2018-07-02-WoodenDoor01Painted.jpg

Useful markers for tabletop FRPG games with miniatures, possibly more so than any other dungeonish terrain pieces, are doors.

I made this one in Blender and printed it on my Ender 3 at 0.12mm layer height in grey PLA. I've seen quite a few models with hinged, openable doors, but I find them to be of limited usefulness in gaming, and they're always a lot fiddlier to print and assemble than a simple one-piece marker that does essentially the same job. I've yet to come across a printable model that hinges well. A possible compromise might be a two-piece model of door and frame that slots into the hinges, so that the door could be glued either open or closed, or possibly that has very over-sized hinges that could be drilled and pinned.... experimentation awaits.

I've uploaded the .STL file to Thingiverse, for free download for anyone who wants to print as many of them as they want. I realised after I started printing it that I'd forgotten to include the latch on the "inside" side of the door — I've updated the .STL since then.

Here's the model above in its raw printed PLA plastic:

2018-06-30-door-001.jpg

• Like 14

Those are some really handsome doors!  :)  I would've personally preferred that the 3D model would have some block textures on the cutaway edges, but you've done a really nice job at stippling or spackling (or whatever method you used?) the paint on the edges so it still conveys a stony look, without coming across as especially smooth.  The door itself looks especially nice, with the hinges, braces, studs, a suggestion of wood grain, and of course the handle. 

For future prints/casts, couldn't the door use a handle on the reverse side?  Otherwise, the handle appears to exist only for pulling the door shut from the one side; anyone on the other side of the door is going to have to fumble with one of those horizontal boards to pull it open.  Also, since this is being 3D printed, and is not just engraved MDF or foam board, I think the model might "pop" more if you made the flagstone and the upper arch stones protrude a little more from the wall, for greater relief.  I should note that this is just a picky thought while I'm looking at it -- as-is, it's already a wonderful and very practical piece.  :)

• Like 2

Here's another, based on the same wall section model: a metal door this time.

2018-07-04-FitzMetalDoor-001.jpg

2018-07-04-FitzMetalDoor-002.jpg

These are a couple I just finished printing; I haven't got around to painting them yet.

2018-07-03-FitzArch01.jpg

2018-07-03-FitzCellDoor01.jpg

Edited by MojoBob
  • Like 8

Ooo!  The barred door is especially nice!  I don't see that sort of thing very often.  (For one thing, it'd be a lot harder to cast in resin or Hydrocal, which is where I usually end up with my dungeon doors.)  I look forward to seeing how that looks once painted up.  And I love the rust-in-the-recesses look on that iron door.  :)

I agree. The other doors are splendid looking, but things I could make myself. However, the barred/grated door is a BEAUTY, & something not easily made from scratch.