buglips*the*goblin

Life comes at you fast.

16 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So far as I know it is still officially cause unknown, but the likeliest theory is that the glass-topped patio table had a lot of temperature stress this year with our wildly fluctuating spring and early summer that shifted frequently and drastically between hot and cold.  It might have failed in the hot sun and it was just the right kind of dry, gusty day for hot shards to find something to light and there you go. 

Are you saying a beautiful sunny summer day caused a fire?

The sun gods are really broccolis this year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cranky Dog said:

Goblins are -1 in sunlight.  Now we know sometimes it means -1 house.  Which means I need to find me a nice +5 Holy Furnished with double jacuzzi damage.  That's why I bought some lotto tickets for tonight.

• Like 7
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Glad you were able to salvage some stuff.  Make sure when you are looking a floor plans for a new house that it includes a nice goblin cave (local water table allowing).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Goblins are -1 in sunlight.  Now we know sometimes it means -1 house.  Which means I need to find me a nice +5 Holy Furnished with double jacuzzi damage.  That's why I bought some lotto tickets for tonight.

So I see we share a retirement plan. Tell you what, if I hit the full $320mil US jackpot, I'll send half a million your way. And that's real money, not those "crazies" or whatever you call your ScotiaBucks. So that'd be like 6 lifetimes worth of pay, right?

All I ask in return is that you open one of those skunk tobacco farms in October when it's legalized. I know some guys down here that love the stuff and would have some legitimate business to send your way, making you rich beyond your dreams. Call it one of those, what's the word? Where someone gives you something just because they're nice, but they also want a tiny favor in return? Angel investments? Nah, that don't sound right, I think it was devil-something...

Devil's investment? Satan's codpiece? Beelzebub's barges? Devil's bargains? That's it! Devil's bargains!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

53 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So far as I know it is still officially cause unknown, but the likeliest theory is that the glass-topped patio table had a lot of temperature stress this year with our wildly fluctuating spring and early summer that shifted frequently and drastically between hot and cold.  It might have failed in the hot sun and it was just the right kind of dry, gusty day for hot shards to find something to light and there you go. 

Actually a pretty decent theory, assuming that you'd sleep through the sound of the glass breaking.  We had one shatter on our deck and it made quite a noise.  Then you'd have a bunch of glass potentially magnifying the sun to start the fire.  

I'm downright shocked that the terraclips survived at all--I had assumed that the would have been easily damaged beyond repair.  Good luck with a speedy re-build and generous insurance payments.  

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Actually a pretty decent theory, assuming that you'd sleep through the sound of the glass breaking.  We had one shatter on our deck and it made quite a noise.  Then you'd have a bunch of glass potentially magnifying the sun to start the fire.  

I'm downright shocked that the terraclips survived at all--I had assumed that the would have been easily damaged beyond repair.  Good luck with a speedy re-build and generous insurance payments.  

The neighbour reported hearing a loud bang some time before the fire, so that fits with the table theory.  I might have been immune to such a noise because housing development in the hills behind us has meant frequent blasting for 15 years. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

If I win the big Lotto Max then I'm buying you a domicile.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you can, set up an Amazon wishlist with stuff you need to replace, and see if the mods allow linking to it here.   

As Amazon is a retail site and therefore against the forum rules, such an exception would be a Ladystorm question.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's okay, I don't think I'll need anything like that.  Most of what I had that was important to me or really worth anything was in the hobby room anyway.  We get to go back in Monday to do a last salvage so I can poke around for some more stuff.  Most everything in there not fabric is okay, just smokey.  The Red Cross gave us an emergency card for basic needs like new clothes so that's done.  The temporary place is fully furnished so I won't have to look at buying anything as replacements except hobby stuff for several months.  If most of the paint is okay that'll get me through until it would be time for my winter restock anyway, and a micromark order ought to set me up again on tool supplies. 

• Like 17

17 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

The sun gods are really broccolis this year.

Sun gods are elfholes. Screw the sun gods! Moon forever!!

Bugs - stay well!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Bugs - stay well!

Hey, about that sun god:

He's a really fun god!

RA!  RA!  RA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

This is my nightmare. Very glad you got out safely. And that your ProPaints seem okay.

If you have any lost to the fire I can see if I have any extras.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Bugs - stay well!

Balor was a bad guy for a reason... with his one burning eye.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1