Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So I am not usually into painting a lot of games workshop, but my girlfriend used to play Bretonnia and had a lot of guard-types left over. I needed a good 10 guys to function as city guards/bandits/smugglers/etc. in my campaigns. So I painted them up, quick like. They are not works of art, but they work very well on the table. Here are some shots.
By Geoff Davis
I don't usually paint Warhammer miniatures, but there is a local painting contest which has very specific rules so I figured why not. I've never entered a painting contest before, so there is no time like the present. I've decided to carry on with my experiments in object source lighting and apply wht I've learned so far in this project. One of the big challenges will be doing the OSL in the metallic armour of the knight. I've never tried that before. The two figures are "Neave Blacktalon" and "Wight King".
Here is my planned layout. The white line is to align their line of sight so they are looking each other in the eyes. The source of light will be a big glowing rune on the ground in between them. I chose these two figures becuase they both have cloaks that are blowing in the wind, but they are blowing in opposite directions. That means that when they are facing each other, the wind direction is consistent. I intend to make the grass be bent over in the same direction as well. The wind is blowing from the wight towards the knight. I am very tempted to name this project "Fus Ro..." That might not be genre appropriate though.
I had some in progress shots of the base but I lost them somewhere. Drag and drop error, probably. I used milliput to make the rocky base. I used the base of another rocky miniature to make impressions to give it texture. The wight's foot is incorporated into his base, so I incorporated his whole base into the milliput mass. I sculpted the runes/rock circle into the milliput and then added sand to it. In the crevices. I made my first big mistake at this stage. I added the grass tufts too. I should have waited until after I primed the whole base and then painted the ground where the grass would be attached. My thinking was that the grass would look better if it was highlighted with the OSL effect in the same way as everything else. However, it has proven very difficult to get paint through the grass tufts to make them shadowed underneath. Other than that, I like the way it turned out. I prepainted the whole base using the stone greys triad. I highlighted the base with the greys and added white to get the areas that would be hit by the light from the rune to be brightest. Today I spent the morning painting the OSL effects onto the base. This lets me make sure the OSL on the figures and on the base will line up with each other and also be the same colours.
I am using these for the OSL effect:
Here is where I am at so far. The figures are beside the base on their cork handles so you can see how they will line up eventually. I need to darken the areas around the outside edge of the base a lot more still. It is actually a lot darker than it look in the picture already. I added progressively Nightshade Purple and Brown Liner to the Stone Grey for the shadow areas on the base.
Who's Online 33 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Chris Palmer
- Reverend Shartan