haldir

Color recommendations

So I'm kinda stuck on this mini:

02859_G.jpg

Mainly what color to paint her hat. Here is the color scheme so far with her:

brown leather boots with gold skulls

beige white pants with red "blood" stripe on the side (homage to everyone's favorite nerf-herder). Thou I'm thinking of maybe changing this.

brown leather gloves & leather belt

gold hilt with silver sword

royal purple long tail coat/shirt with linen white ruffles

red hair

Now the hat. Would it look good in the same brown leather as her boots & gloves? White perhaps (match her pants), or black. I haven't pick out feather colors thou, I'm leaning towards colors to compliment her jacket.

Any help would be appreciated as she is the latest color wall in my RCon games minis.

thanks!

• Like 1

I like 2 different triads as a default.  Dusky skin triad and dark elf triad.  Both are very neutral.  Both can compliment or contrast well with other more prominent colors 

• Like 1

Purple hat with white feather?  I wouldn't go for black on the hat since you are doing the rest of the leather in brown. Brown leather hat with a white or purple feather would also work.

• Like 3

Yah one reason why black was way down the list. Besides I have a male privateer that has a black hat already. Why her's is kinda difficult to pin down. I do like the nightshade purple with a white & maybe a lighter shade of purple (there are 2 in her hat). I thought about green but that kinda shifts her into Halloween & I'm not going for that look.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I like the plan, except for the blood stain. Unless you are really careful, it will just look like a blob. 

For the hat, I'd lean with something semi-matching to the pants. If you have a dark purple coat, and beige pants, the hat could be a different beige. Light color hats are good for sunshine anyway. Plus, an off-white that leans yellow would hit double contrast points versus dark purple: pale vs dark, yellow vs purple. I would not do the same color as the pants, because they're likely different material. Pants are more likely a normal cloth, and the hat is more likely felt or leather. At that size, my bet would be on felt. 

Alternately, she screams red jacket + blue hat to me. However, you wanted purples and purple is always good. :poke:

• Like 1

The stripe on the pants is just that a red stripe on the outside. I didn't do it like this, but it's along the lines:

Star-Wars-ANH-A-New-Hope-Han-Solo-Pants-

Just a subtle tribute. It's kinda like anyone that has a belt pouch, I've painted it dark purple with a gold string. Anther tribute towards all those Crown Royale bags out there in gaming land. I retired mine last year. 

She already has the colors painted, minus the hat. I already did up the pirate lord in a red jacket (ie  He looks similar to Disney's Captain Hook). I needed a different color, as I painted anther pirate in a blue jacket.

I do like the light shade as well. One reason why she is a paint blocker right now.

• Like 3

Oooh gotcha. A stripe would be much better then! 

• Like 1

I'd go for matching the hat with the pants. cant tell if there is a feather in the hat but then maybe match that to the coat or do blue or a red to match the pants stripe

• Like 1

I'd match the hat with the coat. At least, that's what costume designers tend to do. Maybe match the feather to another part of the clothing, like the pant stripes.

Examples of hat/coat pairings in the spoiler. The fellas have a bandanna instead of a feather:

Spoiler

R4242_a__70131.1410474309.jpg?c=2 girls-buccaneer-costume.jpg

lrgscalebuccaneer.jpg buccaneer-men-pirate-costume.jpg&f=1

• Like 1

I vote for purple hat (match the jacket). Golden yellow feather - will contrast nicely with purple and add a compositional element to go with the other golds. You could make one feather red to tie in with the red line in her pants and her hair. 

This is a favorite fig of mine. I painted her ages ago and frequently use her for my character (I like to swashbuckle). My color scheme is all greens but it may help?

20180807_221329.jpg

20180807_221354.jpg

• Like 8