Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Bathysphere (or, An Inevitable Lesson in Hubris)

So I've posted a couple of deep-sea pulp and steampunk era divers, but it's simply not enough for me! So, inspired by a Facebook post, I decided to make a bathysphere-bot.

The FB post showed a thing that was 3-D printed, but I'm trying to reverse-engineer it using found objects and green stuff. 

DSCN3877.thumb.JPG.3623b58008c1f5db0d9ba02fdad0b528.JPGIdeally it will have moveable arms and legs that can be swiveled. 
DSCN3878.thumb.JPG.0095c649877fef5a84bddd20ebc4be78.JPG
Part of me is certain that this is flying too close to the sun--but what is a WIP thread for if not ambitious experiments? 

The 'hip joints' are cigarette lighter flints. If I were a handier guy I would know the correct hardware term, but the 'pelvis; is a nut on a swivel such that the ping-pong ball can rotate atop it.

Some craft-store neodymium magnets separated by weakly magnetizable washers make for shoulder joints that can rotate.
DSCN3879.thumb.JPG.991415b3730d7a341ba31e09ceae48bd.JPG
(The shoulder balls themselves are gun turrets from a Dystopian Wars dreadnought that I repurposed.

DSCN3880.thumb.JPG.95103dbc23b4af431d4ac7eb550458c6.JPG

Next up: the main viewport!

This involved some trial and error with wire. Even now the angles are not perfectly perpendicular, but hey! It's a rough draft. 
DSCN3882.thumb.JPG.a58f4cd148b269f7730af49581e82c7f.JPG

DSCN3883.thumb.JPG.4b10e9d0acc721eee064e0e718198746.JPG

I'll make lots of little viewports out of green stuff to stick on the sides and top, taking plentiful inspiration from the Oannes Society from Hellboy/ B.P.R.D. comics.

DSCN3884.thumb.JPG.bd34a7b45d4b16350824de07db4d24cc.JPG

You can see the future access hatch here. Next comes the terrifying part: green stuff limbs. 

• Like 22

Looking good!  If your shoulder joints aren't strong enough you might consider the ball and socket magnet joints some companies make for miniature flight stands or buying the components for such from one of the web magnet suppliers.  From experience, the washer/ball magnet combo can be pretty weak.

• Like 1

Interesting build.  

Those lighter parts are 'Spark wheels' and rub against a flint or similar to create the spark.

• Haha 1

OUTSTANDING! You are using some of my favorite scrap parts, the flint wheel & springs in particular.

The Beasty has a lot of potential. Have FUN with the process.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Looking good!  If your shoulder joints aren't strong enough you might consider the ball and socket magnet joints some companies make for miniature flight stands or buying the components for such from one of the web magnet suppliers.  From experience, the washer/ball magnet combo can be pretty weak.

Thanks! I'm using two disc magnets rather than a washer and a ball magnet, but I am very much excited to find out about professional ball-and-socket joints! 

12 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Interesting build.  

Those lighter parts are 'Spark wheels' and rub against a flint or similar to create the spark.

Not wrong! ;-) I should have used clearer syntax--I don't know what the [hex nut with an attached grommet that swivels] is called. It's apparently not what the Internet understands to be a 'swivel nut' or a 'grommet nut.' But it's of minor importance. 

11 hours ago, malefactus said:

OUTSTANDING! You are using some of my favorite scrap parts, the flint wheel & springs in particular.

The Beasty has a lot of potential. Have FUN with the process.

Thank you! My favorites too. I've been collecting them on walks for a while now and it's good to put them to use. I make a bunch of props from junk...am pretty pleased with some Zap Guns / Death Rays I've slapped together. 

• Like 1

Before I start slapping Green Stuff on things, I should make a skeleton. Had some bits and bobs and Bryangles. Shooting for a bent-knee, bent-hip Sasquatch / Groucho Marx gait. 

Still not sure if I want to put the legs in the central groove of the spark wheels or on the outside faces. 

DSCN4089.JPG

DSCN4090.JPG

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The nutty part is a 'Flange nut'...

Wonderful! 'Cause  I'll want more of them  (found this one by the roadside), and Hardware Store Charades is my least favorite game. Your name is well-deserved! 

• Like 1

Appreciate the kind words, folks! Did a little more work tonight on the limbs. That magnet joint is paying off! 

Will say though, IF your magnets have different poles facing outwards, be sure you can tell which is which. :wacko:::P: Lost some time that way!
DSCN4165.thumb.JPG.27e448fa41154cf0993ac76c4647971d.JPG
Bryangle 'girders,' strike wheels, odds-and-ends, and drywall anchors at work.

I found some bits that I think were pocketwatch hinge pins; they are perfect for tabletop-scale pistons! 

DSCN4166.thumb.JPG.e8e97e6c0d78b3be20b0bdc2024af2de.JPG

DSCN4167.thumb.JPG.47f0542c1d4d365c5d14f4d8beb807ba.JPG

DSCN4168.thumb.JPG.868a831d233672f9416a7d4c164a9b15.JPG

The arms absolutely swap out perfectly, so if we want a claw or a drill, we have options.

Now we just gotta make the claws and feet, and the end's in sight!

• Like 10