3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 9: What type of cereal is your favorite?

I don't really have a favourite, I just buy whatever is on special offer at the time.

• Like 4

I am done eating crunchy stuff, that is sweet, that is poured in a bowl, that has milk drizzled over it...

...I just don’t do that anymore. 

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

But hot cereal is a different story:

Instant Cream of Wheat™️ mixed with Malt-O-Meal™️.  So high-Tech, factory produced, porridge?

51Qi8a6DqGL._SY355_.jpg

0013130060250_CL_version_type_large.jpeg

Sorry I could not find ref pix better size matched. 

My current **recipe is: 1 packet CreamofW + An eyeballed equal quantity of MaltoM + a looks about right quantity of H2O... stir, zaaap, stir zaaap, stir.  Sprinkle dark chocolate chips*** on top while it’s hot; fold in to hoping for partial melt. 

**if dumping three ingredients in a bowl and zapping it in a microwave can be glorified as a recipe.

***no other sweeteners are added. 

I might be a culinarily challenged Griffin. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I am rather fond of Frankenberry.  When I was a kid, this was available year-round.  Now, it's only released around Halloween.

I don't eat cereal (or breakfast) much any more.  I'm not allowed to buy cereal because I will have one bowl and then the rest of the box will go stale before I think to have more.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This question is from @Inarah btw.

Anyway, I don't eat much cold cereal any more. When I do it's either Raisin Bran or cinnamon life. When I was little I loved the non-marshmallow parts of lucky charms. The feeling of those dry marshmallows crunching between my teeth always made me want to rip my teeth out and throw them away.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It has been a few years since last I had a bowl, but Kellogg's Raisin Bran is my hands down favorite. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have always started every day with a bowl of cereal. Even when dieting. Even when I had to add more fat into my diet for medicine. Cereal is one of my favorite things to eat.

My tastes have definitely changed the last 20 years or so, going from the super sugary marshallowy goodness of old favorites to things that tone it down a little (not that much in some cases).

My most recent dietary blow has been an increased need for fiber, so my new favorite is about 1/3 of a bowl of Fiber One, mixed with something peanut buttery (Reese's or the new Nutter Butter), mixed with something in between, like Honey Oh's cereal for a bit of an oat flavor. 

At one time I had a pour-able food container that I would mix cereals in over time, getting a nice blend of old and new flavors as I saw fit, but I'm a little more regimented now.

I'm excited to try the new Raisin Bran with Banana (I wish more cereals had Bananas, what a great flavor). But I need to finish some older boxes first.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Favourite discontinued one: Cruncheroos Apple Cinnamon.  Man those were sooooooooo good, but mom sure got cranky whenever I had a bowl, it's like I was chewing rocks or something (they were notoriously loud because of their crunch, so you basically sounded like a dog happily chewing on a fresh rawhide bone...)

Favourite current cereal: while I do love me some Raisin Bran (and I have it relatively often), Honey Crisp is a guilty pleasure of mine.  Soooooo tasty, but it feels like I need to eat half the box to be full... 

• Like 4

Well salted porridge.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Well salted porridge.

This I would be interested to try. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Well salted porridge.

I wandered away to google things and I have learned that boiled oatmeal is porridge but there are porridges made without oatmeal. Polenta and Grits count as porridges. I’ve tried Grits. Just the once. Won’t repeat the error. )

• Like 5

When I was a kid, I loved Crispy Critters, among others.

Now, I love anything with whole grains, nuts and just a bit of sweetness. Granola FTW!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Well salted porridge.

We need a pukey face reaction.:blink: Salty oatmeal is so gross to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

We need a pukey face reaction.:blink: Salty oatmeal is so gross to me.

For whatever reason, salted oatmeal is yucky, but salted cream of wheat or grits is delicious. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

As a kid, any of the overly sweet ones, preferably with dried up marshmallows, that would become a sweet milky slurry as you kept adding more cereal to the leftover milk.

As a grown up, I like the kinds that can be used as a dry crunchy snack. Granola mixes, Muesli, Raisin Bran, and the like. [My inner child moved out because of that]

• Like 3