Gorgeous! Although, the pictures are tiny. Can we haz a bigger picture, please? 

100% agree about the Nightmare Black. It's super dark but oh so blue. 

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Gorgeous! Although, the pictures are tiny. Can we haz a bigger picture, please? 

100% agree about the Nightmare Black. It's super dark but oh so blue. 

Sorry @CorallineAlgae, looks like I saved over the original pictures :unsure:

Beautifully done I must paint mine you have inspired me

• Thanks 1

Wow this is really beautiful - and I think I now need some Nightmare Black! I like the clean shinnyness, but the metallics still have a warm feel that plays against the darker tone.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...

Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.

Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
      She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.

and the cork will give her some extra height. 

It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!

More to come!
    • By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone, this was my entry in Reaper's Facebook Paint Your Giant contest. 77178, Fire Giant Warrior, Dark Heaven Bones model sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It is mounted on a 74027, Ruins Vignette Base, a resin base sculpted by Patrick Keith. This model is huge, 7cm high and 13cm wide with the sword. I did some minor conversion on it.   A heavy thundering sound come crushing down the ruined hall. You see orange and red lights dancing between the pillar supporting the stone roof. In the glimpse of a moment, all hell break loose as a dark skin colossus burst from the rubbles wielding a towering incandescent blade. He lands next to you smashing the large tiles of the floor. You are paralyzed in fear as he turns gazing in your direction with fire in his eyes. Desperate, you wonder if you've gone too far exploring this ancient Undermountain realm.                    
    • By Weird-O
      For my upcoming Dragon Age campaign.

I thought they looked like they need to pee, but a buddy elsewhere described them as Bone Strippers, and now I can't unsee that.

• By Weird-O
      Painted up as a Chantry Sister for an upcoming Dragon Age campaign.

• By Darcstaar
      This was my entry for the Reaper Fan Facebook Page Paint Your Giants Contest.
      This is the biggest thing I ever painted not on a canvas.
      The last time I entered one of these, I felt like it would have done better if the base told more of a story, so that is what I tried to achieve with this one.
      I wanted it to portray REVENGE!
      The Jarl had his left eye gouged out by a young upstart white dragon.  He healed, regrouped, and hunted down the dragon to enact his revenge.
      I hope you like it.
      The final results have now been posted.  He placed 4th behind some mind-blowing work.

I wanted some orange on the model to play against the blue skin, for color theory.
      Originally, it was going to be glowing runes on the rock and skulls, but I abandoned that for the sake of time/completion.
      I settled with orange tones in the leather.

I wasn't really sure how to get the TMM of the crown to look like a gouge, or how to make his blue skin look like a scar.
      I'm not entirely sold on the result, but I'm sure I'll try again some day on a different model.

The Monster Manual suggests blue skin with white/gray/dirty blonde hair is the usual coloration.  I tried to go to full white for the highlights of the face to make it the focal point.

I wanted him to look like he was wearing a polar bear pelt, and that all the fur trim was also polar bear.

I tried to make it look a little muddy on the bottom, and on his shoes.

This was how I wanted to weather the inside of the bear skin, to make it look like it had that dried cracked appearance.  Not sure how well it shows up in the picture.

These were some WIP shots.  The black and white was to figure out how to highlight the sword.
      I wanted the sword and stone items to look like shiny flint.  I hit the sword and most of the other stone items with high gloss varnish to help sell the effect.

The front and back of the sword.

Finally, some more details of the base and the white dragon victim.

I wanted to base the dragon as a purple in the recesses, similar to the effect going on on the cover of Hoard of the Dragon Queen module.
      This was the BONES Temple Dragon I sacrificed.  He is smaller, but his tongue sticks out perfectly to sell the dead dragon effect.  And he's not as expensive to replace as Deathsleet!
      I pained his eyes half-rolled into his head to complete the idea.  I tried to freehand some anatomy on there: vertebral body, muscle groups, esophagus, carotid arteries/jugular veins.
      I also tried to be accurate with the blood spray coming from both arteries, and didn't want to go too crazy with the gore.  Finally, I wanted it to look like his hot blood had melted some of the snow.

Overall, this was a wild ride.  The early part of the contest saw him at #2.  Then he gave up some ground and sat at #3 for a long time.
      Then another Frost Giant (Queen) made a great surge at the end to unseat me out of #3 into 4th place.

To be honest, there were so many awesome paint jobs, I'm just humbled and honored to be in the top 20.
      Thanks for looking.
      C&C Welcome.

• Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)