Really like the way you painted his face and that excellent wine colored mane. I never would've thought to use those colors. It looks like you used different colors for the top and underside of the wings. The undersides have more of an 'alive' look to them, despite being darker, if that makes any sense. 

21 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Really like the way you painted his face and that excellent wine colored mane. I never would've thought to use those colors. It looks like you used different colors for the top and underside of the wings. The undersides have more of an 'alive' look to them, despite being darker, if that makes any sense. 

4 hours ago, Iridil said:

Great face and color choices - splendid

Thank you!  The mane (and wings) were basecoated black, drybrushed white, and painted with woodgrain, which is wonderfully translucent. And then I drybrushed the mane really lightly with a different red to create some occasional highlights. The photo doesn't showcase the wing color particularly well because the bottom of the wings is largely dark, so the woodgrain became a kind of glossy burgundy, which I'm really happy with.  The problem with this is that (for the wings) it doesn't seem to blend very well, so I guess there's no substitute for multi-stage blending.

• Like 1

For really light colors like the yellow I would suggest starting with a golden brown and then the yellow.  It would help give the color depth and you wouldn't need as many coats of the yellow to get coverage.  

I really like how the basing turned out, I'm guessing that you've added some rocks but they fit in so well it's hard to be sure.  ^_^  It's a fearsome monster, so well done!  

Well done, I really like your color choices.

I'm probably not the best to give suggestions butwith such a sharp color break you might try a short transition space or a color between the two color to provide a softer break for the eye.  If you look at a bat or lizard you will see the colors fade from one to the other.

I do like your composition and colors.  The body and mane are particularly intriguing

Good job

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

For really light colors like the yellow I would suggest starting with a golden brown and then the yellow.  It would help give the color depth and you wouldn't need as many coats of the yellow to get coverage.  

I really like how the basing turned out, I'm guessing that you've added some rocks but they fit in so well it's hard to be sure.  ^_^  It's a fearsome monster, so well done!  

Thanks!  I'll definitely try that.  I've been trying to broaden my drybrushing palette, so to speak :-D

For the base, I glued the original base down to a wooden disc, then stuck on a lot of green stuff to kind of bumpily mate it to the flat wood, and stuck aquarium rocks into the green stuff.  Then I painted the thing with sandy goo and painted away :-)

The pictures don't show it, but the circle of rocks has a decent-sized puddle where all the moss is. I used Realistic Water (not Epoxy Resin) though, so it's not quite as nice as it might be otherwise.  

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I'm probably not the best to give suggestions butwith such a sharp color break you might try a short transition space or a color between the two color to provide a softer break for the eye.  If you look at a bat or lizard you will see the colors fade from one to the other.

I do like your composition and colors.  The body and mane are particularly intriguing

Good job

Thank you!  Yeah, the contrast is kind of jarring.  I looked at bat wings for inspiration, but I had trouble replicating the effect.

The body and mane drybrushed really well, while the bat wings did not.  Next I must learn to blend the techniques better!  :-D

• Like 2

I like the contrast, it fits the figure well ... though a little blending inside the wings might fade (only a little) the dark wings to the lighter webbing ... bridging the transition some ...

• Like 1