I'm familiar with the practice of boiling / cooling a Bones mini that has a part (spears, swords, legs, etc.) bent out of shape due to packing or whathaveyou.  But has anyone tried reshaping a pair of wings into a shape different than their original cast?  I'm trying to re-contour a pair of wings for a gryphon, to give them a more natural-looking sweep (as opposed to just sticking straight out).  While I've gotten a very nice shape following boiling, and they hold that shape for a while after cooling, by the next morning they have settled back into their straight-as-a-board original shape.

Do I need to heat them longer?  Cool them faster?  Has anyone successfully re-shaped wings like this?

Edited by Painting Dog
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Painting Dog said:

I'm familiar with the practice of boiling / cooling a Bones mini that has a part (spears, swords, legs, etc.) bent out of shape due to packing or whathaveyou.  But has anyone tried reshaping a pair of wings into a shape different than their original cast?  I'm trying to re-contour a pair of wings for a gryphon, to give them a more natural-looking sweep (as opposed to just sticking straight out).  While I've gotten a very nice shape following boiling, and they hold that shape for a while after cooling, by the next morning they have settled back into their straight-as-a-board original shape.

Do I need to heat them longer?  Cool them faster?  Has anyone successfully re-shaped wings like this?

I've tried similar things, mostly with similar results. To the extent that I've had any success at all, heating, reshaping, and then cooling slowly (not quickly) has given me the best results. The slow cooling facilitates releasing the internal stresses caused by reshaping (annealing). If I could figure out how to keep the shape I want while the figure is still in the hot water (without standing there and holding it), I'd just turn off the heat and allow the water to cool naturally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps running a long pin through the wing, then bending it the way you want it?  (disclaimer: I've never tried this sort of thing!)

• Thanks 1

I think you need to pin that, the material has a "memory" so the heating/cooling will work to get it back into the original shape when bent.

But giving it a new shape, it might revert to the original one after a while.

So I think you need to use a pin or something like that to keep it in the new shape.

• Thanks 1

Maybe heat them up, then try to attach them with elastic bands to something curved like a rolling pin? That way you could cool them slowly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eldamir said:

Perhaps running a long pin through the wing, then bending it the way you want it?  (disclaimer: I've never tried this sort of thing!)

I thought about pinning -- not sure I have the skill to do it.  This is the mini in question.  He already has a bend at the joint, and I don't know how I'd get a pin past that.  Maybe try inserting a pin from either end?

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've tried similar things, mostly with similar results. To the extent that I've had any success at all, heating, reshaping, and then cooling slowly (not quickly) has given me the best results. The slow cooling facilitates releasing the internal stresses caused by reshaping (annealing). If I could figure out how to keep the shape I want while the figure is still in the hot water (without standing there and holding it), I'd just turn off the heat and allow the water to cool naturally.

I've actually got insulated gloves that allow me to keep my hands in the hot water.  Maybe I'll give this a try and report back on how it works.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Painting Dog said:

I thought about pinning -- not sure I have the skill to do it.  This is the mini in question.  He already has a bend at the joint, and I don't know how I'd get a pin past that.  Maybe try inserting a pin from either end?

Multiple overlapping pins could work, but they would be a serious pain to insert. I've had the same reservations about turning the original Kaladrax into Gumby. (Which might be too old a reference for most of the audience. But you could look it up. ::P:)

15 minutes ago, Painting Dog said:

I've actually got insulated gloves that allow me to keep my hands in the hot water.  Maybe I'll give this a try and report back on how it works.

I don't have the patience to stand holding a mini bent to shape while water cools. I have removed the models from the water, dried them off*, and held them until they set, which seems to help. Another trick I've used is to press the model up against something that will tend to keep it bent while it cools. You have less control that way, but you don't have to hold a position for the entire time the model is cooling.

Plus insulated gloves reduce the rate of thermal flux, not the quantity of heat**. After the first few minutes, even very good insulators can heat up enough to be uncomfortable.

I'm interested to see the results you get and the method you used.

For Science!

* You need to dry them to reduce evaporative cooling.

** They also tend to have increased area, so they will dissipate more energy into the air than a smaller object, but I'm not sure I want to leave my hand in the residual heat for that long anyway.

• Like 2

I tried, repeatedly, with my Ebonwrath as well as hubby's...  By the next morning pretty much all shaping was gone.  Was so annoying, especially given how much time had been put into such... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could adapt a technique from bonsai gardening. Wrap a framework of copper or aluminum wire to form a temporary brace to hold the figure in the position you desire. The wires will hold the pose in both a hot or cold bath, and can be adjusted during cooling if necessary.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling/wiring

• Like 6