insert a copy of pcktlnt’s answer here...]

This next was my fault. I looked up the counterpart to Mondegreen and was surprised to learn both were named after fictitious women:

On 7/2/2018 at 5:30 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, July 2nd:  Do you know the story of Mrs. Malaprop? Do you use or accidentally employ malaprops? Do you insist on the more formal spelling?

I was going to use it as the July 1 (June 31st :rolleyes: ) Question in case David didn’t want to start  until Monday. My answers are:

I didn't.

I don’t but I might. 

Right this minute choose-using “malapropism” seems like an instance of passing up the chance to use a short word where a longer word will do. 

I was unaware of the shorter word until I looked up the history of the longer one.

Edited by TGP
removed malapropriate random characters
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question for July 3rd: Any fun stories involving fireworks? If so, share! 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Not exactly a fun story, more a story about why I stopped playing with fireworks.

I think it was somewhere around 1994 or 1995.

It was New Years Eve and a bunch of my friends and me went out at midnight to set off fireworks.

I was holding a plastic bag in my right hand filled with firecrackers ( the big ones)

So after setting a few off,  these rubbed against each other and suddenly there was this loud BANG!

I looked at my right hand and I was only holding the handle of the bag. the rest had exploded!

Lucky for me the explosion had gone downwards, and since I was also wearing a sturdy leather jacket I had no burns at all.

If the explosion had gone upwards I would now be typing this with my left hand since the right one could have been gone..

I never touched fireworks again after that.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 8

43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Stupidly, my brother and I used to "battle" with fireworks. The name escapes me right now. Not bottle rockets but similar. Inch wide tube about 12 inches long and it would shoot 5-6 streaks of fire works out of it? You were supposed to put them in a tube on the ground but we would hold them and shoot them at one another. We did this every summer and it was incredibly dumb. I got burned a lot. One year his pants caught on fire because there was one charge left but he thought it was empty and pointed it down near his feet. It turned out fine and at the time was hilarious but now as an adult, I'm just like, "where were my parents!"

Also @Glitterwolf YIKES!!!!! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Yup.

We all like to play, but basically we're playing with gunpowder.

I like to watch fireworks, beautiful.

But I won't be the one setting it off anymore.

I also remember a New Years Eve where some friends ( we were all around 25/30 yrs old!) got drunk and started out fine, but ended up burning a lot of stuff we could find, throwing alcohol on burning fireworks etc.

Itś a miracle nothing really bad happened.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I got **nuthin’

...unless model rocketry counts.

Edited by TGP
**Never have I lit any kind of a firework, not so much as a firecracker.
  • Like 6

My brother made a huge bonfire out of dead trees one year for his barbecue, we all got to watch the fire. Then he had the bright idea of tossing one of the fireworks into it. Which was interesting until it started shooting TOWARD the rest of us. We all relocated to a safer distance in a hurry.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I have only set off fireworks personally a few times, and they were fairly tame, with no mishaps.

I've been to a number of large-scale professional displays, but those also went largely without incident (to the best of my knowledge).

Sorry, I'm boring today.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

There was one time I was in FL for spring break with my band's bassist. We were staying at one of those 2-story horseshoe-shaped places with a pool in the center. I had spent the bulk of our money on a massive box of fireworks on the trip south, good tube projectile stuff. I kept climbing up on the roof, lighting a couple off, and jumping off the roof into the pool. 

Stuff like that was every day kinda stuff for me back then. It's why I'm happily boring now, I'm just happy to be alive. I still get the urge all the time, but just chuckle to myself. The old lady will side-eye me and say "you're thinking of [jumping off that, etc], aren't you?" :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

The Dad loves fireworks, but he likes to watch them rather than set them off. One year he purchased a gigantic quantity that my cousin and I were lighting off, and one little spinner thing after being lit spun up just about even with our heads as we were retreating and then exploded. Good times. 

• Like 6

The little ones that go pop or bang have mostly lost their appeal, but the neighbor kids will be setting off plenty tonight. 

Several years ago we went out of town to a fireworks show.  We parked our rental car in one field and started walking to the next field to set up our chairs.  Heard people behind us yelling about a car on fire.  Turned around and it was coming form the area we'd left the car.  Started running back through the crowd.  OMG! It was our car!  Pushed closer through the crowd, which at this point was not moving, and discovered it was not our car, but the one next to it!  Massive relief.  Fire truck showed up pretty quick, I guess they were on standby. 

Got our folding chairs set up and were enjoying the show when the elfhats 15 feet behind us started shooting off bottle rockets or something.  The first few went sideways but then they started landing near us, one or two actually shot under our chairs.  I don't think they were doing it on purpose, just being stupid, but we did have to ask them to stop. Fortunately we only had to ask the once.  Other than that it was a nice evening. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I didn't even hear the fireworks go off this year, was so weird... Probably because I had headphones on but still... 

As for fireworks stories?  Nope, don't have any, other than I absolutely love the pyro at airshows...   Doubly so when they get a non combat equipped plane to do a flyby and then kraabrooooooiooomm! Gouts of flame! 

Edit: my uncle does night pyro airshows, and was one of the first to do such - Ken Fowler does at least one a year, but they're pricy and dangerous to do even if everything goes alright (I sat in on one of the safety briefings, wow that's... A long safety) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

No, I could only ever afford those little snapper things and sparklers, so I never had the chance to do stupid stuff.

• Like 5