spitfire23bc

Looking for a lean, bare-chested human male...

... miniature.

I'm looking for a mini for a character I've just started playing in a campaign. I've not found anything that quite fits on Reaper's figure finder, but I'm hoping someone else may make one that's spot on, or at least close enough to mod...

• Young adult male human
  • Short or no hair
  • Wearing trousers/boots, but nothing on his torso (the character has leather wrist-wrappings, but I'm happy to greenstuff those if need be)
  • Lean and wiry, not overly muscular (Strength is one of his dump stats)
  • Wielding a scimitar and/or a spell effect (though I'm happy to do simple weapon swaps myself)

Any suggestions? 

Oh interesting, I hadn't realised it came with a choice of heads. That definitely makes it the best option I've seen so far. I think I'd rather he were holding the sword one-handed, but I might have to compromise on that. And I'd probably try to find something to do a foot swap with - I don't think my sculpting skills are quite up to boots!

If you don't mind the Bond Slave being left-handed, you can cut off the blade of the weapon and then separate the hands, bending the right arm downward at the shoulder so the bicep is closer to his torso. It'll leave the right arm in a pretty natural position for somebody taking a big swing with a weapon in their left hand...Put a weapon in his left hand (which would still conveniently be holding most of a sword hilt).

For the feet, basic boots are really simple... You just build the boots one section at a time and let each step cure before proceeding. Depending on what sort of clothing your figure has on its legs, you can often get away with leaving the shins just as they are, and simply adding on the tops and bottoms of the boots.

For the Bond Slave, start with the feet, adding putty to the sides and top to round off the toes and extend the sides of the feet straight down to the ground. Don't use too much - it's easier to add more than to take it off. Wait at least half an hour or so and then score in a line along the bottom to represent the soles. Depending on whether the boots are soft or hard, you can press some additional shape into them at this point.

For the tops of the boots, if you want them turned over at the top like pirate boots, you can use the already-existing detail of the wraps around the bottom of his pants as the base. Add putty to cover over the details on the sides of them, let it cure, and then roll out a line of putty for each boot and place it along the bottom edge, blending it into the stuff already there. Use your sculpting tool to pull out the bottom edge a bit to give it some flare.

If you want thicker boots, you can use a little bit of putty to build up around the ankles and lower part of the leg, maybe sculpt in a couple of dents or wrinkles.

If you go with Chan Li, if you look at his left leg, the detail of his pants makes the natural place to sculpt the tops of his boots just under the horizontal wrinkle below his knee (about halfway up his calf). You'll probably want to file off any details of his pants below that line in order to give yourself a cleaner space to work with instead of trying to sculpt over it to try to disguise that detail as part of the boots.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Thanks 1

Hasslefree has a new figure that might meet your needs, but the version you'd want comes nude and you'd have to put pants on him. His name is Matthias.

(Many thanks, Mad Jack, for the reminder. I wasn't even thinking)

https://www.hfminis.co.uk/img_cms/product_images/08 Matthias composite.jpg

Edited by Fnordlover
Removal of commercial link
  • Like 1

Fantasy boots don't need much detail anyway, do they? Like a cuffed boot is just a simple foot cover and then a wide brim...

@Fnordlover...

Commercial links are against the forum rules, so you might want to edit your post to link to just the image of the figure...

• Like 2

Thanks all, that's all really helpful stuff! Seems like the bondslave might be the way to go, with Chan Li a close second. Fnordlover, that Matthias figure looks lovely, but definitely a little flamboyant for the character!

Hmm, maybe Chan Li with the bondslave's bald head... I like the fact that the torso is more visible - my character's body is covered with tattoos (basically his spellbook), so I think that might work better than the bondslave.

Thanks Mad Jack for the boot-sculpting advice - I'll definitely be referring to it when I make my attempt!

On 7/4/2018 at 5:45 PM, Fnordlover said:

Hasslefree has a new figure that might meet your needs, but the version you'd want comes nude and you'd have to put pants on him. His name is Matthias.

(Many thanks, Mad Jack, for the reminder. I wasn't even thinking)

https://www.hfminis.co.uk/img_cms/product_images/08 Matthias composite.jpg

Hasslefree also have this one if you don't desperately need him to be topless. Quite a few of Hasslefree's martial artist's range might suit your needs as well.

1630160621_hfmerc.jpg.de4aac101f34cf8bdec6cba152756fd0.jpg

They also have this elf who almost fits your description of a lean body type.1570164945_HFE100Arinielcomposite.thumb.jpg.3fe6fbf70444045e8b6428c28562e71d.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/10/2018 at 11:57 AM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Hasslefree also have this one if you don't desperately need him to be topless. Quite a few of Hasslefree's martial artist's range might suit your needs as well.

1630160621_hfmerc.jpg.de4aac101f34cf8bdec6cba152756fd0.jpg

They also have this elf who almost fits your description of a lean body type.1570164945_HFE100Arinielcomposite.thumb.jpg.3fe6fbf70444045e8b6428c28562e71d.jpg

That looks just like a character from the web comic Alfie!

Plus, that is a really stripperiffic male figure.

I approve! ::P:

• Like 4

Why does it not surprise me to find that she reads "Alfie?"

• Haha 2

On 8/28/2018 at 7:51 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Why does it not surprise me to find that she reads "Alfie?"

And she's right - it does look like a character from Alfie. ::P: (The elf guard... sans the broken nose.)

She's gotten a lot further in the archives than I have - I get only so far and my ears turn bright red. :lol:

The Auld Grump

• Haha 1