pinkymadigan

New Hobby Area advice/suggestions

Okay, my old hobby area I built myself. By built myself I mean I pieced together a couple different shelving sets and stained and cut wood to fit a specific layout I wanted (picture attached). 

I loved it, it was very close to ideal. The only thing I can really complain about is not enough room/storage. It had to fit the area it was in, and it did.

We just moved to a house we intend to occupy for at least 20 years, and I've been given permission to spend as much as I need to make the area "right". Cool spouse aside, I'm not sure what I want. I don't want to build this thing from scratch again (or as much as I did last time, anyway), but I do want a fair degree of modularity. I'm a tall fella, so I'm thinking of going with something more like a assembly workstation so I can stand when I'm doing a non-painting project (terrain, conversions, etc), and sit in a tall chair when painting. 

I'm kind of thinking of doing something like this Uline workstation (https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-5771-LAM/Deluxe-Workstations/Deluxe-Workstation-Starter-Table-96-x-36-Laminate). I worked in a shipping/assembly office a few years back and thought the desk was very comfortable and functional. If I go this route, I would add a shelf, hanging LED overhead, bin rail (for conversion bits), 2 peg panels, 2 louvered panels (more bins), and a leg outlet (4 outlets total, 2 in front, 2 behind).

In my new basement I have a 12x3 cubby area for my area, so I'm thinking this 8 x 3 footer, plus a bookshelf should be more than enough to cover my needs for a long time.

Any thoughts? Is there something better out there? Should I instead get two 6 foot workstations instead and fill the cubby completely? Am I going to regret the peg board / louvered panel? Or miss not having smaller shelves like I used to have? I'd like to really do this right, and nail it. I've got the green light from the boss, so help me think this out before I screw it up.

36817650_10214556766046078_6920216015016034304_n.jpg

• Like 6

The uprights at the back for shelves, bins or pegboard will be great, but depends on how you want to access your paint and other bits.  Just depends on whether you're happy lining bottles up on a shelf, or want something fancier.

Do you plan to continue to use the folding chair?  The under-bench shelf may restrict your ability to scoot up to the table.

Also not sure if IKEA furniture is an option for you. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Clearman said:

The uprights at the back for shelves, bins or pegboard will be great, but depends on how you want to access your paint and other bits.  Just depends on whether you're happy lining bottles up on a shelf, or want something fancier.

Do you plan to continue to use the folding chair?  The under-bench shelf may restrict your ability to scoot up to the table.

Also not sure if IKEA furniture is an option for you. 

I was planning on getting a taller chair more suited to the Uline's height. I don't remember the under shelf being a problem when I worked shipping/assembly, but can't recall the chair/stools we were using. That might have helped.

I went through IKEA the other day for ideas. Kind of a bust. I have never understood the fascination with that place.

The paint is a minor concern, but I think it will work. I previously use the tops of blisters to group like colors together in, and then would shelve/un-shelve them as a group, pull what I need and then replace the group. I think I can replicate with the bits bins on the rail. As you can see from my previous pic, I like to have a lot of paint out on the table at once anyway, and 3 feet is an extra foot at least over the previous bench depth, so there should be enough room. In fact, I was debating going with the 30" deep table because I thought it might be too deep at 36".

I think my extra shelf would go over the pegs, and paint would end up in the bins on the rail, 8 feet is a lot of paint, even broken up into bins. Some of the bins are pretty deep too, IIRC.

Thanks, good to talk all this through, make sure I'm not missing anything.

EDIT:

I think this is the stool I would get:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-6890/Stools/Deluxe-Mesh-Work-Stool

Something with good height options and a foot-ring.

Edited by pinkymadigan

I think the main thing with people liking Ikea so much (I'm one of them) is that with a bit of thinking ahead you can kitbash a number of things together, especially things like their countertops with office storage products (I have one of their $80? CAD countertops on top of Alex office drawers, for example). 

It's also reasonably inexpensive, but comes with the caveat of be careful which products you buy since not all that appear to be solid wood actually are. 

Loving the Uline idea, but sadly have no additional ideas to offer, but I'm looking forward to reading more about this area you're building! 

• Like 1

I just wish uline wasn't so industrial. They have a material option for the table top - laminate, composite, or maple, but no color options on the frame. Probably how they keep the price down. The room is pretty modern, grey with white trim (most likely a Buckeye fan who used red accent pieces but wanted to keep resale value high, pretty common here). I'm thinking even though the red isn't the right red I'll do red for the bins. I guess I could spray the frame white, but if it chips I'd have to respray or touch up.

Laminate makes sense to me for the tabletop, I don't care if it gets messed up, but I'll have cutting mats down anyway, but want a reasonably nice finish where it isn't covered, but don't need to be caring for a maple tabletop. 

Looks like all kitted out, with shipping, my current cart is about $1600. Not terrible. It would be here tomorrow, too.

Think I'll hold off and run it by the boss first just to make sure she's okay with it all. She says she doesn't need to see it, but better safe than sorry.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

I think this is the stool I would get

My only comment of the stool would be to try and determine if there is a rating for how long you should be able to sit in it.  Most office chairs publish this, but I didn't see anything like that in the ULine specs.  I spend A LOT of time at my desk beyond my hobby time, so I got a chair rated at 8-10 hours.  It made a big difference.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I think the main thing with people liking Ikea so much (I'm one of them) is that with a bit of thinking ahead you can kitbash a number of things together, especially things like their countertops with office storage products (I have one of their $80? CAD countertops on top of Alex office drawers, for example). 

This is correct.  There is an extensive community around hacking IKEA kits.  

• Like 1

depending on handy you are, this might be a good idea: https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90164-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/dp/B0030T1BRE/  It only includes the hardware (not wood), but you can customize it to your liking.

• Like 1

IKEA used to have some metal drawer sections(I don't know if they still have them). Get a pair of those and one of their countertops. Bolt the drawer sections to the underside of the countertop, then add, telescoping legs...   

(You can get hand-crank legs for $189 + shipping on ebay)

Their countertops are solid wood and elfed good value for money.

I'm going to keep an eye out for when they refurb some rooms at the office because odds are that they'll toss out the old desks with telescoping legs and set up brand new ones, also with telescoping legs. (It'll cost just as much to adapt the old legs to the new desks, so... they get tossed. )

Just in case I ever find more room...   

(As we have 230V AC, no, you probably can't use it, and also, shipping would be horrendous)

But the most important thing to do is to get rid of that chair and get yourself a GOOD wheelie chair.

• Like 1

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Uline. I'll snap a picture later tonight of the blank space and try to update when it all comes in. Total cost was a little over $1800 (USD) but that included a tall chair with a foot ring too. Delivery was a bit of a pain because they charge for getting it out of the truck + getting it through the door + residential address all separately, and you have to read each option to make sure you know what's going to happen. 

It's good that I read all the options though or my wife would not have been happy being told by the delivery driver she had to get it off the truck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QTY UM Item# Description   Price Total  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ST H-1375WH Casters for Office Chairs and Work Stools   $17.00 $17.00

1 EA H-6890 Deluxe Mesh Work Stool   $260.00 $260.00

24 EA S-12414R Plastic Stackable Bins - 7 1/2 x 4 x 3", Red   $1.50 $36.00

24 EA S-12413R Plastic Stackable Bins - 5 1/2 x 4 x 3", Red   $1.10 $26.40

1 EA H-5761 Deluxe Workstation Shelf - 96"   $73.00 $73.00

1 EA H-5765 Bin Rail for Deluxe Workstation- 96"   $42.00 $42.00

2 EA H-5767 Louvered Panel for Deluxe Workstation - 18 x 19"   $22.00 $44.00

2 EA H-5768 Pegboard Panel for Deluxe Workstation - 18 x 19"   $22.00 $44.00

1 EA H-6332 Deluxe Workstation LED Light Kit - 96"   $119.00 $119.00

1 EA H-6851 Leg Outlet   $39.00 $39.00

1 EA H-5771-LAM Deluxe Workstation Starter Table - 96 x 36", Laminate   $761.00 $761.00

Sub-Total $1,461.40
     Tax $128.10
     Shipping/Handling $246.61
     Total $1,836.11

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 1

Okay. Received my shipment yesterday. 8 foot of workbench is a lot of workbench. Had I the foresight, I would have gotten two shorter workbenches. As it is, this will still be awesome, but I dread moving this thing in 20 years. Maybe I'll try to sell it with the house.

Anyway, on to pictures. First up is the blank space. The back wall is mine.

1.thumb.jpg.ce05b42b81fbf3a03bf4290dcf8bebbd.jpg

500 lbs is a lot of stuff. Some of the loose stuff on top is actually part of a grill (seen in wrap behind the two pallets, on the left) that was also delivered in the same time span. But 95% of this is all from Uline.

2.thumb.jpg.c8ca63f3060de9b3376d37606d36ca72.jpg

This is right around when I called a buddy for help. The table itself is a beast on the 8 footer. I can lift a lot using basic leverage tricks (I'm a big dude), but this was too much for me, even with my wife's help. So I snapped a picture of progress so far.3.thumb.jpg.ff87b8b10d091e4af6662f5c3feabbf6.jpg

Table in place. After my buddy helped me get the top on the ground in place, I secured it to the legs, and was able to roll it right side up with the help of my wife.4.thumb.jpg.d4457c456f80a58698e4360238fb3579.jpg

I was unable to take a picture of my full progress last night, as my phone died on me. But, I managed to get the drawer in, the chair together, the uprights attached, bin rail mounted, peg boards and louvered boards in place. I started making mistakes around this time so I called it a night. Still to do are the shelf and LED light. I'm not certain the light fixture will fit, but I'll detail all that with pics tomorrow.

If anyone is considering this, and can afford two smaller tables instead of 1 big one, I'd go that route. Every step has been a long hard process with the weight of this thing. But I'm loving the height and the chair. This will be awesome to work at.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Looking forward to seeing completed photos.

You wife has that "are you elfing kidding me" look on her face...

That's indeed the look. Combined with a touch of "Whew, that was heavy".

At one point she said "You know, this is big enough that you can work on one side and I can work on the other". To which I replied "No no no no no no, you get an entire room on the first floor, this workbench is mine!".

• Haha 5

That is one awesome looking desk... Can't wait to see more! 

When we finally move to a house, I'm hoping for at least an 8' hobbying area, preferably 12.  Sounds silly, but the 12' would mean soldering stuff wouldn't have to fight with painting stuff....

Cant wait to see more pics! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That is one awesome looking desk... Can't wait to see more! 

When we finally move to a house, I'm hoping for at least an 8' hobbying area, preferably 12.  Sounds silly, but the 12' would mean soldering stuff wouldn't have to fight with painting stuff....

Cant wait to see more pics! 

This is pretty much my idea, as well. I can leave an in-progress terrain build on one side of the table, and go back to the other to paint some minis while some glue sets up or whatever. Leave my airbrush out, no problem. 

Only thing I'd do different would be to literally break it into two separate benches, but that's more for ease of moving it than anything. I added a leg outlet (4 total outlets) to the front center post, so that gives me the ability to plug in 6 things (wall on left has two outlets as well) without even going behind the desk to plug something else in, so I probably won't have to move it ever. I just hope the LED bar can sit lower on the uprights, because the uprights are almost to the ceiling. 

I could lower the legs, but that would be quite the job at this point (with the uprights in already). The whole thing would have to be set down on its back and then tipped back up.

• Like 1

nah..  just use a jack to brace the table  ,,, with a 2x4 across under the main supports...  adjust the legs then lower till it touches the floor and remove jack!

• Like 1