One of the reasons I started this thread was that I'd hoped that others would be working on the same figures for the season. A mutual enablement if you will. On some of them details can be tricky to identify and seeing what others have done often helps. 

Siobhana's now finished and waiting for the matte sealer to dry, so next up is the Female Wraith, who is now getting a bit of a banshee vibe.

100_0605.JPG.8c1a099238e59dcaf7845cecbcf4b2f5.JPG

Although difficult to see in the picture, her eyes have been done in a Copper Verdigris/Viper Green mix. I decided to use part of the Red Hair Triad instead of the Grey/Black I'd originally intended so as to not only go well with the eyes, but to have a bit of contrast as well. 

• Like 8

Finally got back to the painting table, and spent much of my time there doing a muppet flail.

100_0612.JPG.0ac864a7fbea506900711ba6ae69e7ff.JPG

Started off well enough, the staff was based in a Sample Green/Rainy Gray mix, Pavement Gray highlights added to her cloak, and Druchii Violet wash added to her skirt, hat and the red thing. Her hair got some Black Wash.

100_0611.JPG.e8195e38e417e0dab9b81ebd9bd2581b.JPG

Now the flailing begins.

100_0613.JPG.879ad2ce30d839fcbf43b3bfcb62fa95.JPG

I left her hat as is, but added a Gem Purple/Witchcraft Purple mix to her skirt, which looked odd to me but I ignored the panicked voice in my head and wound up going full Witchcraft Purple on it. I also added the same mixes to her orb and tried topping it off with Breast Cancer Awareness Pink. This gave me not the Grapefruit Orb of Maerlyn from the Dark Tower, but instead an evil ice cream sort of thing. When the panic subsides, I'll try a Witchcraft Purple glaze or three to tone it together.

Her staff fell victim to my usual "when in doubt, hit it with the Brown and/or Black Wash until it stops squirming" mode of thought and her cloak got hit with Black Wash on general principal. Later I picked out the staff with a Sample Green/Stormy Gray mix which nicely conveys "old gnarled evil wood", so I'm rather happy with it. The pages of the book got a base of Dirty Bone. 

100_0614.JPG.e9b5143863b699954a71f69028107fac.JPG

Other than the bluriness of the picture, the Black Wash tied things together nicely.

100_0615.JPG.50f3862e0e13ea0a76d21c6aeee10203.JPG

Evil Ice Cream Orb. I'm not paticularly practiced in either gems or pink like colors so fixing this is going to be interesting. 

• Like 8

After having consulted several reference works, I went over the orb with BCA Pink, then a wash of Witchcraft Purple. This was followed by a pattern of BCA Pink glaze dabbed over it, and a BCA Pink/Pure White mix glaze dabbed in the lighter areas. A very light going over with the Witchcraft Purple Wash and I now have something closer to a tie dyed lawn orb than an evil ice cream blob. 

100_0616.JPG.4352e6461e23aed451915ae2bea7c5f4.JPG

I also finished the gem in the staff and did some spot applications of Brown Wash and Dirty Bone, the book was done in Red Gore and Black Wash as I wished to return to my comfort zone after dealing with those scary pink mixes. 

100_0617.JPG.403dd27e4d93ea2521714c7209d8fd5c.JPG

Assuming my motivation holds out I may have her done tomorrow and can then start on the much neglected werewolf.

• Like 9

Selmarina is finished and as I'm waiting for the sealer to dry I got going on the werewolf's fur. 

100_0619.JPG.3e2dc5d0fdcaae1d6639a094aa922003.JPG

First drybrush was pure Dark Highlight, then a 50/50 mix with Oiled Leather, then pure Oiled Leather, then 75/25 Oiled Leather/Rainy Gray, then a light dusting with pure Stormy Gray. I'm hoping once I get started on his skin, the fur won't look quite so dull.

100_0620.JPG.1e3bdd77d4d6fcc9cf58371b7562bb59.JPG

• Like 10

The Werewolf's skin is finished in a combination of Leather Brown, Bronzed Flesh, and a Dark Highlight tint to tie it back towards the fur. 

100_0629.JPG.e87aa218ebf3ea5a41d509fe599f1b91.JPG

100_0628.JPG.34f3541795a5d95fb1eda761dd253998.JPG

100_0627.JPG.9defbbaad257773d52c6cbab014e90b3.JPG

The fur also received a light drybrushing of Oiled Leather/Pure White mix. 

• Like 11

With the skin and fur out of the way, everything else seems to be coming together quite quickly.

100_0632.JPG.7fcbc2388b91d09ef9a4b52fca850280.JPG

His eyes are Highlight Orange with a Golden Glow dot, the shotgun and belt are Blackened Steel and Harvest Brown.

100_0633.JPG.36cca9bad7ce8b3eec7adf63c0889de3.JPG

His vest was a Heather Blue base, then a Heather Blue/Stone Gray mix highlighted on, a thinned Black Wash, followed by A light drybrushing of Heather Blue and a Heather Blue/Pure White mix. His pants are Stone Gray base, Black Wash, Stone Gray Highlight, and a drybrushing of Stone Gray/Pure White mix. I also went over his hat in Pure Black to fix the earlier invasion by the fur drybrushing. His feather is done in Gore Red.

Fun Bit of Synchronicity: In the movie Werewolves On Wheels, the gang encounters a gas station owner who is wearing this exact same hat but with a smaller feather! So it will be painted the same as his.

100_0634.JPG.02a34d6cc09be2a311d16d69a604c8b0.JPG

• Like 10

With the Werewolf close to done, and before I get caught up in the freehanding on him, I present the next crop of victims. 

100_0636.JPG.b144bb1b0ee263625fd13678d26db73a.JPG

The Undying Lords are drying from their bath in the kitchen. The difficult part will be resisting the urge to paint several of them as Lord of the Rings characters. 

100_0635.JPG.5d5bfaf835bce0a1c25948f4372bdb61.JPG

I don't remember offhand who made the Witch on the far left, but I've had her for awhile and her base is already finished. (I'll look it up later)

The Barrow Wardens in the center behind the Pumpkin Minions will be receiving a head swap to create Pumpkin Knights. The Barrow Warden on the left might as well, I'm leery of dealing with his chain coif. On the far right is Elise the Witch. All of my unpainted Witches had received a Simple Green bath a few weeks ago when I discovered some flaking in their undercoating, I'll be doing the same most likely for the Witch Hunters which shall be next month's theme. 

Hopefully I can get these done over the next 7 days without loss of motivation. There's still quite a few more Horror minis patiently waiting in their blisters, but if nothing else they'll be the beginning of next year's Halloween marathon. 

• Like 8

The Pumpkin Knights are assembled!

This was my first time attempting a head replacement and it seemed to go ok except for the one on the left who had some plumber's putty stuffed into a very large gap on his sword arm side. 

100_0637.JPG.53b6585e73f394259cace64ce1713f73.JPG

Is it normal to apologize to the minis before doing this sort of thing? Because I did. 

• Like 8

In between more naps than I anticipated I managed to get base and undercoats on everyone.

100_0646.JPG.d4a2ef39a5a9bc1f79f7e93aecbe25cb.JPG

The Witches are going to be put aside until I can get the Undying Lords finished off. The one on the left had a mold line across her face that I may need to file down a bit more and they both are going to be difficult little time sinks, since they'll be my first attempt at painting sheer clothing.

100_0649.JPG.cec1b40301214e1b2100c5be1e431f5a.JPG

The Pumpkin Knights will be my first attempt at colored armor, at least the middle and right one will be. The fellow on the left will be done in the usual metallics.

100_0647.JPG.4fa4a4c0dc17cb3ee67aa912f02ac53d.JPG

The Minotaur should be fairly straightforward assuming I can get the Hasut Copper to behave itself. The Lord of Death has a slight difference in tone due to my mixes of Red Gore/Pure Black coming out slightly differently, but they should blend together ok once the washes and highlights are added.

100_0648.JPG.6a66d754828de28914521422357eab72.JPG

The Elf and Halfling are done in Russet Brown, Auburn Shadow, and Pale Buckskin for an Autumnal vibe. The Dwarf is in a mix of Pine Green/Pure Black, Ebony Flesh, and Russet Brown, as I didn't want him to either look too much like Gimli or the Coffee Dwarves. 

• Like 8

Well, Halloween will be extending a little further this year...

The Undying Lords are done and should appear in Show Off at some point today. The Witches are as of yet no further along, but progress has been made on the Pumpkin Knights.

100_0652.JPG.7aac1e982c40df96088062861f54d996.JPG

The Green one in the center is closest to completion, needing only a final highlight on his armor and his head. The one on the right just needs work on his tabard, head and sword, and the one on the left still needs highlighting on everything. Hopefully I can get them done today.

• Like 7

The Pumpkin Knights are in Show Off, and the remaining Witches will be followed up in November's thread. Now for some gratuitous victory shots!

100_0674.JPG.5cc05c16cf05654cc91e422cfba6bd6a.JPG

The Invasion of the Mantle.

100_0675.JPG.f57ce6a103ed38f78ce0be46eb8a13d8.JPG

Vampires, Knights, and Spirits.

100_0676.JPG.0a89419e92cb0d4d2de7f55c3d8f2df2.JPG

Witches, Spiders, Goats, and Wolves.

100_0677.JPG.7e62eaa1aa209f52a6725da7d2f3cde2.JPG

Bats and Skeletons.

While I bit off more than I should have regarding the amount of terrain, (gray fatigue derailed my urge to paint for longer than it should have), I'm glad I made an effort to represent all manner of creature during the Countdown as it allowed not only a pleasing and varied display at the end, but also helped in maintaining motivation. While I wish I'd gotten more done than I did, I still finished about 40 minis in a month and a half to a standard I'm happy with. 

• Like 7