Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Davis

03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard

I absolutely love the way you lit this guy. You went so dark with some of the shadows. Did you use some sort of blue to shade his green robe? Man, I'd love to pull off lighting like that once in my life. You also nailed that intense look to his eyes without making them look surprised or wild. Just the right amount of white. That's so tricky to pull off.

• Thanks 1

**** This is the PAINT POLICE!!!***

*** You're coming with us, nobody paints that well! Step into the vehicle, mind the head "bonk"  oops sorry ***

*** We will find out how you did this!***

Amazing! Just amazing!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Marvoluous work.  The eyes are incredibly well done as is the lighting.  You did a great job with both the lighting and shadows, something I'm always forgetting.  I wish I could do something that well.

Great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 2:27 AM, CorallineAlgae said:

You went so dark with some of the shadows. Did you use some sort of blue to shade his green robe?

Thanks very much for your nice comments.  There is a WIP here:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81459-03157-garwin-greywand-wizard/&tab=comments#comment-1727678

I am experimenting with preshading.  I lay out where all the deepest shadows will be in relation to the light source first with dark brown dark blue and some nightshade purple. Then I use light browns and blend and highlight right up to linen white before putting any colours on the figure.  Then I apply thin base coats which gives me good foundation of very dark shadows and bright highlights to start working from.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is some fantastic work well done indeed the robe is outstanding

• Thanks 1

I love this and am really curious about your pre-shading technique.  I've done that on scale models before, with an airbrush, but never on a mini.  Can you elaborate on how thin the paint for the robe was when going over the preshading?  About how many coats did it take, for reference?

Also....I can't unsee this!

zoolander-will1.jpg.6e84a089fc4ce9539e399110c1c29971.jpgface.jpg.bb8a0bd8236e1acd0713850940d66265-1.jpg.0ceb6c70d018f9f4a4ab241c79619a3c.jpg

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, magicalgenie said:

I love this and am really curious about your pre-shading technique.  I've done that on scale models before, with an airbrush, but never on a mini.  Can you elaborate on how thin the paint for the robe was when going over the preshading?  About how many coats did it take, for reference?

There are a few WIP photos here:  Garwin WIP

After doing all the preshading, or undershading, or underpainting, or whatever the right term is, I do three layers of blending of all the colours on top of that.  This is based on advice I got from watching one of Vince Venturella's Hobby Cheating videos on blending fleshtones.  The layers are very thin.  So, I did a thin layer of the mid tone blue, then a series of three progressively darker shade colours, followed by a series of three progressively brighter highlights.  Then I painted over everything again with a very thin layer of the mid tone blue to tie it all together and improve the blending.  Then I did it all over again with the same three shades and the same three highlights, only with even thinner paint and being careful to blend smoothly and not lift up any partially dried layers of paint by accident (something I have frequently been prone to do by mistake).  Then I did another thin layer of the mid tone.  Then I did a third layer of all the same shades and highlights.  Some areas this was relatively effective, like the robe/cloak and the staff.  Other areas, like the face and the scroll, it didn't work out quite as smoothly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

look loke an interesting approach, like blocking in value on a 2d sketch.., I may try ot on my upcoming figure to paint :)

• Like 1

Beautiful work!  I love the subtle colors and shadings, as well as the OSL.  I will have to go back and find your WIP thread for him.

• Thanks 1