planetmut

03274 Grave Wraith - first mini I've painted in 24 years

I like it!

Well done!

As for the eyesight, reading glasses help a bit, but a visor is awesome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like it!

Well done!

As for the eyesight, reading glasses help a bit, but a visor is awesome!

I wear glasses but had to keep sliding them up and down my nose :-)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, planetmut said:

I wear glasses but had to keep sliding them up and down my nose :-)

I normally only need reading glasses.

But for painting I use a headband with two magnifier slots.

I have 4 lenses and can combine those for the task at hand.

It saved me from giving up the hobby.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

I normally only need reading glasses.

But for painting I use a headband with two magnifier slots.

I have 4 lenses and can combine those for the task at hand.

It saved me from giving up the hobby.

I might have to look into getting one of those.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Welcome back.  This was a good peace to re-start with. 

Thanks! I thought he'd be fairly straightforward to paint with no really fiddly bits. I'm happy with how he turned out and thoroughly enjoying being back in the painting game.

• Like 4

It looks great, I use a visor it's a huge help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great reintro to the addiction (I mean hobby....). I like how the purple adds red tones!  And clean painting on the sword.

I'll echo everyone else here and say get a visor. I can't paint without one - I tried a few cheap (`$10-20) ones until I found the one which works for me and it was love at first sight:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have myopia, your natural near vision might be better.  Depends on your prescription.  This is why I don't use a visor, my near-vision is mutant level good and the optometrist says that it should remain so well into the future.  If you have milder myopia or your glasses are for a different reason, then a visor will help quite a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back to painting!  I will echo everyone else and say get either reading glasses or the visor.  I use a magnifying table lamp and a visor most of the time.  Otherwise I can't see a blessed thing.  And your wraith looks quite fine for having been away from painting so long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Warlady said:

Welcome back to painting!  I will echo everyone else and say get either reading glasses or the visor.  I use a magnifying table lamp and a visor most of the time.  Otherwise I can't see a blessed thing.  And your wraith looks quite fine for having been away from painting so long. 

Thanks! I had fun painting him, although looking at the photo again I can see some spots where I didn't highlight enough or at all. But it's good practice for me.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the hobby! I think you've done a very good job on him.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      The WIP is here:
      A little less see-through than I'd like, but the light still passes. There is glow in the dark medium used, but it's not very effective, and would never come into play anyway.

• By lexomatic
      I had so much fun with my slimes I decided to do a few more translucent minis I had handy.

These are the Grave Wraith and Nightspectre (somewhere else I have a Ghostly Summons 77095, Labella DeMornay 77096, and a spare Spirit 77098 that I will paint another time).
      I wanted to do these quickly, so it's ink mostly - the same ones as with the slimes, plus maybe a few darker phthalos.
      I've done a coat of glow in the dark medium for each (photographed), a coat of the not highest green, and picked out the skeletons in the nightspectre with a wash of medium and brown liner and base coated the grave wraith's sword and tombstone in a dark blue-grey. not photographed
      Eventually everything will get a drybrush of spectral glow (and maybe another, mixed with maggot white, in a few spots).

For the nightspectre, I'm going to try and treat it as a fire and get darker going out. With the wraith, I'm going to go lighter out from the bottom centre. Plus highlights for both.
      The goal will be for them to be mostly translucent (and glow in the dark, because everything gets that medium). Hopefully I'll figure out how much direct light, and how much medium I need to be able to photograph this.

Photos later today in subsequent posts.

• By Maledrakh
      I try to comfom to the posting title and tags rules as laid down by the high and mighty,..please let me know if anything need to be done differently.
      ---
      So, 2017 has arrived.Time to mess about with spirits.

The first series of translucent Bones were made either in orange or in a bright greenish tinge, and it seems I only ever got round to painting one or two of the green ones.

We can't have that, can we?

As with all the translucents, the key is to prime the model with matte varnish. I use Army Painter Anti-Shine spray for this.
      After that I use mainly inks as they also are translucent. I have learned the hard way that normal paints are opaque and should be kept to a minimum if I want to keep the minis even slightly translucent.
      For this piece I started with a liberal coating of Vallejo Green Ink, taking care to draw off exessive pooling of ink with a damp brush. After that I used some old red lidded hexpot Citadel Turquoise Glaze on the bottom half. I detailed the mini with a very light dusting of normal light bone paint on it's visible skeletal hand, and a slightly heavier drybrushing of ScaleColour Cobalt Alchemy light blue metallic on the sword and crossguard, as if it is half-materialized. I also painted the inside of the hood's cowl with ScaleColor Bloodfest Crimson (a very dark red/brown). What cannot be seen in the pictures are the pinpoint bright yellow/green eyes in the depths of the cowl. The gravestone with skulls was done in typical greys and bone-colour with a simple strong tone quickshade for effect.
      Now all it needs is some matte varnish to take the edge off the shinyness of the inks, but that will have to wait until springtime.

77097 Grave Wraith
      Reaper Bones KS1
      Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi
      Green translucent Bonesium PVC
      40m base
    • By MächtigeMaus
      Hey, folks! I'm brand new here, though I've been lurking for awhile, and brand new to miniature painting in general. This is my absolute -first- attempt at painting a mini. I tossed around whether or not to post, but why the heck not, eh? The earlier I get constructive criticism, the earlier I can put it to use!

I've been wanting to try my hand at painting for awhile now, and finally decided to get a learn to paint kit. I set right to it after receiving it yesterday. He's by no measure great, but I'm fairly happy with him for a first attempt. At the least, I was never tempted to strip him down and start over. :P

If anyone has any constructive criticism or tips, they'd be greatly appreciated. The most trouble I ran into was with dry brushing highlights; I seemed to either go far too light or far too heavy on it, with no real middle ground.

In any case, if I had any doubt about sticking with this as a hobby, they were long gone last night. Down the rabbit hole I go! :P

(Edited to correct the absolute mess that my image uploads were.>_<)

• By Erifnogard
      Put some Tamiya clear colors on a few Bones this weekend and I love the results. Goes on like a wash so it takes no time at all and both gives interesting color effects and makes the figure more clearly translucent.

Here is a Grave Wraith with Tamiya Clear Smoke on he robes and Clear Green on the sword, I'll throw a few more up when I get home.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)