emmagine

Figures you can only get at the factory? (For melt)

We are planning on hitting up reaper con this  year with all our old figures we will never use, to turn into pretty new figures we actually want. 

My understanding is that they will even spin up out of print figures for us if the molds are still good?   

If that is true, is there a list somewhere of all the out of print figures that might still be obtainable in this fashion?

There are some really obscure things we would be very interested in finding.   For example, I'm told there were some sea elves that never really hit popularity wise.  

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

IDK about specifically OOP miniatures, but I will point out that you can also use the melt metal to get ahold of minis that are locked up in sets. For example, I'm going to try to grab a dozen or two of the crab from Aquatic Familiars II to modify onto a couple of large bases as Crab Swarms, and a handful of the Stingrays from Familiar Pack VII to paint as Ixitxachitls. Even stuff like the Tiny Beholder, painted up as Gazers, have a lot of cool potential if you can get them outside of their packs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, emmagine said:

We are planning on hitting up reaper con this  year with all our old figures we will never use, to turn into pretty new figures we actually want. 

My understanding is that they will even spin up out of print figures for us if the molds are still good?   

If that is true, is there a list somewhere of all the out of print figures that might still be obtainable in this fashion?

There are some really obscure things we would be very interested in finding.   For example, I'm told there were some sea elves that never really hit popularity wise.  

Thanks for the help!

Reaper has (as I understand it) four (?) categories of figures:

• Out of production (or something similar): figures that were made on a contract that restricts further production. These are not available for recasting.
  • Special edition figures: only produced for limited times but might be produced again. Most of those are not available for recasting during the con (the exceptions are those that are specifically released for production during the con, like the ReaperCon Sophie for the current year). These sometimes show up at Christmas or other times.
  • In catalog: the figures that are advertised to retailers for sale. These can be recast, and as @Aard_Rinn noted, you can have them cast parts of sets, including things like the arm sprue from a multi-part mini (I think).
  • Not in catalog: all the rest of the figures. You can see these figures in the online store (and order them from there at any time). Stores can order these as well, but they're not advertised as being available otherwise. You can also get these cast and purchased with credit.

As far as I can tell, if you want, say, the head from a figure, you can purchase the figure with credit, lop off the head, then bring the remainder back for more credit.

Also, credit is only available or usable during ReaperCon, though you can carry credit over from one year to the next (or at least have been able to do that in the past).

All of the above is my understanding of the latest information and subject to change with or without notice by Reaper. No promises that any of this is correct today (though I think it is) or that even if correct today it will remain correct tomorrow.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Aard_Rinn said:

@Doug Sundseth

Do you know if we can get the con sophie woth melt? This one is cute.

Most likely not. The Con figures aren't usually out in the figure bins.

3 hours ago, Aard_Rinn said:

@Doug Sundseth

Do you know if we can get the con Sophie with melt? This one is cute.

Melt doesn't carry over to the store. You do, normally get a gift certificate in the swag bag that you can use at the store.

7 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

Melt doesn't carry over to the store. You do, normally get a gift certificate in the swag bag that you can use at the store.

Oh!!!! I totally misunderstood this then.  I remember someone telling us that if they had time, they would even spin out older molds for melt.   I guess they  were ill informed.

1 hour ago, emmagine said:

Oh!!!! I totally misunderstood this then.  I remember someone telling us that if they had time, they would even spin out older molds for melt.   I guess they  were ill informed.

You may have heard right, but with a caveat. At last year's ReaperCon I requested some figures that were not in the catalog (NIC), from a long time ago; and they cast them for me. And it was for melt. The website used to have a NIC list, but I can't find it now. If you can find a copy of this, you could probably get a stock number for the figures you want.

The best thing to do would be to wait for an official response from @ladystorm or @Reaper Ron regarding the casting of out-of-production figures at ReaperCon. ^_^

--OneBoot :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aard_Rinn said:

@Doug Sundseth

Do you know if we can get the con Sophie with melt? This one is cute.

Unless they changed the rules from last year, you can't use melt to have the casters make the current con Sophie or other metal con exclusives.

2 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

2 hours ago, emmagine said:

What Mr Melons is referring to is any item that is already packaged for retail sale, either at the con or in their store. As was pointed out by Doug above, you can ask for them to cast models.  Here is a link to the last NIC catalog and Casketworks posted online, http://www.reapermini.com/Casketworks. Unfortunately they won't have the minis displayed in multi-part. If a mini or set has multiple parts and those parts have individual codes you can have just that part cast. There are two ways to find these parts, a little sleuthing using the Internet Archive and looking for a save copy of the bones yard that will list those parts or take a trip to their store during the con. I highly recommend the second. If you have transportation you can go anytime and they'll show you the area where the models are and how to look up NIC models. If you don't have transportation they usually have a shuttle for tours of the factory, something that is also highly recommended to do. They give some time to look through the models but if you miss the shuttle it's no big deal as there will be another one shortly after.

And I think lastly, some of the multiple weapons, heads, ect models, if you only want one thing from that sprue, you don't have to take the whole sprue and go through the whole turn in melt again. 

P.S. if you have them bring your own metal snippers it'll make time go faster and you can cut off any unnecessary flash if you pull already cast models.

• Like 3

My understanding is the cast on demand portion is only for parts, not for whole models. I can be wrong, or people working the area could have been winging it. We may not have closed our internal communication loop.

I will bring up these question at our next ReaperCon meeting and push for written copy of policy to be able to reference. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ladystorm said:

My understanding is the cast on demand portion is only for parts, not for whole models. I can be wrong, or people working the area could have been winging it. We may not have closed our internal communication loop.

I will bring up these question at our next ReaperCon meeting and push for written copy of policy to be able to reference. 

Thanks Ladystorm!