Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Wait, they aren't allowing Imperial Guard (sorry, Astra whatever :p) to group up?  That's like the most guardsman thing ever, just smash a bunch of different below strength squads together and boom, instant walking flashlight brigade.. 

 

Edit: that terrain really is gorgeous though.. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, thanks, GW, for saving me. I had given in and gone to preorder Kill Team. Then I found out it’s $250 local. Wallet saved again! Thank goodness they came up with an “reduced entry cost product”  to bring me to the 40k universe.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wait, they aren't allowing Imperial Guard (sorry, Astra whatever :p) to group up?  That's like the most guardsman thing ever, just smash a bunch of different below strength squads together and boom, instant walking flashlight brigade.. 

 

Edit: that terrain really is gorgeous though.. 

 

No no, it's that you can't have marines with guardsmen (or other Imperial factions) in the same team.

 

1 hour ago, Lostbug said:

Well, thanks, GW, for saving me. I had given in and gone to preorder Kill Team. Then I found out it’s $250 local. Wallet saved again! Thank goodness they came up with an “reduced entry cost product”  to bring me to the 40k universe.

 

 

Yeah, I was really hoping for something closer to Necromunda in price, especially with them reusing existing kits for the squads.

Ahh well, the rulebook is an acceptable price, so I'll get that. Don't need the rest of the box contents anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lostbug said:

Well, thanks, GW, for saving me. I had given in and gone to preorder Kill Team. Then I found out it’s $250 local. Wallet saved again! Thank goodness they came up with an “reduced entry cost product”  to bring me to the 40k universe.

 

 

I'm worried about pricing myself, since they're saying $130 USD, which means probably closer to $175 CAD or more (most converters ares aying around $171), which of course puts it in the "barely cheaper than the 40k starter which is $190"

 

7 hours ago, Dai-Mongar said:

 

No no, it's that you can't have marines with guardsmen (or other Imperial factions) in the same team.

 

 

Yeah, I was really hoping for something closer to Necromunda in price, especially with them reusing existing kits for the squads.

Ahh well, the rulebook is an acceptable price, so I'll get that. Don't need the rest of the box contents anyway.

Ahhhh, I dunno if I'd ever want Marines with Guardsmen myself (Marines are kind of glory hogs, and have a bad habit of using Guardsmen as meat shields despite having all that armor), but still, taking it away from those who may wish to do so for various reasons seems odd. 

 

Still can't believe the marketing teams though "it's a lower cost!" and it barely is...  And most will find a box full of minis to be of a better value than something with two handfuls and terrain.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you consider that a single box of models is all you need to play a proper game of a single faction, and that the size of the board is smaller, and you don't need to buy a codex to get rules for your faction, then it is lower cost in total... the starter box mightn't be any cheaper than 40K's Dark Imperium, but it's more of a complete game. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two kill teams, the base data cards, ton of terrain, board (some maybe meh about it, I kinda em), rules - if you don't have those models, it's well worth the value. Unless apparently you live in areas where shipping is insane :( like NZ and Australia =/ which is really sad. I don't understand why they don't have stock in NZ and Australia especially that's 'normal' priced.

 

Maybe it's (semi) cheaper to get someone to buy it for you and ship it? May well be not - I know it can cost a lot to ship stuff that far.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guildenstern said:

Two kill teams, the base data cards, ton of terrain, board (some maybe meh about it, I kinda em), rules - if you don't have those models, it's well worth the value. Unless apparently you live in areas where shipping is insane :( like NZ and Australia =/ which is really sad. I don't understand why they don't have stock in NZ and Australia especially that's 'normal' priced.

 

Maybe it's (semi) cheaper to get someone to buy it for you and ship it? May well be not - I know it can cost a lot to ship stuff that far.

 

A lot of people buy GW products from the UK and get them shipped via a third party post service (because GW doesn't let stores ship outside of their region) and it works out significantly cheaper than retail and a bit cheaper than domestic discount retailers. I generally don't mind supporting NZ businesses instead.

Funny thing is, other wargaming and miniatures manufacturers don't have the same crazy markup here...

It's my only real bugbear with the current state of GW though, and it's not enough to dampen my enthusiasm for Kill Team, largely because I've got so many options for teams already. Looking forward to putting together an all-metal scout marine team!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a bit of this today.  It's surprisingly decent.  Even the terrain and morale rules are reasonable.   I'd say a much better game than 40k even apart from the lack of bloat and the small model count. 

 

My main disappointment is that the Tau can't take Kroot since that would have given me an excuse to paint up some minis that have been laying around for what's approaching multiple decades.

 

And yeah, nothing is more likely to cause a heart attack than accidentally ending up on the Australian GW site and having a glance at the prices.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played yet, but I bought the book and I think I'd agree with your assessment just looking through it.

The game itself seems well done and should be fun, and it's especially nice to see some more modern wargames ideas in a Warhammer game.

But... some of the options for the factions are pretty disappointing. Chaos in particular - they have only two troop types, the Chaos Marines are limited to the options available in the plastic kit (so only the heavy bolter for a heavy weapon, for example) and they only get four tactics, one of which is Khorne only (also the only one that's Mark-specific). Then there's things like only being able to get a Space Marine combat specialist if you take a Primaris marine - why can the intercessors be combat specialists but not tactical marines?

Anyway, I'm still going to have fun with the game. But I think it'll need a bit of house ruling to play the way I really want to, and there's plenty of room for expansion from GW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has GW said anything about their future plans for this?  Or are there any interesting rumors?

 

I'm of two minds, I wouldn't mind there being a few more options but then again, I don't want things to end up like 40K where you are drinking from a firehose.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Has GW said anything about their future plans for this?  Or are there any interesting rumors?

 

I'm of two minds, I wouldn't mind there being a few more options but then again, I don't want things to end up like 40K where you are drinking from a firehose.

 

I assume there are more faction starters and Killzone sets in the works, but the previously-teased Rogue Trader game has been revealed to be actually a Kill Team expansion - if I had to guess I'd say it'll probably be a board game style box like Necromunda.

Personal daydreaming: I'd like to see an expansion that includes some more elite Kill Teams. Things like Eldar Aspect Warriors, Ork nobz, Space Marine veterans of various flavours, Chaos chosen, whatever cool new stuff comes out for Genestealer Cult with their codex... maybe even some one-man Kill Teams for open play (Sly Marbo, I'm looking at you... he still hasn't had his official release yet).

Absolute dream: rules for Schaffer's Last Chancers. They were the original Kill Team, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played another game last night.  One potential issue with the rules are how charging works

 

1)  You don't need line of sight to charge.

2) A target needs line of sight to the original position of the charger to get overwatch fire.

3)You can target as many enemies as you want as long as they are within 12".  You just need to reach one for your charge to count as succeeding.

4) If you fail the charge roll you still move towards your target.

 

Any one of those isn't necessarily a problem, but the combination makes, say Tyrannids a right pain if there is any LOS blocking terrain around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having picked up a box in the UK I like the rules. I agree the choice of models is a bit limited but I think it’s obvious to try and draw people into 40k just by buying a plastic set. I see no reason why the rules can’t be changed for the other models.  Some photos suggest mixed kill teams in the rule book. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

Played another game last night.  One potential issue with the rules are how charging works

 

1)  You don't need line of sight to charge.

2) A target needs line of sight to the original position of the charger to get overwatch fire.

3)You can target as many enemies as you want as long as they are within 12".  You just need to reach one for your charge to count as succeeding.

4) If you fail the charge roll you still move towards your target.

 

Any one of those isn't necessarily a problem, but the combination makes, say Tyrannids a right pain if there is any LOS blocking terrain around.

 

So I finally played a game today. It was good fun, my Genestealer Cult going up against Primaris Space Wolves.

We decided to play on a 2'x2' battlefield rather than something closer in size to the boards that GW is selling, with a decent spread of obscuring and blocking terrain. We ended up playing the "lines of battle" mission (I believe it was called, the breakthrough open play mission at any rate) and it was relatively easy for me to win with a smaller board length, even despite my dubious tactical choices.

Going back to lowlylowlycook's observations, I think that maximum enjoyment from the game is going to be dependent on getting the battlefield setup just right, both for the mission and for the factions involved. In that respect, I think it's going to lend itself best to narrative play, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with it and hopefully getting a campaign going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×