Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Generic Fighter
The time has come. The stars are right. The planets align. GenCon is nearly upon us. And so the great Iymrith rises upon the Mountain peak.
As Eldritch Lingtning ignites the cloudy skies and strikes the very Mountain Peak around her!
She prepares for her journey to the great Gladiator Pits in a distant place known only as Indy. Where bands of skilled and Mighty warriors shall fight for her amusement, in the faint hopes to win her favor. She hopes not to be dissappointed, yet again.
Whew. This took me so very far out of my comfort zone! A real Trophy Style Base, LED Lighting Effects, Using Pine Bark Chips, Scraping off most of the Yellow Clear "Paint" I put on the Bolts, ect. BUT, she is done! And She Looks FREAKING AMAZING! Now to just put the finishing touches on the last couple prizes, and I'm done with this project!
Anywho, Let me know what you think of her. Please tell me You like her and think I did a good job and that I did not just waste about a month on this for nothing.
Pretty late in the mini to start a WIP but I could use some thoughts and suggestions, in particular in the area of contrast. I am looking to bring up the contrast on the scales but I don't want to shift to an orange or pink. The skin shows a decent contrast but to my eye it's more orange than red at this point. I love the different shading going on for each scale type but I want more from the upper body scales without going into orange and yellow.
My challenge to myself this year is to gel my reds to be red. It's not an easy color to work with and a lot of these paints are either transparent or chalk when thinned. It has been a long road to get this far but I want a richer color.
Thoughts would be welcomed along with critique. Pictures were snapped off my work bench but I will shoot for better ones this weekend. In the meantime...
the photos are raw and taken without flash to try and show the pieces in the most natural light
The body. Trying for three textures plus the crest. The heavy armored back scales are under layered with corpreal shadow to make them stand out, then shaded from a dark purple red to blood red. The body scales are undershaded with brick red and shaded up to a highlight of Phoenix red. The body skin on the arms starts at Gore red and shaded up to a lantern yellow. Problem is with the body. I would like more highlight but whatever I try changes the tone to either orange or pink.
The head: still a work in progress. Needing to clean up the horns and again highlight without going to the orange or pink
Upper side of wing. Looking pretty good although a set of missed mold lines is making me repaint the horns
Wing underside. Subdued and darker as this part is solidly cast in shadow and the horns are in the process of being repainted... again
So thanks again for anyone who would like to help out.
So an EDIT: I changed up the photos and added one more different view because I took them from a slightly lower angle
So it looks like Frost Giants are all the rage these days on the forums, so I'll add one more, eventually two. I have been watching Patrick Keith's frost giant queen ever since she came out on the Bones Kickstarter and got her not too long ago, but didn't feel that I could actually start on her until I got some of my older frost giant pieces out of the way. The first two on the docket are John Dennett's classic Frost Giants from the Grenadier's Giant's Club, where each giant set came with the piece of a map and an obelisk. I'm not sure if after collecting all these you were able to send them in for something?
Anyhoos, here is the female frost giant, one of my all time favorite figures. I'm working still on the male frost giant who is a little more labor intensive, but I'll get him finished one of these days hopefully soon.
and some of the face's close ups because I think I took the farther away photos from a higher angle which didn't quite capture the face.
One thing I've found out especially towards the end of this project is that super glue and tight spaces really don't match and I managed to get the snow around and in a few places where it shouldn't be, including over the left hand's fingernails, which I took painstaking time and effort to make nice, only to get them covered by snow.
The snow I used came from some modeling snow I had bought years ago. Up until now I'd been using baking soda for my snow effect, but I worried a bit that over the time it might yellow (time will tell I guess) and it would not look so nice in a few years.
In case anybody's interested, here’s the WIP I've been working with:
where you can also see ongoing process on the male as well.
Anyhows, I hope you all enjoy taking a gander as much as I enjoyed painting her!
Who's Online 32 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Doug Sundseth
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Paradoxical Mouse