Srashki

Looking for a bit of help on paint selection for female human warrior project

I have a clear idea of my color scheme, but I just need some input on what variety of paints to actually purchase and use for it.

This is the mini I'm going to paint, shown with another person's paint job for clarity:

02551: Monique Denoir

Reaper-Metal-Models-Reaper-Miniatures-MoHTB12dXJHXXXXXaFXpXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

I got some good references and paints for the sword blade and (red) armor, but I need some help narrowing down everything else to ~2-3 colors each (not including black and white) to limit the overall number of paints I'll have to buy.

Hair might be a bit harder. I have a pretty specific look I want to achieve. Basically more 'yellow' than people tend to advise for actual blonde hair, but still trying to make it look good/convincing at the same time.

heather.jpgclassy-blonde-hair-unique-brassy-to-clas

glueless-silk-top-golden-blonde-full-lac

incredible-blonde-hair-by-kaoru-on-pict-

More towards the last one I think (maybe 'slightly' more orange in there somewhere). Something with some real richness and some intensity, but not too orange. And dynamicism/strong highlights too.

I'm thinking maybe the more yellow part focused more in one area, which is catching the sun shinily. Something multi-tonal that perhaps bridges the yellowness with more natural tones, I don't know. For that I could use more paint colors if necessary.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for (fair but 'of a living person') skin, leather straps, lighter/cooler gold trim for white cloth, basic NMM scheme for steel shield front and back (not very shiny). Again, leaning towards conservative with number of paints (while not being overly bland/simplistic). Bonus points for ones that serve multiple purposes effectively.

Approximate limiters for paint selection:

- Vallejo as much as possible

- Serving multiple purposes is great as long as it's not too forced

Gold hilt: ~3 paints

Gold trim on cloth: ~2 paints

Hair: ~3-5 paints

Face/skin: ~3 paints

Cloth: ~3 paints

Leather: ~2-3 paints

Shield steel (front and back): ~3 paints

Not counting black/white

(Already established colors: Citadel Mephiston Red, Citadel Evil Suns Scarlet, Citadel Temple Guard Blue, Reaper Cloudy Grey, Reaper Rainy Grey) 

And here's my goals, for the record at least. Very ambitious, especially in comparison to the level of quality my chosen miniature, but it drives me. They both have associated tutorials.

Armor/Hilt

https://garethnicholasblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/blood-angels-primaris-lieutenant/ (Tutorial has a ~$5 fee to actually download and view)

final1.jpg

Blade

https://garethnicholasblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/painting-tutorial-part-3-finishing-up/

darksword1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Srashki
  • Like 1

IMO for your gold nmm the two most important colors to get are intense brown and palomino gold. If you add a touch of black to the intense brown you will get the color of muddy brown so you can eliminate that color to save and I would replace buckskin pale (highlight for the gold nmm/hilt) for the sun yellow which you can than also use on the hair. The clear red is mainly used as a glaze bringing out red tones and not really a highlight color so I would replace with HD brilliant red for the highlights. Yellow bone you don't need as long as your getting the creamy ivory. Rosy shadow is basically the same color as VMC beige red so I would replace so your not ordering from all over the place. To also save I'd just get the clotted red and scratch the deep red, by adding a little black to it will give about the same color just slightly leaning towards a little on the purple side but for a face or shadow for red that's a good thing. And lastly I would eliminate the cloudy grey (as long as you have rainy grey, can always darken it) and replace it with blue liner for your sword nmm (steel) color. The only other thing I can thing of right now is VMC basic skintone is really a peach color so I would replace with getting an orange and just adding white you'll get more mileage/use with the orange. Hope I helped a little.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kazmania7 said:

IMO for your gold nmm the two most important colors to get are intense brown and palomino gold. If you add a touch of black to the intense brown you will get the color of muddy brown so you can eliminate that color to save and I would replace buckskin pale (highlight for the gold nmm/hilt) for the sun yellow which you can than also use on the hair. The clear red is mainly used as a glaze bringing out red tones and not really a highlight color so I would replace with HD brilliant red for the highlights. Yellow bone you don't need as long as your getting the creamy ivory. Rosy shadow is basically the same color as VMC beige red so I would replace so your not ordering from all over the place. To also save I'd just get the clotted red and scratch the deep red, by adding a little black to it will give about the same color just slightly leaning towards a little on the purple side but for a face or shadow for red that's a good thing. And lastly I would eliminate the cloudy grey (as long as you have rainy grey, can always darken it) and replace it with blue liner for your sword nmm (steel) color. The only other thing I can thing of right now is VMC basic skintone is really a peach color so I would replace with getting an orange and just adding white you'll get more mileage/use with the orange. Hope I helped a little.

That helped a lot at first, but then two things changed for me. First, I found a source for Vallejo paints that's cheaper than anything else (Canada-based website), and second, I noticed that the color conversions were a LOT rougher than I'd assumed. In light of that, I'm now keeping the original tutorial paint selections for the armor and blade for maximum simplicity/reliability, and looking for completely new, self-contained palettes for each other piece, leaning towards Vallejo as much as possible. Multiple usage is still great, but it just seems like it might be important for a combination to be conceived as a whole. (And I feel a tad leery of relying overly much on mixing for distinct colors, seems like things could go awry/get complicated too easily)

Gold hilt: ~3 paints

(Lighter) Gold trim on cloth: ~2 paints

Hair: ~3-5 paints

Face/skin: ~3 paints

Cloth: ~3 paints

Leather: ~2-3 paints

Shield steel (front and back): ~3 paints

Not counting black/white

(Already established colors: Citadel Mephiston Red, Citadel Evil Suns Scarlet, Citadel Temple Guard Blue, Reaper Cloudy Grey, Reaper Rainy Grey)

Again, drawing as much on Vallejo as possible, assuming such is allowed on these forums.

Edited by Srashki