Sign in to follow this  
NyarlaBcn

Neutralizing Gloss Varnish?

I had just finished a miniature, one I was kinda happy with, and decided to varnish since I was gonna use it on tabletop. 

Once I had it varnished I realized... I used the wrong one. Instead of Vallejo Matt Varnish, Citadel's 'ardcoat, which is a glossy barnish. Now I have a shiny miniature. Is there anything I could do to either diminish the gloss or remove it completely? Is there any very specific remover to dissolve varnish without harming the paint job? 

If there isn't I guess my only choice will be to remove it all completely with paint stripper and start again..... :( 

Make sure the gloss coat is fully cured, then you should be able to go over it with matt varnish.  Many people do this on tabletop figures since the gloss coat provides extra protection.

• Like 6

Oh, good to know! thank you so much :) 

The issue is, that wasn't even a work for me: it was for a friend, I'm painting his "Gloomhaven" miniatures, and I intend to give the best result possible... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Well, there you go, then, two coats of varnish, can it get any better than that?

Using goblin math, wouldn't 20 coats be best? ::D:

• Like 1

Testors 'DullCote' for the best flat finish...

EVERY time....

over any glossy surface....

• Like 1

I know Testor's Dullcoat is quite popular, and I used to use it. However, it can yellow over time. Years ago I switched to Golden's Archival Varnish matte spray. It's meant for museum quality artwork, flattens just as well as Testor"s, and is less expensive.

I get mine at Dick Blicks, although any good art supply store should have it, or else purchase it online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dullcote and similar sprays can go glossy or satin if you are like me and tend to apply sprays too thick.  I switched to RMS matte sealer rather than keep struggling with spray cans.  Works great, thin to taste; just make sure to always mix it really well before use or the whole bottle will go bad on you eventually.  Brush on primers for me as well.

Kang

• Like 1

I switched from testors dullcote, to Tamiya TS-80 and never looked back, for rattle can varnish.  It's more consistent to me and is dead flat.

For brush on/Airbrush on, I use Pebeo Matt Artist Varnish.  It's extremely flat and for an acrylic varnish it seems pretty durable.