NecroMancer

Army Painter Strong Tone

Can amyone tell me if the Strong Tone Quickshade is the same thing whether you get it in the paint can or the dropper bottle?

I am wanting to paint my zombies from Green Horde so I don't think I would need a full paint can and could probably get away with just using a couple/few dropper bottles.  This will probably be the only time I would really be using this as I mostly paint for display and it seems like the Quickshade is more for knocking out a bunch of figures quickly.  I figure if its the same stuff I could save a few bucks and just buy the dropper bottles instead od the whole can. 

The dropper bottles are just a standard brown wash.

But I do think the cans are something different, like a wash/varnish mix, as I've seen people recommending wood stain as a cheaper alternative. 

I've never used it though, so I could be talking utter nonsense.

Edit: Gave their website a look, the cans are actually coloured varnish. 

• Thanks 1

The paint cans are polyurethane.  Think Min Wax.  They do go a long way, and completely submersing a mini in them is a valid way to use them (even suggested on the can).  Keep in mind you will need turpentine for cleaning, and it will play hell on any brush you use.  One can suggests that is enough for 200+ miniatures.  I have heard of people using MinWax, but the tone of the stains is a bit stronger, so some research on how much to dilute them would be needed.  They dry super gloss, so you need to dull cote after.  Being that its essentially floor varnish, there isn't going to be a more durable sealer you are going to find.  IF you are happy with the results of dip shading, you could save yourself countless hours of work.  As far as cost - when you add sealer and wash together its probably a similar price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect (with no evidence) that the Army Painter cans are rebadged Minwax Polyshades, possibly with the addition of a bit of thinner. The Minwax is much cheaper. If you go that way, choose your color to get the effect you want.

FWIW, the original Magic Dip recipe used Tudor, which is a very dark, almost black, brown, but there's nothing to say that you need to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

Maybe I'll try the Min Wax as this would just be a project to get an army of zombies painted for when my kids and I play Green Horde. 

I dont really want to spend $30 on a can of Quickshade that I will probably use once and probably not even use 1/4 of the stuff. 

Like I said I paint for fun and display so I probably would never use the Quickshade again as I'm never really in a hurry to get minis painted.  

fwiw, If you're painting GH and want to paint the zombies green (with some brown), I have a tutorial on the Z Toxic Mall zombies you can use. I use the AP Green Ink wash, and brown Soft Tone Ink wash. No cans, so it will take longer. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1270004/painting-tutorial-toxic-zombies-army-painter-stuff

pic2332089.jpg

• Like 5

I have no real knowledge of min wax.  I used army painter strong tone for my black plague zombies and as they said it is a shiny finish.  I remember watching you tube videos where some one painted up some figures using both min wax and army painter strong tone and there was a difference in the result.  I preferred to look of the army painter for my Zombicide zombies.  

@ced1106 nice.  I'm looking to test some paint the toxic zombies for my GH zombies.  I might give that a try.

Edited by Silvervane
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, Silvervane said:

I have no real knowledge of min wax.  I used army painter strong tone for my black plague zombies and as they said it is a shiny finish.  I remember watching you tube videos where some one painted up some figures using both min wax and army painter strong tone and there was a difference in the result.  I preferred to look of the army painter for my Zombicide zombies.  

Same here. I followed that video for some of my Black Plague zombies and I'm very happy with the can of quickshade I bought. It rocks for shading zombies and protects the paint better than any of my sealers. Dullcote or another matte varnish is a must though. I'm tempted to try it on dungeon tiles. Here's a link to the video for anyone who hasn't seen it. He talks about the shades starting at 13:28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ&t=0s&list=PLwtB929L0o895CvYzMFLoEq42XlQWzIIf&index=44#t=13m28s

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1