Aard_Rinn

Shield Guardians - Iron Golem x2

Shield Guardians, for those who haven't encountered them, are easily one of the best magic items in 5e. Controlled by an amulet, they're large enough to carry a character, and can be used to store one spell of up to 4th level in addition to their powerful regeneration and ability to redirect damage away from their controller.

My original 5e character had one, and so does a member of my current adventuring party, represented handily by a dice box lid.

That said, the Reaper Iron Golem is exactly perfect as a shield guardian, and I fell in love the first time I saw one IRL. I'll be honest, they underwhelmed me in the original KS page - but the sense of scale was the main issue. I was picturing that figure as maybe half again Mangu Timur - which these, most certainly, are not. They're flipping huge - and great, bulky heaps of armor, with it, with no little fabricky bits to get in the way of a nice easy paint job.

So, without further ado:

20180711_172105.thumb.jpg.5f0e588f9cb0bed62d81cb823b6649f5.jpg20180711_172053.thumb.jpg.794a45662fb72ba56b9ac7ea4c1422de.jpg20180711_172116.thumb.jpg.8d8dded0cb9d384cc25fd1af83b57050.jpg

I've started these two off with a basecoat of Dark Elf Shadow, which is rapidly becoming my new favorite basecoat under silver. Not too dark, not too blue, it's great. Then, hit the whole thing with a pretty solid coat of Model Color Silver. Washed it all in P3 Armor Wash, and then I brushed silver back onto the flat planes - the gauntlets, the boots, the head: smooth areas that I didn't want too much texture to distract from. With that done, I shaded in the eye, and based up on a tile base I extended from the integral with greenstuff, painted in, and stuck Battlefield XP grass in the cracks, easy-peasy.

All together, they're not a great paint job - I can already think of several places I could have put more effort into: smoothing blends on the eyes, neatening paint on the metal, more detail on the bases. But, like most of what I'm working on right now, it's not about that: these will look good on the table, and I'm trying to tidy up the STACK OF SHAME in time for Reapercon, when my huge stack of melt and extensive excel sheet will drag me into the hell that will be THE MONTHLY MOOKSTORM PROJECT!

There's a lot of work to go, but the Drow are chugging along, and I'm well on track to meet my goals for this month, so... I'll leave off with a pic of the pair together, and a hearty recommendation of this mini to anyone who plays 5e!

20180711_172023.thumb.jpg.6ddaf9331dabee082e2145f30fc9882f.jpg20180711_172038.thumb.jpg.89e953c26d5a5b0d3e04728abbee8fc2.jpg

• Like 21

I love your paint job. These would also work well for magical/enchanted armor, so I may have to pick up a couple. They'll certainly look better than the rebased Warmachine and Doombot I've been using from heroclix.

@Rat13

Just be advised that these are very large. They're on a 2" base, not a 1" - they're around 4" tall, almost.

Mangu Timur is an excellent mini for regular-sized animated armor, as are many of the new "Crusader Knights" from the latest kickstarter. This guy is really fantastic, and I 1000% recommend him (hell, I might get another pair after Reapercon) but he lorge.

20 minutes ago, Aard_Rinn said:

Just be advised that these are very large. They're on a 2" base, not a 1" - they're around 4" tall, almost.

I guess they'd have to be large animated armor then, made from armor for a large orc or a small ogre then. At least that's the excuse I'd use.

Thanks for letting me know the size, I didn't think they filled a 2" base. I guess I just figured you were zoomed in with a great camera.