24 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

There are arguments for putting it away somewhere, to be sure. And there are arguments to keeping all the butter that isn't the "active" stick in the fridge (in fact, this makes the most sense), but there are no arguments I know of that would make me store my active, in-use stick in the fridge. Maybe if the AC went out, I guess.

I can see people thinking it's easier to store it in the fridge if they have pest problems, but I would find a different solution, probably. Buy a butter crock with a good heavy lid, or buy a bread box and keep the butter dish in there maybe. But I would not give up room temperature butter unless forced to, anything is better than trying to use cold butter, or having to foresee needing butter in a couple minutes, or trying to time softening butter in the microwave without liquefying it.

Agreed. Only monsters keep their spreading butter in the fridge. When the tub of Kerrygold starts to run low, we remove the seal from the next one and put it in the cupboard under the active one so we never have to deal with trying to spread cold butter on hot toast.

We do have sticks of unsalted butter we use for cooking that stay in the fridge and come out 1/4 TBSP at a time.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

What is the most expensive things you've ever broken?

Myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

41 minutes ago, etherial said:

Agreed. Only monsters keep their spreading butter in the fridge. When the tub of Kerrygold starts to run low, we remove the seal from the next one and put it in the cupboard under the active one so we never have to deal with trying to spread cold butter on hot toast.

We do have sticks of unsalted butter we use for cooking that stay in the fridge and come out 1/4 TBSP at a time.

In summer I often keep butter in the fridge. Having it spoil, or finding it melted and moldy a few too many times in the covered butter dish has made me leery of keeping it out to long. Before I did just leave it out though.

Also the most expensive thing I broke was probably my dad's van. Got into an accident on the way back home from buying my sister's birthday present on her birthday when I was about 17. Pretty much totaled it. It had been one of his favorite vehicles to drive too. Kinda wrecked my sister's birthday as well.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, etherial said:

Based on personal experience of what my wife complains about, Imma go with "leaving the butter on the counter".

Tell her about butter mills, and how useful they are... Especially if you want to be able to actually spread your butter on toast or whatnot. 

Most will allow you to safely keep the butter in it for upwards of a week without issue. 

• Like 2

Butter kept in fridge. We use it rarely so it'll go rancid before we use it all.

Soft spread margerine for the win.

Also, butter spray.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Yipes ^ Glitterwolf....

I dithered between the eyeroll smiley and the :winkthumbs: smiley. 

After all this time a smiley will be just fine.

I'm very happy now with my girl and that would not have happened without this.

But at the time it was pretty bad and I still consider a lot of things that went sour with my son and daughter to be caused by it.

Life goes on, and it has only improved since then.

So no worries.

And of course we broke it together..it wasn't me alone..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

My toe.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, etherial said:

Code. IDLE is the most complex IDE I'm willing to use. Usually I'll just use nano.

Tell me about it.

I finally upgraded from my standard of 25 years: "2 emacs frames and a bunch of terminals" to Windows VS Code (and a bunch of terminals) in the past year. :upside:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

I suppose I should go with a boring answer and say a car - I've run several of them into the ground during my Rocky Horror-related travels, had several minor accidents and flipped one onto its roof off a 10-ft embankment at 70mph...

The interesting answers are... well, let's just say I couldn't tell you about them on this forum even if I was prepared to explain them to this crowd.

• Haha 6

On 8/30/2018 at 2:23 AM, redambrosia said:

I've been saving this one for reapercon-mas. It's from @Clearman.

Thorsday, August 30: 

What non-hobby related trophies do you have?

I have several trophies from math competitions from middle and high school.  I was pretty competitive back then, and pretty good at math.  Those trophies haven’t been displayed since I went to college.  The ones I still have are in a box in a closet.

18 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

Thing?  Hm.  I was party to the death of a moving van by deer.  The contract for the van was in my name (although I was not driving).  The deer was standing in the middle of the recently opened interstate.  We dodged to the right.  So did it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, etherial said:

We keep it in the cupboard so as to not entice the cats.

Get a covered butter dish. I have two. One for salted butter and one for unsalted. Cats can't lick through ceramic.

And I can't recall the most expensive thing I've ever broken. Growing up poor, I learned to be careful with my stuff. Most of my nice stuff has been broken by other people, darn their eyes.

• Like 2

Thorsday, August 30: 

I have a blue, first place ribbon from my first, and only, motocross race.

Numerous first, second, and third place ribbons from photography contests in highschool.

One third place ribbon from a night stand I built for a UIL contest in 7th grade. My aunt ended up using it as a plant stand. <_<

Patches and s few medals from competative ice skating in grade school.

• Like 4

On 8/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 26: What is the most annoying thing about having you as a housemate?

On 8/26/2018 at 12:57 AM, TGP said:

It’s either my grumbling when the ambient temperature goes above 72° indoors, or my failure to turn the heat on until the indoor temp drops below 58°. 

(22 and 14C for the Fahrenheit challenged...)

^^ This. Also I'm likely to be playing music or the radio whenever I'm home and not watching a screen.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:47 AM, redambrosia said:

Monday, August 27: What is the best song from the 1980s?

I'm not sure I can pick just one... but how about... AC/DC Back in Black!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA

On 8/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

D&D! 

On 8/29/2018 at 12:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

Anything cleaning. 

Ordering things online is way easier than shopping at a store or from a catalog. 

On 8/30/2018 at 3:23 AM, redambrosia said:

Thorsday, August 30: 

Masters Degree? Uh... Bunch of badges from Untapped for drinking a whole lot of beer. 

Oh, and a bunch of ribbons and awards and stuff from dog agility. 

On 8/31/2018 at 3:00 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

Car, probably... 

On 8/31/2018 at 3:19 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Marriage..

Long ago and happy now, but it was expensive in more than one way.

I mean, there was that, but I didn't break it. Trying to save it? That was expensive but less so as measured in cash and more in other things. 

• Like 4

On 8/28/2018 at 12:37 AM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Old-fashioned depends on who you ask, but most of what I would have mentioned has already been covered.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:37 PM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 29: What is something you definitely prefer to do the “new-fangled” way?

I like my electronic devices, but some of them were invented quite a while ago. 

Thorsday, August 30: 

I did some cub scouts when I was young and was decent at track before I got bored with running in a circle.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:00 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 31: 

I can't think of anything in particular.  While I have had a couple of cars broken, they were deemed not my fault and covered by insurance.  Nothing else I can think of had a value over $100.  I guess this makes me not clumsy.

• Like 1